“I'd stay here again...”

Ranked #13 of 26 Lunenburg B&B and Inns
Concord, New Hampshire
“I'd stay here again...”
Reviewed September 8, 2007

I stayed at the Brigantine Inn for 2 nights in late August. Location is definitely in the BI’s favor. It is a staircase (outside plaza-type) and a very short walk across a road to the harbor, and the docked BlueNose II.

I was in the main building - the one where the office is; and I chose the room (Sceptre, Rm #6) by price. It was upstairs (no elevator), and it was quite small – but I knew that when I booked, from their web-site descriptions. It was quiet, clean, and had a small window that looked out onto the plaza stairs, and the harbor.

They have their own restaurant on the lower level, and that is where you’d get ice if you want it, so that must be done during their hours. The registration desk opens at 8am, and closes at 8pm. You have the option of paying up when you check in – in case you want to leave early. And late check-ins can be done at the restaurant. It was the only place I found in Nova Scotia to take Discover Card. And I found the staff friendly.

Parking is on the street. There are meters, but they are enforced M-F daytime only. I never had to park more than 1/3 block away. There are a number of restaurants with outside decks, and pubs – all within walking distance.

I won’t get into the beauty of the town itself. Just bring your walking shoes, and prepare for some hilly walking up and down the grid of streets. Lunenburg Academy dominates the top of the town.

I was satisfied with my experience and accommodations. They certainly have more spacious rooms than I had – but I use my room to shower & sleep in – not to loiter in during the day. I’d book it again.

• Liked — Location; cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank sfm132

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 17, 2007

An ordinary hotel with thoroughly unprofessional staff. My husband and I were on what was supposed to be a relaxing long weekend when we stayed here last weekend. We had one day to sleep in. How could we possibly have known that on Saturday the housekeeping staff congregates in the hallway to chat? Loudly? Starting at about 8 a.m.? And then they start vacuuming around 9 a.m.? And then do the laundry for the hotel just down the hall in a machine that squeaks? Needless to say, we did not sleep, nor was the hotel relaxing. Somehow when we made our reservations it didn't occur to us to ask if this was their practice, or if their doors fit well (they don't, but if they did and weren't hollow, it would have cut down on the sound transmission into our room considerably).

I guess if you're an out and about kind of person, this place would be OK for you, but I just found it amazing that it wouldn't occur to a hotel that some of their guests might want to sleep beyond 8 a.m. (and this in a time zone that is 1 hour earlier than most of the US east coast).

There were other small troubling things, but all were eclipsed by this one item. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone for any thing. There are so many others in Lunenburg to choose from and this one offered nothing unique.

• Liked — The view was nice.
  • Disliked — Inconsiderate staff.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank altobarb
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed February 9, 2007

My wife and I stayed there for the Lunenburg Folk Harbour Festival, which we recommend -- all kinds of music on a warm August night, feeling really peaceful. The Brigantine Inn is a great place and the town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Each room is unique -- ours felt like an old nautical inn -- we were under the sloping roof, in a room with a big brass bed. I recommend going down to the pub on the waterfront level, and having a Schooner Ale or three! The only problem you may run into is the parking situation in Lunenburg, since it's an old town. You may have to park a couple of blocks from the Brigantine.

• Liked — We had a nice room during a very busy time for the town
  • Disliked — parking is a bit difficult in Lunenburg
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank paulmcg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at the Brigantine Inn in Lunenburg. They have a few buildings one can select from with lots of pictures on their website. We wanted a 2 bedroom with extra room and a water view. We stayed in the annex which is an old house that received the Heritage Award which has been renovated. Our apartment was upstairs and we were pleasantly surprised. My husband is very fussy about his accommodations and thought this was a home run. We had 2 bedrooms each with a window air conditioner, modern bathroom and living room and pullman type kitchen which looked to the Bay between 2 buildings. We could sit in the living room or at the table and watch the comings and going of the bay as well as see the Blue Nose. The pictures of this unit don't do it justice and it is quite new and modern. You have the place to yourself and Lunenburg is such a great place. You could rent this for a few days and explore around Mahone Bay and Chester from here. The value of this for the money was tops.

Judy Patrick
Tucson, AZ

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Penacook, NH
Reviewed May 2, 2006

Located at 82 Montague Street in Lunenburg, NS, the Brigantine Inn is an exceptional place to stay. We stayed in the Suites in Room 12, located one and a half blocks down the street from the actual inn. The units are extremely well-appointed, and our unit was a light housekeeping unit with small kitchenette stocked with all we needed for cooking and such. Our second floor suite looked directly out across the street to the harbor. We took meals at the Grand Banker Restaurant, which is attached down the street to the actual inn. The food was fresh, wonderful, and the staff pleasant and extremely helpful. Lunenburg itself is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and full of interesting things to see and do. You can check out the Brigantine Inn at ---------. There are pictures of each room/unit on their site as well.

4 Thank althea041724