“New to Lunenburg”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“New to Lunenburg”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The Great Dane has excellent food and outstanding service. We stumbled across the fact that this place had opened because their street presence was minimal - something we were assured would change by the time of their main opening on July 1.

My wife had mussels in a white wine and grainy Dijon mustard followed by a generous ginger prawn salad. She was delighted that the chili dressing was presented on the side without being requested. I had the calamari in a tasty pan jus followed by a very moist duck with a wonderful sour cherry gastrique, on a mushoom risotto. Desserts were a lemon sorbet and an apple-rhubarb crumble.

The Great Dane is gently renovating the previous restaurant which was spacious, bright and comfortably appointed. Our dinner was enhanced by the outstanding and attentive service.

Lunenburg, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Great Dane is Great!”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We are so glad that a new restaurant is up in running in the old Trattoria. The food was excellent. I had the lamb fondue (wonderful ideas and delicious). The calamari was the best we have had. The duck was excellently cooked. There are really nice twists and ideas in the food flavourings and choices. I look forward to the new renovations and to some of the new exciting ideas the Evan plans for the location. Tonight was a couples night but we plan to return for a family outing on Monday.

Northumberland
“Good new restaurant”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

This restaurant has new owners and is now called The Great Dane. We had a lovely meal here on 11th June. Very friendly staff. The only downfall was we had rather a long time to wait for our meal, but it was worth it!

Visited June 2013
Durham, North Carolina
“Excellent new restaurant”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is a brand new restaurant that has taken over the space formerly occurpied by the Trattoria della Nonna. The staff and chef (a Dane who grew up in British Columbia) were personable and friendly. My wife had mussels with a delicious sauce, followed by haddock on a bed of red and white quinoa with a beet relish. I had lobster salad with a curry dressing on the side and gnocchi sautéed in butter and sage with a gorgonzola sauce. The presentation was nice; the food was delicious. For dessert we had a lemon soufflé frozen in a hollowed out lemon with a raspberry coulis. It set off the savory flavors of the main course very nicely. The restaurant has been opened for a very short time, and a few bugs are being worked out with respect to service and décor. The food was truly excellent, and it shows every sign of being a great success. Dinner for two with two glasses of wine and a tip came to $125. This was our best meal on this trip to Nova Scotia, and one of the best that we have enjoyed in a long time.

2 Thank Loam_Wall
Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic new Lunenburg restaurant!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I was excited to see a new fine dinning restaurant open in Lunenburg and could not wait to try it out. Despite being open for less than a week, the service was excellent, and the food even better!

I sat alone at the bar and ordered the filet mignon, which I could not resist as it's toped with lobster... It came out cooked to perfection and the presentation was beautiful.

The servers were friendly and chatted with me over the course of the evening.

My only complaint was with the decor, which I understand is leftover from the previous restaurant that was here before. I was assured this will be changing before their Grand Opening in a few weeks.

Overall a lovely dinning experience, I can't wait to come back with friends.