“Can you say AWESOME?!”

The Great Dane
Cuisines: Canadian, European, Danish
“Can you say AWESOME?!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

The food was spectacular, the staff knowledgable and very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my meal thoroughly and will definitely be back!

• Visited August 2012

Saint John, Canada
“Outstanding Service and Impeccable food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

One of the best meals we have had in many years. Service was of the highest standard. I can't recommend this restaurant enough. From our appetizers to our desserts we savoured every bite. Love the local feel as well as the wine list. We will definitely be coming back, and if you haven't eaten @ The Great Dane, we suggest you do!

Lunenburg, Canada
“Do not recommend”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

Night started off great. The waiter knew everything about wine that a fine dining waiter should, and had a great upbeat attitude. Unfortunately that is where the good ended. The calamari was not the greatest. It was dry and bland, very chewy. It needs a dipping sauce or something, and to not be overcooked. We have also been told since eating this meal that the squid is caught in Lunenburg Harbour!!!! Now I know that there are still a few houses around lunenburg and garden lots that dump their raw sewage into the harbour, so this just really grossed me out. If people wont swim in there, why are we being fed food from there?
The steak was undercooked for my liking. I asked for it well and it came out pink and bleeding. I sent it back and could hear the chef telling the other employees that I didn't know what I was talking about and don't know how I like my steak. You don't have to be a genius to know that well done means no pink and especially no blood.

I did not appreciate the chef's poor attitude and his feelings on how he doesn't have to please the locals, just the tourist, so we left with no dessert, and WILL NOT BE BACK

This restaurant is a flop. The Trattoria had much better food for a cheaper price, and nicer decor (the new place has a terrible paint job and tacky pictures printed off of Google). This place portrays zero romance for such a "high end restaurant".

We will not be wasting our money again.

3 Thank lunenburglady
Jacksonville, Florida and Lunenburg
“Inconsistent”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This new restaurant needs a lot of fine tuning. Our party of six had widely varying comments to make about the recipes and the food. My husband's meal of cod was just dreadful. It looked and tasted horrible but my husband did not want to seem impolite so he did not send it back.

I had steak of very poor quality that was overdone one on side and raw in the other. I sent it back and got a raw filet that was cooked on a dry griddle as a substitute. i did not eat it and left the to go box on the table. The potato side on my dish was topped with beets, which I hate, and stained and ruined the potatoes. Another guest had lamb that was raw. He sent it back and when it returned, the diner said it was excellent.

The pasta and beef dish was reported to be a bit strange but otherwise OK. Two others reported better dishes but overlooked fish. The Danish coconut was tasty. The service was very good but the linen service needs attention. Unpressed white tablecloths are not conducive to fine dining. I also thought the way this restaurateur changed the decor has made the restaurant very stark. The glare from the front winDow is annoying and the view across the street does nothing to improve the decor. Window coverings would be much better. Yes, I miss the Trat with a passion put to use, but this restaurant might take its place with time and a great deal more attention to meat and dish preparation and better linen service.

Visited July 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Excellent food, service and atmosphere.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I visited this new restaurant for supper on our first night of vacation. Had an excellent meal and very good Nova Scotia wine. Will definitely be back during our vacation. Supper was very good.