“Disappointing Experience”

Cuisines: American, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We only stopped here because of the high ratings on TripAdvisor. Now I notice people either love or hate the place. There seems to be no middle ground.
We each had a sandwich. My chicken club had processed chicken between two slices of ordinary bread with lettuce and tomato. The dressing used on the sandwich had no particular taste. With just a couple small pickle slices and a little coleslaw the price was too high.
The coffee was watery with little flavor.
My wife, a vegetarian, had very little choice, just onion soup and a salad. She finally chose a BBLT and asked for cheese rather than bacon. Se got a slice of processed cheese and otherwise the same ingredients I had on my sandwich. I guess that's efficiency.
In general the place had a shabby appearance inside and out as did the attached motel.

3  Thank Andris P
M K, Owner at The Farmer's Plate, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

You must have been in a different restaurant because we DO NOT use ANY process food, so the chicken was and always is real chicken breast girlled and sliced in the house as well as the cheese was real Provolone cheese. You are more than welcome to come in and see it for yourself. Club Sandwich and BLT Sandwich are standard sandwiches with chicken/bacon, lettuce and tomato (you can google it if you wish) and all ingridients are listed in the menu so I really do not understand your disapointment or expectations.
Our coffee is localy roasted organic coffee and we take pride in serving it.
Our bread is from the local bakery and we are also proud of serving it.

Is $8.95 really too much for a REAL CHICKEN sandwich?

Margaret Kaspar- Farmer's Plate owner.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My partner and I live in Muskoka and there were a couple more times we had attended at this restaurant and all times were amazing! They have such amazing food it reminds me of my european roots and the staff are genuine and friendly.....highly recommend!!

Thank you for your kind words, and we are trully happy we can remind you of your european roots with our food :)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

A business associate and I are in Gravenhurst doing training for a local school district. After training we all went here. The restaurant is closed on Monday and Tuesday during the off season but does private parties. The party consisted of about 15 people. We had a choice of 3 entrees: Roast Chicken, Tortellini or Baked Whitefish. I chose the later.

This is a family run restaurant. Margaret, one of the owners, was our waitress and did an excellent job of taking drink orders first. Some had beer, one local in a bottle. I had a glass of merlot ($6.50). Drinks were not included.

There was a choice of soup (cream of Broccoli) or a house salad with a homemade vinaigrette dressing. I had the salad, very good. Others who had the soup like it a lot.

My plate with the Whitefish came with fresh asparagus, perfectly cooked al dente, and with mashed potatoes. The fish was well seasoned, as were the potatoes. The other two choices judging by comments were also excellent.

Dessert had 4 choices: Cranberry bread pudding, Chocolate Mousse, Carrot cake, or Lemon tart-all homemade. I had the mousse, smooth and creamy.

The full menu looked good and inviting. If we have time, we will go back when open during normal hours. Located next to Howard Johnson Hotel. Nice place. Margaret was great doing serving and clearing all on her own..

We are so glad we could have been part of your special dinner, and we are glad to hear that everyone has enjoyed the party.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A quaint medium sized restaurant with a simple menu. I have had numerous lunches there and always order from the "daily special board". The ham, brie, cranberry sauce on a croissant is very good. The fish dishes are nice too. The specials are very interesting and international. Always pleased with the food and the service.

Thank you for taking time and leaving your comment. We always appreciate our local customers.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We always choose the Farmer's Plate when we have company or a special occasion that says "Let's go out for dinner". The food is always always good and the prices are so reasonable. The chef comes out to see the patrons when he has a minute, and the servers are family members with such lovely personalities. The chef/owner changes up the menu just often enough to keep it really interesting without completely abandoning the favourites, and we know some of the farmers who supply the vegetables in season. Wine etc. is available, and the desserts are heavenly. Have never heard a negative comment from anyone in town, and have heard so many people rave about it. It is a welcome addition to our town and a great substitute for the chains. We are going there tonight with company and I am SOOOO looking forward to it.

Thank you for such a nice comment! We love our local customers :)