“Beautiful Location , but...”
Review of Emerald Lake Lodge

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed for only a single night stay last night. The scenery and setting are beautiful. The main lodge very unique and enjoyed hearing some of the history of the location on our shuttle ride.
When we arrived into our room in seemed quite warm, we adjusted the thermostat, and were hoping that it would cool down. After feeling like we were attempting to sleep in a sauna, we had to call for maitenance help at 1230am. The problem was fixed, and after keeping the window open for a while we were finally able to fall asleep. Only to be woken twice more before our morning waking time by the guests in the room above ours. This morning while showering the tub would not drain, thus only my husband was able to shower and the rest of us went as is!! Not so pleasant after being way too hot overnight. I reported this to the front desk and the staff didn't seem to care, nor apologize or acknowledge my concern.
Although the breakfast food was quite good, very pricey.
Although I would love to see this area again in the summer, not sure that we would stay again.

Room Tip: request a upper level room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Kim F

Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Our favourite hotel on our 6 week trip to Alberta and BC was The Emerald Lake Lodge. emerald Lake should not be missed for its sheer beauty. We dined in the fabulous Mount Burgess Dining Room, which features Rocky Mountain cuisine, prepared by one of the country's best chefs. The restaurant is a must for anyone who loves food and expects the extraordinary. Take a walk around the lake because the visions nature presents are breath-taking and fresh. Definitely one of the best stays in BC country. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Mike F
CRMRManagment, General Manager at Emerald Lake Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Emerald Lake Lodge! We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced the excellent level of customer service we strive to provide. We hope to welcome you back again in the future!
Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Each time we travel through the Rockies from Calgary to the west coast we stop at this romantic spot to relax and enjoy each others company. Each room has a wood-burning fireplace with cozy chairs to snuggle up in. There is nothing like going to sleep high in the mountains with a fire burning and waking warm under a down comforter. Summer or winter the lake and surrounding mountains bring a smile to your face. The staff and ambiance are welcoming from the phone call you make for a ride up to the hotel from the parking lot to the bus ride down.

Room Tip: Choose a room overlooking the lake
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I stayed here 2 days on our honeymoon. We were surprised that you can't drive your vehicle in. You park in the guest parking lot, & then the shuttle bus takes you 1km up to the lodge. Drivers were very friendly. Our room was small, but beautiful - wood burning fireplace, queen bed. The hot tub was the best one we have been in, not too hot. The one downfall is all your meals must be bought in the lodge, & that gets costly - but meals are excellent - good cross country skiing & rental on site. Overall it was good

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I stayed at Emerald Lake Lodge this past December, 2012 as a short getaway before having to work over the Holiday Season. It is as described, a relaxing lodge with little to no traffic as the parking lot is approximately a 1 km away. I really enjoyed the seclusion and peacefulness of this place. The problem that I encountered was also related to the food. The food was expensive,ok fine, but it just wasn't good i.e at breakfast I had the eggs benedict and they were inedible due to the sour taste of the hollandaise sauce. The steak is expensively priced for a poor cut, and there is great inconsistency from day to day. The first day I ate in the dinning room I ordered a martini (apple something) was very tasty, the next night I ordered the same Martini and it was half the size for the same price? It wasn't an illusion as the previous night I had actually taken a photo of the Martini because I like to photo food/beverages at times, I could clearly see the difference in the amount you received. I brought it up to the server with minimal response " they said it couldn't have been different as that is what they normally do". There are other menu irritations, you can order an appetizer salad or an appetizer with a salad for basically the same price. The salads are the same HOWEVER the salad appetizer alone size is smaller than the salad paired with the sandwich for example but they cost the same? Maybe they don't realize that people look at these things and whether you enjoy fine dinning or not anyone can notices these inconsistencies.

Another side note, I also slipped and feel down the first set of stairs closest to the lodge the morning we were to leave, there was a young gentlemen shoveling near by and he did nothing nor did anyone else at the lodge. There are many many stairs at this place and when it snows they are quite dangerous so just be careful and do not expect help.

Having said all of that I would still return because I really loved the cross country skiing trails and the cabins themselves, I would not eat again at the dinning room and would probably drive the extra time into local areas for dinner if need and keep a variety of things in the room for other meals. I would go with very little service expectations which wouldn't be a problem if the price would reflect this, unfortunately at these prices I expect a little more service.

Jennife

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Emerald Lake Lodge. We are pleased you enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and the cross country skiing. We would like to express our apologies for the level of service you received in a few circumstances while staying with us. The service which you have described does certainly not meet the standard we strive to provide. We hope that if you visit us again in the future, all aspects of your stay will be enjoyable.
Many Thanks and Kind Regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We have been going here for years and it's one of our favorite places in Canada for a reason. The staff are top notch, the setting is breath-taking, the cabins are cozy (you can go for very basic to much classier depending on your budget...note that they are very basic if you don't pony up for better rooms so if you expect more than rustic you will be dissapointed), the food is good and reasonably priced and the lodge is cozy and begs for you to sit by the fireplace while sipping wine.

There is no cell reception and the only TV is in the lodge so if you can't deal with that then this is not the place for you. It caters to people who want to snowshoe and cross country ski in the winter (you can rent equipment there) and in the summer they rent canoes and there are amazing hiking trails for people at every level of fitness.

It is family friendly and the parents seem to be the aware types that recognize that people go there to relax and don't want to listen to their kids be obnoxious. Everyone has always been respectful and (in the case of children) extremely well behaved.

There is a nice big hot tub outside which is always very clean. They have a firepit so you can sit outside if you wish. Each room has a real fireplace and they provide dummy-proof wood/kindling and paper.

I have been here 6 times and will go back many more times.

Room Tip: All rooms are very quiet and I have always slept exceptionally well there. If you had a cabin direc...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My family stayed there for 2 nights at early Oct.,2012. The most beautiful monent was early in the morning before the travel bus arrived, so quiet and so clear.Do spend half day or two hours to walk around the lake , it is worthwhile. The shuttle bus between hotel and parking zoo is very efficient.
When I checked in, I was told that my two kids'(7&9) breadfast were included, and gave me two vouches for adult only. Next day when we went for breadfast, the restaurant manger insisted we have to pay for the kid, $11 for each.This make me feeling very bad, but I didn't want to argue with her in public,so i paid for it . Later, I wrote a letter to the hotel management email address publiced in tripadvisor.com, she replied very soon and agreed to refund $44 to my credit card.So it is a happy ending, but make me have a new habit, double check whether the kids' breadfast are included while check in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank guang n
Also consider these accommodations in or near Field
Deer Lodge
Cathedral Mountain Lodge
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
Baker Creek Mountain Resort
#3 of 10 in Lake Louise

Been to Emerald Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!