“Not for Families”

Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland
“Not for Families”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I hate to be the only one saying "Beware" but I think that for people with kids there are significant issues that you need to be ready for. When you pay close to $300 for a night you expect service and this is where this place fails. The location and physical quality of the cabins is beyond excellent and cannot be better. If you are a couple go for it. If you are family with young ones PLEASE read on

First off this is a family owned place. Issue with Family ownership is that there is no management based on your ability but on who is closest to you (its cheaper to have a relative than hire a professional team I guess). When I arrived I had some minor issues like no Wifi, no phones (you must have a cell phone on Telus or you cannot even call the front desk), no one picking the phone etc. Adding to that was the fact the water went cold after taking two showers. I have two young kids and one infant. The water was not just cold but freezing (you cannot hold your hand under it). Thought it was a water heater issue. Called and got told that it should be good in 30 minutes. Fast forward to 3 hrs and still same. With smelly kids this was turning a sour but no biggee as kids were happy with the place. After hrs I tried calling the front desk and no one picked up. Suddenly the remoteness of this place hit me. If there is any issues with fire/injury you are hosed (later I was told "the phone was in my basement and I was sleeping upstairs" Good one). Called around 10 times. No answer. I was later told also that the owner is no in and all they have is one guy who is multi tasking.
No issues still, Trying to sleep I pulled out the air mattress and after inflating it for 10 minutes found a gaping hole on the side (a piece of tissue was stuck in it...nice). Now it was becoming annoying. Granted I finally got hold of a new one from them but come one!. I am tired and need to sleep not spend 1 hr looking for bed space in a supposedly four star chalet (i by the way hate the word chalet now).

Still moving on. Woke up in the morning and got my hot shower. After 2 showers back to square one. Got call back from the owner who said that the limit of this cabin is 2 showers for hot water. Really?
I never realized how much you need hot water. You cannot wash dishes (which you have to wash as this 4 star place has no dishwasher), you cannot shave and any other business. I literally had to heat the water in a kettle and use that to get my kids clean in the morning. Adding insult to injury was the comments from the owners blaming each other and saying that this is a remote place don't expect Wifi or too much hot water or air beds working (apparently that is the previous guest fault who did not inform him on the hole).

Later went for snow showing and got directed to the wrong area (towards river not the river trail) and almost entered the frozen river and realized that this is not right. Called back and got told "Oops, not that way, the other way. I just remembered". By this time I smiled and pulled my wife back and put on a brave smile saying "come on where is the adventure if you don't get lost once in a while".

At the end I had to clean dishes after my family, empty the trash cans (it is required: or you get hit by a fee) . We could not use the jacuzzi which they proudly display in pictures.

Overall the place (as in physical place) is amazing. the cabin is well made and very 4 star like. Maybe they should add a water heater and a dishwasher and answer the phones but then again I cannot ask for everything since we are in the middle of nowhere (and "not in a hotel" as the owner kept saying)

Room Tip: Please call and ask in the owner is in or out. If he is out then run away.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank farif2
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I apologize that you did not have a positive experience at the chalets. As I explained on the phone we were away at the Hospitality Newfoundland and Labrador conference and could not be there to address your concerns. I wish I could have been as I am sure your experience would have been different. I also appreciate the many kind words you wrote in your post. Considering how upset you were, I was surprised you mentioned so many good things. To address your concerns though, each chalet has a 40 gallon hot water tank which is quite sufficient for one bathroom. I expect you are used to a hotel setting where there is an unlimited amount of hot water. When the chalets were built, the plumber installed 30 gallon tanks. One day, after being open for less than 6 months a customer politely suggested the tanks were not big enough because of the size of the Jacuzzis in the chalets. I checked into it and he was correct. 40 gallon tanks should have been installed. Within two days all the tanks were replaced and we have never had a comment since...6 years. According to what my employees were telling me it sounded like you were simply exhausting the supply and not giving sufficient recovery time, which would be one hour (sorry you were mislead by being told 30 minutes). The tank was checked and was fine. They simply could not do anything more about this, and being 450 km away on a weekend night, neither could I. With regard to the air mattress you requested, luckily we had a new one still in the box at the office and this was brought to you right away. Sorry about the damaged one though but until a client points out this type of problem, we cannot address it. With regard to misdirection for the trailhead you indeed could have gone either way and there was certainly no danger of falling into the river as the ice is very thick. There was no open water at all. The walking trail does start in front of the chalets and leads upriver past our home before it heads into the woods but because the river was so backed up with pack ice it was hidden. The trail you eventually took was actually the road I use with equipment for bringing up material for trail building. That is why the first part until you get to the river is so wide. With regard to answering the phone after hours, again, I apologize for that. We are a small family business with just 4 chalets and we don’t have a repair man hired for when we are away, which is very seldom. In fact, one holiday per year and the HNL conference is it. I am the repair man. Yes, I had family stay at the chalets in case someone needed towels or something like that. But truthfully....the after hours phone hardly ever rings and he was not at all prepared to deal with your issues. He was very upset about your being so disappointed on his watch. We have had many families stay here since we opened and as you can see from the reviews both here and on our site, they just love it. All I can say is that I wish I was here during your stay and that I would like to discuss in person how I can make it up to you if you are ever in Central again. Sorry.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed in the chalets for two nights and had an amazing time. The chalets were clean, very comfortable and had a great view! The staff were friendly and helpful. We spent a lot of time in the outdoor hot tub overlooking the river and had a nice afternoon snow-shoeing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
RiverfrontChalets, Owner at Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Hi Yuri,
I am glad you had a good time here for new years! I wish I spent a little more time with your group but the few chats we had were great. Your group seemed like an awesome bunch too! Hope to see you this summer for the rafting LOL!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

I did not know we had river rafting in Newfoundland until a friend told me she had done it with her family. I had a few days off and decided to make a little adventure out of it. The bus ride out to the chute run was really fun with the guides playing games and gags. The guides were very knowledgeable and I really felt safe even in the roughest waters. They served a healthy lunch included in the price and believe me, you really get a workout and get hungry. I got thrown overboard by my son a couple of times so be prepared to get soaked. The ride down river is amazing and thrilling and takes up a good part of the day. You will sleep good that night.I would recommend this for the whole family and I can't wait to do it again. The guides have waterproof cameras and they take hundreds of pictures during the trip and you can get a CD a the end for about $20. A great souvenir and the pictures are amazing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Gander, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had an awesome trip during our Badger Chute run and plan to do the more adventurous canyon run next year. We would highly recommend the Badger run for beginners and families. The guides made us feel very safe and can easily accommodate the run according to your comfort level. You should be prepared to get wet and a have a lot of fun. The Chalets look warm and inviting and we intend to stay for a night or two during our next trip. Thanks to the staff for a excellent time!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

While we didn't stay at the Chalets, we did go on the rafting trip. It was great!! The guides were very friendly and knowledgeable about the rapids and the water. They knew what they were doing and made it very safe for us all. Safe, but NOT boring! I have and will continue to recommend this to anyone who visits your great province!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at the Riverfront Chalets and it was an awesome experience that I highly recommend to anyone visiting NL! The accommodations were spotless and very comfortable. The staff and owners were extremely friendly and very accommodating. The rafting trip was excellent and the guides were very knowledgeable and a whole lot of fun! .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Paradise, NL, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

This was my first visit and it won't be my last. The chalets were beautiful, clean and comfortable. It was such a relaxing place to be - with the smell of the wood and the magnificent view of the Exploits adding to it! The owners could not do enough for you and were very accommodating. Thank you and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
#1 of 2 in St Barbe
Carriage House Inn
Carriage House Inn
#1 of 2 in Grand Falls Windsor

Been to Riverfront Chalets & Rafting Newfoundland? Share your experiences!