Taboo Muskoka Resort
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$84
$107
Wellington Inn(Bracebridge)(Great Value!)
$101
$132
Gold Pine Inn Motel(Gravenhurst)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsboathouse restaurantgolf coursetennis courtsboat houseview of the lakemain restaurantnew cheffine dininghiking trailsget awaywonderful weekendking roomspapoolsmuskokafireplacesummer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We did not stay at the property over night but were actually passing through on our way to North Bay to stay with friends and encountered the hotel by pure luck.
We stayed for a meal within the main restaurant in what they call the "Culinary Theatre", different to what we had ever seen before with a resemblance to a western style up market tepanaki bar.
What we experienced was an absolute delight, the two chefs that served us that night were amazing and extremely talented a fellow Englishman and a Japanese chap, the food was out of this world with a stunning view over lake Muskoka and beautiful sunset made the perfect night.
The cooking tips the English chef gave my wife were excellant.

The foodjunkey

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2008

We spent a weekend in August at the Taboo Resort together with a couple of friends after seeing it on the Internet.
Everything (location, rooms) was pretty much as advertised, however we found the restaurant quite expensive for the level of cousine.

Everything was pretty much as expected until we had the bad idea of renting a boat at the waterfront. After a small tour of the lake, on our way in, we made a tiny scratch on the side of the boat by sliding against a docked boat belonging to the resort that had an underwater, unprotected sharp ledge on the side.

To our utmost surprise, the company decided to charge the full 2000$ deposit without even assessing the damage. When I tried to complain with the resort, the front desk clerk said that 'they had nothing to do with the boat rental company'.

After calling the credit card company, I discovered that the 2000$ charge was actually a 'book' charge by the rental company. Speaking to the boat rental company, they said they will assess the damage and refund the difference.

On checkout, I checked my bill and there was no trace of the 2000$ charge.

I started calling daily the rental company and kept getting no answer whatsoever on when the damage would be assessed. At one point they even stopped answering the phone.

A few days later, to my surprise, a 2000$ charge, this time a real transaction, appeared on my credit card statement, from 'Taboo Resort'. After contacting them, they said this time that 'they run all charges for their waterfront rental' and that the 'mechanics were too busy to assess the damages'. Bottom line: they lied about having nothing to do with the boat rental to brush me off when I was on location, and then they ran a charge using my credit card on file in my absence. Unreal.

I have now disputed the charge with Visa and am pretty sure they will help straighten out things - however I felt very strongly that this should be shared with other people thinking of going to the resort.

• Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank Cidonio
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Defiantly would go back!!!! The rooms were huge and new with a gorgeous view of Lake Muskoka. Gravenhurst is a lovely town. Pool is nice as is golf course. All three restaurants are great, much better Deerhurst.

• Stayed: August 2006
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I booked this resort for 2 nights weekend based on their great web site. Then I read the tripadvisor reviews, which are mostly negative and we were prepared to drive back as soon as we encounter the same low quality of service etc that everybody here complained about.
We had booked a deluxe lake view room and this is exaclty what we got. The room was far from luxurious (no flat screen TV, no marble or granit in the bathroom, old furniture and noisy AC) but everything was very clean and the view of the lake was spectacular. When we are on vacation, we want to explore the area, do things, eat good food and enjoy nature. We do not stay in the room so the lack of luxury could not spoil our trip. We are used to the Westin standards and the room at Taboo was below those. Having said that we will definitely go back to Taboo and here is why:

* amazing location on lake Muskoka, nice beach
* excellent 5 star fusion type cuisine in Elements; dinner for two including wine and tip was close to $300 but worth every penny; we will be back for the elk medalions, rack of lamb and best of all - devine lemon parfait with berries compote!!; both food and service were excellent; the food in the Boathouse was half the price of Elements and also excellent; breakfast buffet at Elements is very good - fresh berries, egg station, fresh croissants and pastries, cereal, french toast and pancakes, smoked salmon etc etc for $21 pp; the live jazz piano music in the evening was a nice touch as well;
* the golf course is spectacular and we saw a deer; the tennis courts are well maintained and they even give you equipment if needed (we had ours but saw other people borrowing rackets and balls); the water sports center staff were very friendly and helped us rent a motor boat; we had great time exploring the lake; the spa is also worth the visit and I had a very relaxing aromatherapy massage with Tania; the point is - there is plenty of things to do and see at Taboo for adults and for kids; we did not travel with small kids but saw many families who were having a great time and the kids did not bother us at all;
* all members of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful even though they were busy with a wedding and couple of conferences that were taking place during our visit; just one example - we were looking for one of the hiking trails and one member of the staff who was going home after work not only asked us if we needed any help but she even walked with us to the trailhead to ensure we do not miss it; she really did not have to do it as part of her job since her shift was over but she was genuinely happy to help us;
So after we spent 2 days golfing, playing tennis, swimming, boating, hiking, having massage in the spa and eating excellent food, we are looking forward to our next visit to Taboo.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Despite what you see on the Internet this resort is horrible. They do not show you the "Classic" suites on the Internet only the "Signature" suites. For $300 a night in the claissic you get a room with furniture that is 30+ years old and a mouldy bathroom to match! No exageration. I discussed my disappointment with the manager who declared he would call me in my room the next day with a solution to enhance my stay and no called materialized. This is a thinly disguised version of the old Muskoka Sands hotel. The people behind Great Gulf homes in Toronto, who are the owners, should be embarassed and this hurts their credibility.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank bfund