“restaurant was okay...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Gravenhurst
Toronto
“restaurant was okay...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2008

This is specifically in reference to the Elements restaurant, as I did not stay at the resort.

The dining room is really lovely, as is the lounge/bar outside. The dessert (vanilla souffle) was FANTASTIC. The dinner, however, was just "pretty good." (I had the pan-seared black cod in a very bland tomato sauce with 3 silly snow peas and one raviolo; my husband had black sea bass, which was the better of the two.) Pretty good is fine, generally, but when most entrees are more than $40, I expect better than good.

Minor pet peeve: to whomever wrote the menu, when there's only one it's a raviolo, not ravioli.

I also thought the service was cloying, which I suppose some people like, but I found it hard to relax with the server at my elbow every five minutes.

I'd suggest doing lunch, which is a bit cheaper. Or perhaps the Culinary Theatre is worth the hefty price. North, a new restaurant in town (Gravenhurst) seems really good as well, and I'll try that next time!

Stayed May 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

I just spent the weekend at Taboo Resort for my brothers wedding. The location was ideal! Being that all the guest were traveling there were events everyday. Guest service did an amazing job of delivering information to all the wedding guest of where events were located and providing shuttles too and from.

over the course of the weekend I probably called the front desk a dozen times with different inquiries and asking them to deliver messages to the room the bride was in. Everything was done promptly and graciously.

During the meal the staff was speedy and unobtrusive... the staff were quick to respond to question and to provide you with anything you need.

All the staff we interacted with were amazing and I would definately stay there again

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank arieldb
ont can
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2008

we are just back from a weekend at the resort. it was great. the staff are very polite, helpful, friendly. i don't know where the complaints came from. all i know we cannot fault reception, ground crew servers anyone who wore a taboo logo smiled spoke and asked if they could help. the food was excellent allthough it is costly if you've never been to a higher end resort. the golf is why we went and were not disappointed( i'm talking about the place not my game ) if i was a better golfer i might have not insulted the course as i did it is challenging to say the least. the staff again superb. if you wish to go and be pampered with a fantastic golf course, great food and beautiful views go to taboo it is worth the money

Stayed May 2008
Newmarket
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

I must say when I first read the reviews of Taboo Resort I was a little skeptical…I actually made reservations and cancelled them once because I was so worried that my Valentines day weekend wasn’t going to be very special b/c of all the negative feed back that was being posted about the resort. I finally decided to make another final reservation and see what happened and I am SO glad that I did. After reading some of the reviews I learned that Taboo has 2 types of room’s fully renovated and modern rooms and other rooms that are more rustic in nature to keep the feel of being in a wilderness resort. (If you don’t like the feel of being in a rustic cottage request a fully renovated room). I reserved a 1 bedroom platinum suite Room 514. The Lobby at Taboo is really nice and ultra modern and sleek. The check in process took all of 30 second and the staff was quite friendly and helpful and always had a smile on there face.…. There were 2 door men waiting there to hold the door open for me and my fiancé and we were asked if we required any assistance unloading our luggage from our car and carrying our bags to our room. (Which I declined, but it was nice that they offered)… The room was great, there was a fully stocked kitchenette loaded with dishes and cutlery and glasses. The room also came equipped with a nice dinning area, as well as a comfortable sitting area to relax in. There was also a balcony over looking the lake with a really nice unobstructed view of Lake Muskoka. The room also came equipped with a nice wood burning fireplace and plasma T.V. The bedroom came with a very comfortable king size bed, ample pillows and duvets as wells a 2 white cotton bath robes, and another plasma TV. The bathroom was large and clean and was fully stocked with plenty of towels and all other amentias that you would find in a high end resort. The room was very clean and well maintained. We ordered room service every day, the food was very good, it always arrived quickly and the staff was always very friendly, and would always set the dinning table for us as we waited to enjoy or meal. There were plenty of things to do while staying at Taboo, from indulging in the spa, to cross country skiing to enjoying a long walk thought the woods along one of the walking trails. The scenery is breathtaking during the winter time and worth the trip up. Checking out was just as easy as the checking in and there was plenty of assistance from the staff to get my luggage from my room to my vehicle. My overall experience of Taboo Resort on my winter Valentines Day weekend getaway was great. The staff was friendly and the resort was exceptional…My only regret was that I couldn’t stay a little longer but I am definitely planning on returning to taboo again…

Stayed February 2008
3 Thank Revolver123
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

Where should I start….check-in. I had to wait in line for 10 minutes before it was my turn. I understand it’s a popular place to spend Thanksgiving weekend, thus the lineup in the so-called lobby/reception area which is slightly larger than the size of a bathroom. The problem was that there were three counters available but only one was open.

The room was great since we stayed in the Signature room which costs $400 per night, until we had problem with the temperature in the room. We called the front desk complaining that it’s way too hot. I asked for a change of room immediately, but was not successful because the staff said that they had no rooms available (mind you it was 3 o’clock in the afternoon). I highly doubt whether she really checked that out for me because she gave me an instant reply. I was not offered the option of changing in a suite even if I pay for the price difference. She did offer to send a mechanic over to look at the air-con which I have to wait for another 30 minutes. But the problem was never fixed and I do not want to spend my holiday waiting. So, I am stuck with a sauna room. At checkout after I paid, I mentioned this experience to the staff and all he said was “I’m sorry to hear that” without even looking at me. I was not looking for a discount or anything. I just wanted someone to take me seriously. Maybe I should have worn my leather jacket instead of my blazer.

I did not stop there. I filled in the comment card, stating basically what I did here. Of course, no one from the resort did any followed up. It’s been over 2 months now and all I got from the resort was their advertisement, as if I would ever go there again.

The only good thing I can say about my weekend at Taboo is the food from the Culinary Theatre. It’s excellent.

• Liked — The food at Culinary Theatre
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cwsho
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2007

This is a must see location in Winter; absolutely magical! We went on a dog sled ride arranged by the hotel; staff and all resort facilities were incredible. This experience was comparable to the Wynn in Vegas just not as many restuarant options. I'm planning another trip this year.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing really- we all had a fabulous time
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank IamAtravelBug
Southern Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2007

We have recently returned from a weekend stay at TaBOO (yes, emphasizing the boo). I think we should have realized upon our check-in that this was not going to be as nice a stay as advertised. Let us see. Pull up to the unimpressive entrance... wait... wait... nope, no doorman. Go in and the reception desk is... a podium. Oh oh. The front desk (podium) staff check us out up and down, and if looks could kill - refuse entry - they would have. Sorry ladies but we just drove 4 hours to get here. Check-in... wait... wait... never mind no bellman. Get the luggage, park the car, find the room. Hmm... decor... unimpressive. Oh look out at the fantastic view. Lakefront... nice. Open the sliding door, open the screen door... lookout... off the tracks... almost plunge 4 stories!!! The balcony has a lovely paint job... it should have been repainted 10 years ago!!! Bathroom... nice corner jacuzzi tub, but what's with the broken access panel and peeling wallpaper? Dinner the first night was excellent!!! Fantastic little local family run restaurant. Did I mention that we found it in the town?
There were some - okay 2 - good parts. The golf. Not much of a club house (my honey said it was right of the 70's). Once you get on the course it is spectacular. Nice scenery, granite everywhere and the dozen or so deer on the course made this a perfect round. Shot a 42 and 51 so maybe I wasn't perfect. Drinks at the lounge were nice and the sunset view are a definite must.
Overall...2 stars.

• Liked — The Golf.
  • Disliked — Staff.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank TripSoundsGoodToMe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gravenhurst
Residence Inn Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
#2 of 10 in Bracebridge
Hart of Muskoka
Hart of Muskoka
#5 of 8 in Gravenhurst

Been to Taboo Muskoka Resort? Share your experiences!