“Rustic charm”
Review of Yellow Point Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ladysmith
Yellow Point Lodge
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The property has 185 acres and is located on the water. Cabins range from no running water or toilet to a proper bathroom and shower. We stayed in the Ruxton cabin with double bed, electric heat as well as wood stove, small fridge and a coffee pot. It was a 10 minute stroll to the lodge along the water and through the woods. There were many trails through out the property as well as tennis courts, bikes and kayaks to use. Three meals a day are provided on a set menu for that day of the week .Guests sit 10 to a round table. As well, there are 3 times each day for coffee and snacks in the lodge. No TV, WiFi, or other modern devices are on the property and cell phones are a no no in the lodge. Relaxing in peaceful,quiet surroundings makes this place ideal for a retreat from a busy life.

Room Tip: When booking a cabin I would ask if there is a bathroom within that building.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Terry S

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We echo every favorable comment in the Yellowpoint Lodge reviews! It truly is a special place and must be experienced to believe! About 8 years ago we were truly lucky to be able to book one of the two balcony rooms in the Lodge for the same 5 days a friend always came; we've added one day in a different waterfront Lodge room....and would take more days if we could get them. Basically it's a total relaxation time, with good friends, good books, the hot tub, the seawater pool (which we always go into at least a couple times, even though it's only May and fairly cool), good food, beach exploring, walks in the woods...and long, deep sleeps. We hope Yellowpoint never changes; it's perfect the way it is in its uniqueness and we'll go as long as we can, all the way across the U.S., a trip that involves car, airplane, ferries...and sometimes a bus or train ride, all part of the fun.

Room Tip: Obviously, rooms and cabins facing the water are the most desirable. We love our Lodge balcony room...
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Newfieguinness
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We have been regular Yellowpointers for about 25 years and love going. It stays much the same year after year although in the last several years massage therapy and a work out room have been added. The hot tub by the ocean is divine ..the views, the sound of the ocean and the solitude. The cabins range from funky and rustic with no indoor facilities to very comfortable cabins with fireplaces and indoor facilities. There is a cool outdoor shower in the trees if you prefer to rough it. The wonderful expansive log lodge is wonderful..a place to read, to play cards, to do puzzles, to do charades, to enjoy the impromtu jam sessions that happen spontaneously and the scheduled entertainment by the owner and locals every saturday night . The weekly set menu is generous and home style. Everyone dines together at large round tables and so you always meet new people. There are lots of things to do as there is no TV or radio. There is kayaking, canoeing, biking, hiking, running, and walking. Getting a reservation is tough is you are a newcomer..you need to keep trying. This is one of our favourite places to go and we look forward to it 3 to 4 times a year.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tessa131
Reviewed October 1, 2011

I just returned from my third visit in four years to this magnificent lodge in Ladysmith, BC.

My friend Carl advised me to stay there back in 2007 on a long motorcycle trip and so I've made it the zenith of my trips the following two times as well. Everything about the lodge is about as "perfect" as I've searched for.

The location is unparalleled on the inland passage, the relaxing environment, beauty of water and nature, communal dining to meet interesting people, the very nice lodge owners Sandy and Richard and the history of the place.

I will go back as often as I can (god willing) as it's truly an oasis.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank mackanna
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I have been trying for years to get in as I always go to the Island each Spring. Fortunately there was a cancellation otherwise everyone rebooks the same weekend each year. Put away your electronic devices, there is no TV or internet service here. It is about getting away from the daily grind.

Delicious homestyle cooking is how I would describe the food (all-inclusive). It is not fancy but comfort food. Alcohol is reasonably priced and people carry their purchased bottle of wine from Reception. Accomodations can be very minimal (confirm before you book) with shared bathroom, lodge room to rustic private cabins with awesome views. You listen for the bell to ring to know when the food is ready.

Most people will relax in the common areas of the main lodge reading their book or playing a board game or resting in their cabins. Others are chilling in the sauna or by the outdoor pool, which I hear is very popular in the summer or walking the trails on the premises. The guests come back year after year, even decades, so everyone is very friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Where_to_travel_next
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Our trip to YPL was due to Mom's desire to see Yellow Point again. Back in about 1943 or so, she and a friend had ridden their bikes from Vancouver over to YPL. Today, July 1st, is her 93rd birthday so it had been many moons since her last visit. Myself, I'd heard of YPL but had never been. I'm not a camping type, don't ride bikes, play tennis or kayak, so thought I'd better take a bunch of books & mags lest I die of boredom. Not necessary, I may have read three chapters of one book and never even cracked a magazine! Some time was spent helping Mom about but much time I explored the very large property. The other guests were very friendly so lots of chatting. Really the time flew by.

The majority of people return at the same time each year so over time you greet familiar faces. YPL reminds me a lot of when we had a summer camp when I was young; mismatched furniture, comfy old chairs, fireplaces and firepits, sealife, water traffic, books and games, good food, comfy beds with comforters - simple and very relaxing. One reviewer called it a 'Sanity Break' and I totally agree. No internet, no phones, cell phones to be used discreetly and privately and no locks on the doors. LOL! You can lock your room/cabin from the inside only. That was a bit of a shock but I became comfortable with it very quickly. I decided YPL has been operating thus for over 70 years so no reason to be uncomfortable.

The food is good and plentiful. I understand the menu is set so that every Monday it's X and every Tuesday it's Y . . . the days I was there were Thursday - Steak + Baked Potatoes with trimmings, Friday - Curried Scallops and Shrimp with Rice and Salmon with a Citrus Sauce, and Saturday - Prime Rib, Roast Potatoes & Yorkshire - all meals with veggies, bread and salad. Sunday nights dinner would have been Roast Turkey. Lunches were Croissants and Cold Cuts (make your own sangy) plus various salads and a soup, another was Veg Lasagna, the others I can't recall. Breakfast always had a 'special' - Eggs Carmelita, Eggs Mornay, Waffles . . . plus always available eggs how ever you want them, bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast. The buffet table always had oatmeal, juice, fresh fruit, cereals and muffins at Breakfast. Then you sat yourself down at a table and ordered what you chose to have. Breakfast is the only meal you actually order anything - all other meals are buffet style. Special diets are accomodated. A blackboard is put up by the dining room entrance each day listing the meals of the day. On it is also listed the names of those with meals prepped for dietary concerns so you just ask your server for your 'special meal'.

We stayed in the Lodge which was very pleasant and certainly convenient for Mom. The room had a lovely view of the ocean, a comfy bed, two very comfortable chairs, and a bath with shower. I peeked into a couple of the cabins when they were in changeover mode and would be interested in those in the future. Not a camper so no interest in field or barracks cabins myslef. Barracks and Field cabins have no bathrooms, just a bed, a dresser and little wood stove and Barracks have very thin walls (like a sheet of plywood) so if you are a snorer or have one beside you, you may not get the best sleep. :-)

Although I was prepared to be bored stoopid, that was certainly not the case. Those three day were a wonderfully relaxing break and I've made my deposit for next year!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank WCGal
Reviewed April 10, 2011

My husband and I look forward to going back every year. There is so much to do, things you rarely seem to find time for in busy everyday life. We play games, read, hold hands and watch the fire in the big lodge fireplace, beachcomb, kayak, ride bikes....it is great for doing as little (or as much) as you want. The food is wonderful, and the atmosphere second to none. Thank you Yellow point staff for making it a "home away from home!".
Jeannie and John

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Genie65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ladysmith
Kiwi Cove Lodge
Hillcrest Ave Bed & Breakfast
Blanket and Spoon
Blanket and Spoon
#4 of 8 in Ladysmith

Been to Yellow Point Lodge? Share your experiences!