“Nice hotel but not a 5 on a world scale”

Lunenburg Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Lunenburg
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The fourth hotel on my walking tour of Nova Scotia was Lunenburg Arms in Lunenburg. Now this is more like it!

Lunenburg Arms offers 4 types of guest rooms - standard, deluxe, executive and lofts. Their very informative web site gives a very good description of each with both text and photos so I won't repeat all of that here.

I was in a deluxe room (#404), a corner room with a view of the harbor. It had wood floors in the sleeping area and tile floors and wainscoting in the bathroom. The furnishings and finishes were all modern and high quality, except for the oversized bath tub and shower surround which were plastic and totally out of place with the rest of the furnishings and also needed recaulked. The washcloths seemed thin to me but the bath towels were OK and all smelled fresh and not overly laundered.

My room did not contain a closet but rather a wood armoire that contained a very small closet section as well as a 3-drawer chest and an area for the TV. The bed was very comfortable fro me and the wall-mounted AC worked well. The room had wifi and there is also a lap top in the lobby for guest use, but the room wifi was faster. The room also had a mini fridge.

I was alone and the room was fine for me but would have been crowed with 2 people in it. My only real grip with the room was due to it being a corner room. As a result, the also heavy wooden doors of the adjacent rooms 403 and 405 were within just several inches of my own and were very loud whenever anyone went in and out of them, which was frequent as one of the rooms had children in it.

Also, the elevator was just outside my room and people would talk loudly there while waiting for or exiting the elevator. I was able to mitigate this somewhat buy stuffing one of the heavy bath towels under the door.

With these few exceptions I otherwise liked my room and slept well here. It is also well located and close to the shops and restaurants along the waterfront. I give this hotel a solid 3.5, which I rounded up to a 4 (very good) rating on the TA scale.

Room Tip: If you need quiet, stay away from the elevator areas and corner rooms with heavy adjacent doors slam...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank AustinWhitewater

Reviewed August 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed here in early August 2012. This hotel is very easy to find in tiny old town Lunenburg, and free parking right accross the street. You can certainly walk to anywhere downtown from here.Our check in was very swift (I wish I could say the same for the couple checking in ahead of us, they seemed to take about 8 minutes for some reason, but they could have been the type who ask lots of questions). Our room (harbour side) was huge, and very clean, also had a jacuzzi tub and of coruse the view was great. The jacuzzi is located outside of the bathroom, which also included a shower. We throughly enjoyed the contental breakfast the next morning, everything was fresh and well stocked and the coffee was amazing. Check out was equally smooth. Why not 5 stars? To get 5 stars from me you really have to blow me away in some way, shape, or form, which I cant say happned here. Also we didnt really spend that much time in the hotel. Also maybe just a touch on the pricey side. I would definately stay at the Arms again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the harbour side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank above_the_rim
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed in a room with a single king bed and a waterfront view. The room was really nice, the bed was the most comfortable that we have had on our trip. The included continental breakfast was also the best we have had. Would recommend it for sure. And great location!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We spent 2 days in Lunenberg and had a wonderful time. Our room at the inn was large and very comfortable. The location is great and you can walk to all of the restaurants and shops. There is a very nice golf course near by and a lovely harbor . They were having boat races which were fun to watch.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stay at the Lunenburg Arms once a year for our annual visit to the South Shore. We always enjoy our stay and have no complaints. Staff are friendly, accommodations are nice and rooms are a decent size. The hotel is in the centre of town, just a few streets up from the water and a minutes walk from our favourite restaurants, Trattoria della nona and Fleur de sel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We spent one night at the Lunenburg Arms Hotel. The room was clean and large, as was the bathroom. The view was fabulous. (We were on the fourth floor facing the water.) The restaurant was closed since it was Monday. The breakfast on Tuesday was limited. The ladies at the front desk were friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend the Lunenburg Arms.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The hotel, perfectly located in the center of Lunenburg, appears to have been a rehab of an existing building. The historic preservation is important, but working a hotel within the confines of a building probably not built to be a hotel was somewhat limiting. Our room was awkwardly shaped, the bathroom was very small, and there did not appear to be a common area apart from the small lobby in which guests would relax and read a book. Another complaint is that the hotel lacks central AC and the individual room units were very loud. That said, the room met our needs and was very clean. The staff was helpful and, as noted, the location cannot be beat. Overall, we would stay there again if traveling to Lunenberg.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family