“Enchanting place... too bad about noisy room”
Review of Emerald Lake Lodge

Emerald Lake Lodge
Kamloops, BC
“Enchanting place... too bad about noisy room”
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We stayed 2 nights in a King Superior room in the month of January. Let me begin by saying that the lodge setting is second to none - enchanting is the word I would use (see photo!). What a shame that the rooms were noisy; it really took away from the peace of the setting. The lodge is a series of cabins that each house 4 rooms. The King Superior rooms are on the bottom, the less expensive Queen rooms are on the top floor. Basically, we paid more to hear people walk on our heads - and boy could we hear it! Also, there was a terrible motor noise that never ceased. We talked to the maintenance fellow and he said that there is a fan in the boiler room of each cabin to heat the floors of the bottom units. Some are noisier than others. Cabin 24 is apparently the worst followed by 13 and another I don't remember - sorry! We were assigned to 13 at first and had our room changed. The next cabin we stayed in was 32. It was better but still had the hum going all the time. We decided that the top floor would be quieter for the hum as it is further from the boiler room... plus the bonus of no-one walking on your head or the rumble of the stairs as they go up! So if you want to take in the beauty of this place, I suggest getting a top floor room. I also would imagine that the motor noise would not be present in the summer months. I mentioned this to the front desk girl and she said that the fans go all summer for cooling. We went into the boiler room and took a look and it looked as though it was just for heating to us. We're considering trying it again in the summer but just for a night or two just incase! I also found a gem of a dessert at the restaurant - the peanut butter cheesecake served with chocolate cream and hot buttered bananas. Delicious!!

• Stayed January 2006
9 Thank bemostly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 19, 2005

This was our first experience at Emerald Lake and we will be back! The drive from Calgary is scenic. The shuttle bus was waiting to take us to the lodge (4 minute drive if that.) The scenery...breathtaking. You'll see a variety of birds and squirrels and the lake is like a looking-glass.The rooms were clean and we were pleased to have robes and plenty of fire wood. We brought wine and found out you can also order wine at dinner and have it corked and taken back to your room. It is worth an upgrade to get a room with a lake view. The food was excellent at dinner and brunch. We also appreciated the coffee in room. Next time we are bringing hiking boots, smors for our fireplace, and toques to wear when you go in the outdoor hottub. If you want a quiet and very romantic weekend...one night is not enough!

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 30, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge from Oct. 23-24, 2005. The property is breathtaking, but takes a little while to get to. You have to park in a guest parking lot and wait for a shuttle to bring you up to the hotel. After you check in, the bellman (bell-boy) takes your luggage right up to your room. This was nice, because the property is quite big and the stairs up to our room were quite steep. However, we didn't realize that we basically had to use the bell-boy's service, so we failed to bring sufficient cash to tip him. We felt bad, so I would recommend bring at least $5 to tip with (there is no cash machine at the hotel). Our room was small and we felt that there was not enough space to put our luggage. I am a "neat" person, so I felt like it looked messy. The two things we did like about the room were the fireplace (very romantic) and the view of the Lake (very beautiful). After we got settled, we decided to take a hike around the lake, which I would highly recommend. There is so much to see and learn about the area. The hike takes approximately 1.5 - 2 hrs. After our hike, we went back to our room to get ready for dinner and were surprised that we could hear our neighbours talking...we could even hear them opening a bottle of wine! We thoroughly enjoyed dinner and we found the service top-notch. Our waiter and the manager were very knowledgeable and friendly. Unfortunately, the wine is VERY expensive, especially when you consider the tip, GST and PST! The BIGGEST complaint was how incredibly noisy the room was!!!! We were awoken at 7am by the screaming (bratty) child below us and were pretty much kept awake between them and our other neighbours. (You can hear pretty much everything). When we were checking out, the front desk manager asked how our stay was and we said that everything was great, but we couldn't believe how noisy the rooms were. He just kind of shrugged and said "oh well...that's too bad." The response was a little disspointing, considering how much we spent for one night. While this property is exceptional, I don't think I would be in a hurry to return. It is incredibly over-priced for the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2005
10 Thank kikio
SN Jose, CA
Reviewed October 21, 2005

We recently spent three nights at ELL. Like others I was concerned about the reviews on this website but we were delighted that we chose this lodge. It is remote, yet close enough to Lake Louise that you can easily spend part of a day or evening there. As soon as we arrived we were promptly transported to the Lodge by their shuttle. The desk staff were all wonderful. We had a lakefront room that had every amenity. The King size bed was very comfortable. Our room also had a fireplace and seating area, as well as a small dining table and mini refrigerator. The bathroom was beautifully tiled with slate. We couldn't believe how quiet and peaceful it was there. You just feel privilaged to be able to spend time in that setting. We only ate in the pub one night and the food was quite good. We did think the wine list was very expensive even compared to what we found on the menu of the restaurant we ate in at Chateau Lake Louise. We also enjoyed the funky little Truffled Pig restaurant in Field and met other ELL guests there as well. It is quite casual and alot of fun. It was cold and a little rainy in October but so cozy with a fire in our little cabin. If we needed anything including more kindling for the fire they sent someone right over. We stayed also at Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff which is owned by the same people. It was nice, but not nearly as special, as it is large and crowded with lots of people and cars. That is never the case at ELL. Staying there was one of those special treasured experiences that make a vacation truly memorable.

• Stayed September 2005
6 Thank Carol C
pine hill, nj
Reviewed October 17, 2005

I was very worried about booking our stay at EEL due to the mixed reviews, but I am glad we did. We had no problems with the transportation to and from the overnight guest parking area. Upon arrival, the front desk help was very friendly and prompt with our check in and getting our luggage to our cabin. We stayed in cabin 121, which is called the Point Cabin, and is considered the best room in all of ELL---and I have to agree. Our room was huge(I've included a picture); we had floor to ceiling windows, a giant, well stocked fireplace, a cozy couch, a sitting area in front of the fire place, large dinning room table, lots of counter space, cd player, sink, dish/glass ware, 1/2 bath off the living room, full bath, complete with heated tile floors, large sink/vanity area, jacuzzi for 2, separate stand up shower, great bath amenities, french doors into the king sized bedroom, and another door leading to a large wrap around deck, with a premier view of the lake. We truly felt like royalty.
As for noise and tourist---no problem at all. The whole property is very serine; lots of flowers in bloom, even in mid-September, and well manicure grounds. We never heard our neighbors, or even the little construction that was going on next to our cabin. In fact, it was so quiet, that one morning we could here the canoers talking on the lake. The gym was small, (however I did not use it), as well as the hot tub(small if compared to the Buffalo Mountain Lodge), but clean, which is the most important. We were a bit far from both the firepit and the hot tub, and did not use either since the property has lots of steps, and I was on crutches. Besides, we had a great jacuzzi in our room. There is a trail that goes around the lake where some moose we spotted by other guest. On a side note, one day we took an ATV ride near Golden, which was filled with fun, adventure, and beautiful views(I've included some pictures).
Now to the service and food. We did not experience anything other than perfection from the service to the quality of the food. I will admit that the food was a little expensive, but no more than some of the places we ate at in Banff for the same quality. On one particular night Chris, our waiter, helped me choose an entree from the menu. The menu is heavy on the game which I am not accustomed to. He steered me toward the caribou, which he said his picky mom even likes, so I gave it a shot. Before I knew it, I was nibbling on one of santa's reindeer, and fully enjoying my first taste of Canadian Cuisine. For dessert, we requested to sit on the couch in front of the fireplace, which he happily took us to. Our dessert was looked like a work of art, and tasted like a slice of heaven. We just sat back and enjoyed the whole ambience of the main lodge. We never felt neglected, ignored, or rushed. It was a perfect evening. Breakfast was the same. My husband had the blueberry pancakes which were 90% blueberries, and I had banana bread french toast, that I am still dreaming about. The coffee was constantly filled which is always a big plus with us.
All in all, our experience at ELL was top notch. I hope that if we are to visit again, that we have the same memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2005
15 Thank tripgirl74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Field
Deer Lodge
#3 of 5 in Lake Louise
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
HI Lake Louise Alpine Centre
#5 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Emerald Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!