“Very Impressive Rooms”

Taboo Muskoka Resort
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gravenhurst
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed at Taboo for a business conference and was very impressed overall. The meeting facilities were very bright and open and the rooms were very modern and spacious with phenomenal views. The staff seems a little inexperienced and the checkin experience could use a little work but I would highly recommend this resort for the rooms, views and facilities alone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Taboo Muskoka Resort

Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Came here for our anniversary and wasn't pleased with our stay. We weren't greeted or checked in promptly. We were the only couple in line and the attendant left the counter and walked right by us without saying a word. We waited patiently for someone to show up. Parking was inconvenient to say the least-far and few spaces unless you pay the premium prices. Checked into our room +300 only to find the room bare and uninspiring, nice view of the parking lot though. Blinds didn't do there job and the am sun greeted us early and promptly. Soo much potential here however so much disappointment. Our shower broke first thing but was repaired. What a gong show-we won't be returning.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank TooCent
Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at taboo resort last month. It is a beautiful muskoka hotel (although we haven't stayed at any others, it certainly looks like the nicest from our booking research).
Amazing facilities, very modern rooms, friendly staff who were very helpful in booking us a golf time. In addition to the water activities they have tennis courts and great bike trails and they lend bikes.
Breakfast was excellent with lots of healthy and less healthy items. Overall great hotel and we'll be back whenever we do get back to muskoka.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I set up a group of executives to stay at Taboo for an offisite including golf. They all found the resort simply outstanding and the staff fabulous! The food was also incredible. All in all a very first rate experience!

Room Tip: The Lakefront room are beautiful with a fireplace - a very good choice!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at Taboo resort and Spa from Aug.30 to Sept 2, 2013. It was our first time at this resort and we were blown away!!! The service was exceptional and the activities that they had where awesome!!!
Hiking (they own 100 acres and give guided tours) right on the lake (canoeing, kayaking, seed doo, paddle boat, take a regular boat, ). Tennis lessons astronomy at night (they own an $8,000 telescope ) what a sight in space!!!!!
For the foodies they have an awesome culinary theatre!!! where guest sit around two chefs who entertain and interact with you and deliver an exceptional 6 course meal with an amuse bouche (wine pairing can also be added to the courses).
I can go on and on....
We will definitely be coming back!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mina f
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I booked this for two nights after the Labour Day weekend. Beautiful spot on Lake Muskoka. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms are spotless and I found, on more than one occasion, the cleaning staff were more than willing to accommodate my requests (timing of room cleaning, extra coffee, etc.). We played table tennis and borrowed the mountain bikes. We went canoeing and my husband swam in the lake and pool. We ate at the restaurant. Lovely meal.

Room Tip: Get a lake view - definitely worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Velcro1
Anne W, Manager at Taboo Muskoka Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Hello Velcro1
Glad you enjoyed your Taboo Resort visit and Elements restaurant. Your appreciation for housekeeping team has been passed along. And we appreciate you taking the time to post!

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

It's taken me a fair amount of time to properly think what to write here, with a cool mind, I'm ready!

I want to start by saying, vacationing in Ontario is not cheap and once you get over that hurdle, this place is expensively Beautiful.

I had booked a long weekend stay for my husband's birthday; knowing the whole experience would be around $1500 to $2000 with golf and drinks/food, for two night stay.

The location is on a beautiful part of lake muskoka and the rooms are modern, comfortable, small but luxurious! We payed for two rounds of golf each, the staff at the golf club, were friendly, knowledgeable and eager to make your stay fun. The spa and the restaurant were great, professional service and good experience at both.

So, now i get into the downside of things: The facility is more suited for families, as there was not really any night life after 9pm, we were advices to go into town, but who wants to drive or cab to a small pub...I have those at home
and better.

We definitely could have overlooked the nightlife short coming, had the end to what could have been an awesome weekend, not blemish the entire experience. As I had treated my husband to this retreat I was taking care of the bill, when I went to check out and clear the balance, it all went downhill. The summary provided in the invoice is just total numbers and you almost have to keep track of everything manually/remember, the info is not itemized by type of purchase, rather where it was purchased; which is fine, but they need to make it easier to understand. I was asking about how the breakdown for the golf package worked out, how my original deposit was applied and finally the charge for our tasting menu...as I was asking for these details, the front counter assistant, took a condescending turn, even laughed at my detailed requirements -- it goes without saying, this was inappropriate, rude and blatantly ignorant -- the bill had come to $2500 for two nights, there is no conceivable reason, why I should not want to understand the details...I was offended, as the laughter, could only be ridicule of my request; I should preface, I am a visible minority and my husband and I are pretty young looking (early 30's), so, it's with difficulty that I forced myself to believe that these factors did not play in his attitude. When I made my feeling of insult at his behaviour clear, he checked his behaviour, apologized and mentioned, he could do something to reduce our bill, at this point this was more offencive, as I believe in paying for the services we received, I did not need a discount. I finally paid the bill, the details took 10 minutes to retrieve, but left with a feeling of shame and a blemished weekend that should have not ended so poorly.

I regret to say, that as a young, affluent minority, I will never return.

• Stayed: June 2013
11  Thank The_Singhs_BnD
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gravenhurst
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
#2 of 3 in Port Carling
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#3 of 10 in Bracebridge

Been to Taboo Muskoka Resort? Share your experiences!