“Good and Bad”

Spice Hut Indian Cuisine.
Ranked #4 of 42 Restaurants in Ladysmith
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Spice Hut is a Authentic Indian Cuisine.
Ladysmith
“Good and Bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

The food was good (stuffed nan bread and vindaloo were excellent), but the service was terrible. We got the crappy waitress - I could hear the wait staff at other tables and they were good, so next time I will ask for a different server. I was so concerned that she would get our order wrong that I even wrote it out for her and what does she do? She handed it back to me and said "you didn't write down what spice level you wanted". She then stood at our table for about 3 minutes retyping what I had written down onto her order tablet rather then move away and do it. She also couldn't identify the dishes that she brought out to us when we asked what each one was. Really really bad service. I will return for the food, not the service.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank SusaninBelize

Calgary, Canada
“Spice Hut - All hut, no spice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Remodelled from Georges Taverna to Spice Hut, you would have thought they might remove the Greek features, but no. There is no Indian feel about the place, it's a dining hall and sometimes a sports bar with the TV's on. I know what Indian food is and what it should taste like (I've been there a few times and eaten 1000's of meals). This is not at all authentic. Since when do Indians put Italian dressing on salads. Food is bland, take out the chilli which makes it hot and you can't taste any other Indian spices. Where's the freshly ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, etc.
Serving staff are attentive, perhaps too attentive and you can't get vegetable dishes in smaller servings, the normal delight of Indian cuisine. At least they have a tandoor oven to cook the previously frozen naan breads. Been twice and one takeout, so have given them the benefit of my doubt. Save your money.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Chris C
syedtalat, Manager at Spice Hut Indian Cuisine., responded to this review, December 2, 2013
This is Syed I Manage the Spice Hut. I would like to Thank you for trying our food and I apologise we could,nt make your experience at Spice Hut a good one We at Spice Hut are proud of our food and this is our 4th Location and hundreds of loyal customers are proof that we take food quality very seriously and are very proud of being the Authentic East Indian Cuisine. Now I would like to answer some of blatant LIES you have written in your review. We make our Naan Bread daily and make our Naan fresh in Clay Oven right when the customers order is ready to serve. Which customers can usually see from their tables. 2nd We have 2 Indian Chef who,s combined cooking experience of Authentic East Indian Cuisine is 43 years and I believe you would,v been in your diapers 43 years ago so for you to tell us that you think its not Authentic is kinda Childish I was born in India and have eaten Home made indian food every day for my whole life. We make Every Dish on the Menu from scratch and here is the list of Spices in Chicken Curry. Tumeric Cinamon Stick Black Cardmom Green Cardmom Cumin Seeds Cumin Powder Bay Leaves Coriander Powder Salt Chilli Powder Ginger Powder Cloves Star anise Garam Masala (Blend of Spices) Ginger paste Garlic paste fresh Cilantro and Onions. All the other dishes we cook have similar Spices . We would like to invite you or anybody else who would like to see our Dishes made from scratch and are Authentic and made in House including appetizers and Deserts. I am so glad that so many people in Ladysmith have enjoyed our food and are our regular customers and appreciate the hard work it takes to offer Authentic Indian food . Thanks Syed
Ladysmith, Canada
“Great Food & Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

We took our out of town guests for lunch here and they could not say enough about how great the food was. Went so far as to say it was better than on the mainland. The food, presentation of the food and the service were all very good. Welcome to Ladysmith Spice Hut, we hope you stay around for years to come.

• Visited October 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Best Indian food I've found on Vancouver Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Apparently this is a brand new restaurant in Ladysmith (building was formerly George's Taverna until mid-2013). But it has some of the best Indian food on Vancouver Island. Fast, friendly service, casual atmosphere, excellent food. The (vegetable) samosas were on the spicy side of medium, the main dish was a perfect "medium" spice level. I'll make sure to stop there again next time I'm in the area.

• Visited October 2013