“Best cinnamon buns ever!”
Review of Old Town Bakery

Old Town Bakery
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Ladysmith
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

You feel like a chewy gooey affordable big cinnamon bun? Then that's the place to go! My favorite is the chocolate pecan but really they are all good! I love their fresh breads too! Best cheese bread ever! So happy I live so close to this bakery!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I am a self-described cinnamon bun connoisseur. And whenever I travel to some place new, if I see a local bakery, I stop in to see what they have. There is a caveat, however: if the bun costs in the neighbourhood of $5 or more, I pass. It is, after all, just a cinnamon bun - not a meal. And unfortunately, you cannot tell by appearance whether or not a cinnamon bun will be what you imagine it should be.

So we are returning to Victoria from a drive up the coast and decide to pull into each little town that we pass. I had never heard of Ladysmith, but now this name will live in my memory forever as the place that houses one of the best bakeries ever. And I say this based on just ONE cinnamon bun. It was so good that it made me think, how can they go wrong with anything else?

In my time, I have had doughy, dense, over-buttery and so-sweet-your-teeth-hurt type of cinnamon buns from bakeries. This one was PERFECT in texture, taste and sweetness. I got the one with almonds - which was a taste adventure in itself - and could not believe how good it was. Had I known, I very likely would have purchased a half dozen of the different varieties that they feature.

We are not likely to pass by this way often, so that's the sad part. I highly recommend anyone who is a cinnamon bun fanatic to come by and have one for me... oh, and it will only cost you $2.95.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Be sure to stop in for the cinnamon rolls. They are delicious. I bought a loaf of molasses sunflower bread and cheese bread. They were so good, especially the molasses bread. Maybe it's a good thing that I don't live close by or I'd be there too much. The curried chicken sandwich was just ok, it came wrapped in Saran Wrap and did not taste to be freshly made that day. Came out instantly and tasted day old.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

A classic long tern Bakery formerly Ladysmith Bakery ran by the Van Reuwicks, Renowned for large excellent cinamon rolls of many varieties, Also really good custard fruit tarts and old fashioned breads.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

This is a small bakery cafe with seating for around a dozen indoors and some sidewalk tables and chairs. We were looking for some coffee to go with a treat we already had from Salt Spring, but came away with cinnamon buns the size of your head (only a mild exaggeration) and a beautiful loaf of cheese bread. They do have drip coffee but since the focus is the baking there was no espresso, I'm rarely a fan of drip but even that was alright.

I had the peanut butter cream cheese topped almond bun, and my girlfriend the traditional cream cheese topped. The dough was perfect, topping rich but not overly sweet and even the side pieces weren't dry as they could easily be.

If you drive past and see the place packed, go in anyway and embrace the opportunity to slow down, wait your turn and remember to pick up something to take home as well. I wish we had some buns today but at least there is cheese bread waiting to be my breakfast.