“Best weekend EVER!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Falls Windsor
Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland
Reviewed March 25, 2013

One word sums up our weekend at Riverfront Chalets ... Awesome!! The complete experience was above and beyond I could ever imagine it to be. The Chalet was clean, comfortable cozy. The weather co-operated which made our snowmobile tour the perfect combination of exhilarating and relaxing. As we drive back to reality we are making plans for our next stay at Riverfront Chalets :-)

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Son_Rod
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Hi Rodney,
I really appreciate the comments! I enjoyed taking you guys out very much. The private tours are often the best! I hope you decide to upgrade your machine for next winter....you know the difference now LOL. Also, thanks so much for the crab and shrimp! Fisherpeople are always so generous

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our second visit to the chalets was even better than the first, as we took in a snowmobile tour of Hodges Hill. We were treated to a homemade hot meal at the warm up cabin miles back into the woods which has a distant view of the "Ice Castle". Paul (the owner) bases his tours on the ability of the group and makes you feel very welcome and comfortable.

Book with Riverfront and you won't be disappointed. The accommodations and view of the river and nature are stunning. The adventures are endless and the people are awesome.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Ktsrose

Hi Trisha,
I am sure we are related somewhere along the way....not too many Roses around! Thanks for taking the time to post the kind comments. I am glad the day worked out for your hubby after we installed the scratchers. It would have been a shame if I didnt happen to have them in stock. A great day indeed!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

The 4 of us (2 couples) stayed here for 2 nights and did some snowmobiling including taking a tour with Paul to Hodges Hill. The chalets are beautiful as is the the view of the river and sunset. You can understand why the chalets are worth more than the normal cabins in the Province. We have stayed in many locations and this is amongst the best. We arrived ahead of schedule and were given access to the chalets ahead of check-in to change into our snow gear. not sure what happened to a previous reviewer but we found everything in perfect order including lots of hot water when we all had showers in the morning. One of our vehicles was having issues and the owner drove us to Grand Falls and arranged an appointment at the dealer for us.

The tour to Hodges Hill and the inside cabin was exceptional. Paul ( owner ) was determined that all had a great experience. It was interesting how he struck the right balance between us as experienced sledders and the family from France who were on snowmobiles ( chalet rentals) for the first time. By the end of the day we were all friends and agreed it was one of the nicest days in the country we have had.

We would highly recommend this place to all. We will surely return.

The Folletts

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wayne F

Thanks for coming out again Wayne....the pleasure was all mine. Its so nice to have easy going people like yourself. It rubs off on me for sure! Looking forward to seeing you next winter if not sooner. We have awesome conditions out here now BTW....more snow now than we had all winter in the hills!

Reviewed February 23, 2013

I hate to be the only one saying "Beware" but I think that for people with kids there are significant issues that you need to be ready for. When you pay close to $300 for a night you expect service and this is where this place fails. The location and physical quality of the cabins is beyond excellent and cannot be better. If you are a couple go for it. If you are family with young ones PLEASE read on

First off this is a family owned place. Issue with Family ownership is that there is no management based on your ability but on who is closest to you (its cheaper to have a relative than hire a professional team I guess). When I arrived I had some minor issues like no Wifi, no phones (you must have a cell phone on Telus or you cannot even call the front desk), no one picking the phone etc. Adding to that was the fact the water went cold after taking two showers. I have two young kids and one infant. The water was not just cold but freezing (you cannot hold your hand under it). Thought it was a water heater issue. Called and got told that it should be good in 30 minutes. Fast forward to 3 hrs and still same. With smelly kids this was turning a sour but no biggee as kids were happy with the place. After hrs I tried calling the front desk and no one picked up. Suddenly the remoteness of this place hit me. If there is any issues with fire/injury you are hosed (later I was told "the phone was in my basement and I was sleeping upstairs" Good one). Called around 10 times. No answer. I was later told also that the owner is no in and all they have is one guy who is multi tasking.
No issues still, Trying to sleep I pulled out the air mattress and after inflating it for 10 minutes found a gaping hole on the side (a piece of tissue was stuck in it...nice). Now it was becoming annoying. Granted I finally got hold of a new one from them but come one!. I am tired and need to sleep not spend 1 hr looking for bed space in a supposedly four star chalet (i by the way hate the word chalet now).

Still moving on. Woke up in the morning and got my hot shower. After 2 showers back to square one. Got call back from the owner who said that the limit of this cabin is 2 showers for hot water. Really?
I never realized how much you need hot water. You cannot wash dishes (which you have to wash as this 4 star place has no dishwasher), you cannot shave and any other business. I literally had to heat the water in a kettle and use that to get my kids clean in the morning. Adding insult to injury was the comments from the owners blaming each other and saying that this is a remote place don't expect Wifi or too much hot water or air beds working (apparently that is the previous guest fault who did not inform him on the hole).

Later went for snow showing and got directed to the wrong area (towards river not the river trail) and almost entered the frozen river and realized that this is not right. Called back and got told "Oops, not that way, the other way. I just remembered". By this time I smiled and pulled my wife back and put on a brave smile saying "come on where is the adventure if you don't get lost once in a while".

At the end I had to clean dishes after my family, empty the trash cans (it is required: or you get hit by a fee) . We could not use the jacuzzi which they proudly display in pictures.

Overall the place (as in physical place) is amazing. the cabin is well made and very 4 star like. Maybe they should add a water heater and a dishwasher and answer the phones but then again I cannot ask for everything since we are in the middle of nowhere (and "not in a hotel" as the owner kept saying)

Room Tip: Please call and ask in the owner is in or out. If he is out then run away.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank farif2
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

I apologize that you did not have a positive experience at the chalets. As I explained on the phone we were away at the Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador conference and could not be there to address your concerns. I wish I could have been as I am sure your experience would have been different. I also appreciate the many kind words you wrote in your post. Considering how upset you were, I was surprised you mentioned so many good things. To address your concerns though, each chalet has a 40 gallon hot water tank which is quite sufficient for one bathroom. I expect you are used to a hotel setting where there is an unlimited amount of hot water. When the chalets were built, the plumber installed 30 gallon tanks. One day, after being open for less than 6 months a customer politely suggested the tanks were not big enough because of the size of the Jacuzzis in the chalets. I checked into it and he was correct. 40 gallon tanks should have been installed. Within two days all the tanks were replaced and we have never had a comment since...6 years. According to what my employees were telling me it sounded like you were simply exhausting the supply and not giving sufficient recovery time, which would be one hour (sorry you were mislead by being told 30 minutes). The tank was checked and was fine. They simply could not do anything more about this, and being 450 km away on a weekend night, neither could I. With regard to the air mattress you requested, luckily we had a new one still in the box at the office and this was brought to you right away. Sorry about the damaged one though but until a client points out this type of problem, we cannot address it. With regard to misdirection for the trailhead you indeed could have gone either way and there was certainly no danger of falling into the river as the ice is very thick. There was no open water at all. The walking trail does start in front of the chalets and leads upriver past our home before it heads into the woods but because the river was so backed up with pack ice it was hidden. The trail you eventually took was actually the road I use with equipment for bringing up material for trail building. That is why the first part until you get to the river is so wide. With regard to answering the phone after hours, again, I apologize for that. We are a small family business with just 4 chalets and we don’t have a repair man hired for when we are away, which is very seldom. In fact, one holiday per year and the HNL conference is it. I am the repair man. Yes, I had family stay at the chalets in case someone needed towels or something like that. But truthfully....the after hours phone hardly ever rings and he was not at all prepared to deal with your issues. He was very upset about your being so disappointed on his watch. We have had many families stay here since we opened and as you can see from the reviews both here and on our site, they just love it. All I can say is that I wish I was here during your stay and that I would like to discuss in person how I can make it up to you if you are ever in Central again. Sorry.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in the chalets for two nights and had an amazing time. The chalets were clean, very comfortable and had a great view! The staff were friendly and helpful. We spent a lot of time in the outdoor hot tub overlooking the river and had a nice afternoon snow-shoeing!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Hi Yuri,
I am glad you had a good time here for new years! I wish I spent a little more time with your group but the few chats we had were great. Your group seemed like an awesome bunch too! Hope to see you this summer for the rafting LOL!

Reviewed December 4, 2012

I did not know we had river rafting in Newfoundland until a friend told me she had done it with her family. I had a few days off and decided to make a little adventure out of it. The bus ride out to the chute run was really fun with the guides playing games and gags. The guides were very knowledgeable and I really felt safe even in the roughest waters. They served a healthy lunch included in the price and believe me, you really get a workout and get hungry. I got thrown overboard by my son a couple of times so be prepared to get soaked. The ride down river is amazing and thrilling and takes up a good part of the day. You will sleep good that night.I would recommend this for the whole family and I can't wait to do it again. The guides have waterproof cameras and they take hundreds of pictures during the trip and you can get a CD a the end for about $20. A great souvenir and the pictures are amazing.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had an awesome trip during our Badger Chute run and plan to do the more adventurous canyon run next year. We would highly recommend the Badger run for beginners and families. The guides made us feel very safe and can easily accommodate the run according to your comfort level. You should be prepared to get wet and a have a lot of fun. The Chalets look warm and inviting and we intend to stay for a night or two during our next trip. Thanks to the staff for a excellent time!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland? Share your experiences!