“Very nice”

Appetit Food for Thought
Ranked #9 of 45 Restaurants in Ladysmith
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We finally figured out that this restaurant has limited hours so we finally got there on a day they were open. We found out later that they are only open Mon to Thurs from 8:30am to 2:30pm, but it was well worth waiting for. We each had one of the two specials, which was made fresh and was delicious. There are a lot of menu items posted on the wall so I missed some that I may have ordered instead but, better reason to go back. The chef was cooking in the front of the restaurant so you could clearly see the care he was taking. The waiter (/owner?) was fun and very attentive but not annoyingly. We returned a couple of weeks later for breakfast and it was a plate overflowing with eggs done the way you like, homemade hashbrowns, toast, baked beans, small salad, and at least six slices of bacon! My husband was in heaven and I have to say that I was pretty happy as well. It is indeed a treasure of Ladysmith. You should go!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

My wife and I found this restaurant by chance and enjoyed an Asian beef/scallop dish with excellent vegetables. It was prepared in front of us from scratch with skill and enjoyment. The place is small and busy and is only open for breakfast and lunch, but well worth a try.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Yes it's true I never liked stir fries till I ate at "Appetit" I had seafood in curry coconut sauce. The veggies were fresh and there was a variety of seafood including salmon and scallops. This is by far the Best resteraunt in Ladysmith. I will be back many times.

1  Thank skimo55
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I have eaten here several times and always enjoyed the food. I usually order the daily special which is always Asian fare. I like the owner/chef as well. He is very friendly and will cook your food to order. If you want chicken instead of pork or can't eat onions, just say the word and he will tailor the meal to your wants.

BUT, after my last time there I decided I won't go back again. I sat at the counter where I got an unobstructed view of the kitchen. It was filthy. There was a piece of some kind of meat sitting on the work area that sat there at room temp the entire time I was there. It looked as though it had been there for a while. The chef got some chicken out of the fridge and cut it up (on the same work area) and then went to the sink and ran some water over the knife and his hands (no soap, no rubbing) and wiped them both with paper towel and carried on cutting up vegetables. All I could think was, "has he ever heard of cross contamination?". I took my food to go and dropped it in the garbage. I know I shouldn't have paid for it but I'm always embarassed to make a fuss. I've struggle with the idea of reporting the place to the health board. Someone is going to get sick (or worse) if they don't bring their standards up. The place needs a good scrubbing, the chipped dinnerware needs replacing and there need to be changes to how the food is handled. I hope they read this and make some changes because the owner is truly a nice fellow and the food is good.

3  Thank TrishHenry
Reviewed February 3, 2012

Today my husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a meal and to try a restaurant that we had never gone to before. The food was awful, in fact it was so bad that we could not eat the very overspiced and over sauced meal. My husband barely touched his portion and it was obviously not edible. The owner and the waiter were both aware that this was a meal that was not eaten or enjoyed. No compensation was offered and no apology was made. We paid the full price for a substandard meal and to add insult when I mentioned to the waiter that we should not have been charged for an uneaten meal he walked away shrugging his shoulders with indifference.