“Largest chicken balls you ever saw!”

Rickshaw Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 64 Restaurants in Gravenhurst
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed March 29, 2014

This unassuming place on Main St. knows how to serve up huge portions of Chinese (and Thai) food. You may have to keep your coat on because its always cold in there and the coffee sucks but the combo plates are heaping with chicken balls size of a fist, lots of steamed veggies and tasty fried rice. Prices are way to cheap for what you get. A few locals have recognized the cheap beer prices too. No decor but good food at low prices.

1  Thank andypegonthego

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The food is typical low class Chinese. I have never had a nice meal there. The service is worse than the food and thambience is non existent.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Been eating at Rick Shaw before the Mah days always had a great time and enjoyed fast good food at a fast service and a reasonable price. BUT, stopped in December 7 2013 to order Chicken Balls and Beef Chop Suey and went to wash up as chiness waitress walked to back for place our order. I stopped her before she got to the kitchen and asked her why two chairs in front of washroom hall. She said washroom broke pipe broken no water. I looked threw windows in kitchen door and it was definitely in repair. I said no water in kitchen. She said no water in building. I said What. Cancel our order have a good day bye. Went down to Rombos and had a delicious pizza and fries which was hand cut thanks Vivian.

1  Thank steve t
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Give this one a PASS......

This is definitely the worst Chinese restaurant (or for that matter any kind of restaurant I have ever been to) located at Gravenhurst. The experience is definitely not worth a try....... They have a menu and pictures of dishes which look like a copy from some restaurant at Toronto or thereoff. One irate chef and an even worse tempered waitress is what you get as you walk in. You have to wait to be seated cause this is the only waitress there and so she would come to the door only when she has finished up all the things inside (she also does the phone orders and counter sales and gets supplies from the open store room).

We tried the Seasame Chicken, Veg Fried Rice, Kung Pao Chicken, General Tao Chicken and Chopsuey. Well you really had to search for the seasame with a search light to find a grain or two. The chicken in general appeared to be under cooked and rubbery. The Kung Pao Chicken really was not Kung Pao it was more of a mix veg with some chicken thrown in - on hind sight. The General Tao had Chicken pieces of 2 completely different textures - it appeared a mix of Chicken and Beef. On asking the Chef why this was so he replied well if you don't want it I'll take it back but I won't give you a replacement or take it off the bill in the roughest of language. Well it appeared that we had offended him but I could definitely tell you that this is not how you would like to be treated as a paying customer. My opinion of Chinese people was of a hard working community and extremely polite people yet this one experience was completely to the contrary, really made me rethink on the proverb - One bad fish can cause a stink in the pond. Coming back to the food the Chopsuey was just boiled noodles and some vegetables I think they forgot to actually cook the dish. Oh yes the chef delivers too so your order may have to wait if he's on a delivery. I think the waitress just took it out of the wok and served before he could complete the dish (after finishing delivery).

Don't ask for water you will see the fish in the glass. Just take a bottle or a can of soda its not worth the diarrhoea..

We met other families who suggested that there were other Chinese restaurants in a 10km radius which had much better service and food......

First time in my life when I did not leave a tip......

DEFINITELY ONE TO AVOID...... EVEN IF YOU ARE A DIE HARD FAN OF CHINESE FOOD......

4  Thank msahni78
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This place offers authentic Chinese and Westernized Chinese food. I like that there are reasonable vegetarian options available. I liked the "old-school" Chinese restaurant feel to this place, though some might call it a hole in the wall. The service was fast, professional and honest. It seemed to be a popular place with locals and tourists alike.We ordered the spicy green beans and the spicy bean curd with vegetables (Sichuan/Szechuan- style). It was delicious in that salty, greasy Chinese style, so this would not be the choice for a healthy diner. A big bonus is that it offers an MSG-FREE option upon request!

We did not try the other place called Chinese House, but we did go in to check out the menu and the place. The decor of the place was a bit strange and it did not really offer vegetarian options. We decided to go to the Rickshaw instead and I think we both agreed that it turned out to be a good decision.

3  Thank Binky222