“Best for breakfasts, lunch variable.”

Big Red's Family Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 45 Restaurants in Lunenburg
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I have been to this restaurant a number of times and while I cannot find anything particularly bad to say about it, neither can I point to anything especially good. This place is your average small town Main Street eatery: reasonable prices, friendly quick service and basic grub.

What is noteworthy is that if you get a window table you will have a spectacular view of the harbour and bay and because they do not try to rush you, this experience alone is worth the money.

The menu carries all the usual items you would expect in a place fo this stature. Go for fish, and if it is not overcooked (as sometimes is the case), it will be your best bet. Avoid anything with lobster because invariably you wlil be disappointed at the minuscule amount of meat and the way its flavour is masked by other ingredients.

Breakfasts here are good, hearty and satisfying and they serve the best home fries I have tasted in many years.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stopped in her for pizza while walking the downtown. The pizza was good, but I felt the pizza sauce was a little too sweet tasting. You get an incredible view of the harbour area and there's plenty of seating and a bar downstairs.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I ordered the fish and chips and received my order with a pony-tail elastic in my plate....when I returned it to the waiter, she was very snippy and incinuated that it was mine (my hair is very very short) and I did not even get an apology from her and when I got my plate back they only replaced the fish, as the french fries were cold and soggy. I was not even offered a discount on my bill. I contacted the manager and told her what had happened and she sent me some gift certificates to the restaurant, which I gave away as I was not going back there to eat again.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

The atmosphere is cozy and promotes deep conversations while nestled in their padded old wooden bench tables overlooking the wharves of Lunenburg. We had Fish and Chips and although chips are not my favorite these were home made and made it into my belly quite happily. The serving of fish was larger than I expected and brought to the table by another great teenage Nova Scotian, This place was occupied also by a 4 or 5 generation family dinner which is always a good sign of a good family restaurant!

Reviewed July 29, 2012

The gave us dirty glasses, took forever to replace them. They were not busy. $16.99 for a 12 inch veggie pizza that was awful. Very little cheese, under cooked.

My family is still complaining about this restaurant