“Terrific German Restaurant”

Old Black Forest Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 45 Restaurants in Lunenburg
Cuisines: German
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Jacksonville, Florida and Lunenburg
“Terrific German Restaurant”
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I find the review below from the people from Arkansas inexplicable. We went to this restaurant four times this summer and it has terrific food, great sides, salad and salad dressing and wonderful German brown gravy. The schnitzels are always thin and crispy and the multaschen with crispy onions is out of this world.

It is the best German food I have ever had in my life! In terms of value for money, it is the best restaurant on the South Shore. None better. None!

Windsor and Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Awesome as always!!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I love this restaurant, it will never disappoint me expect for the fact that I never have room for their delicious looking desserts.
The rouladen which was the special was terriffic. Sadly they are now closed for the 2012 season as I hoped to get another visit in before my trip was over.
Like the other reviews say you can't find food this good in Germany. I have been there many times and at the Black Forest they get a quality of meat that is hard to find.

Yes a vegatarian might not be their first choice for a meal, but it would be the same in Germany too.

Never change

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank MissElainey
Jacksonville, Florida and Lunenburg
“The Best German Restaurant Ever!”
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

If you don't think you like German, eat at this place. We are Florida residents who own a home in Lunenburg. We go to this restaurant about six or seven times overthe course of four months. It never disappoints. We are not Germans but are converts because of this little place. The schnitzel and the multascen are the best anywhere in any country, including Germany. The salads and dressings are just right and the gravy is just as it should be. The owners are lovely hard working people. Please give this place a try for lunch or dinner. It's between Lunenburg and Mahone Bay in the middle of nowhere. You can do both towns before and after. Don't miss this one or you will be missing out.

2 Thank chellyfla
Norfork, Arkansas
“Somewhat Disappointing”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

We don't have any German heritage that we know of, but we have eaten it in the past and were looking forward to eating here because of its rating on Trip Advisor and because the owners of our B & B love it also. Our food was mostly bland, poorly seasoned, and each dish tasted very similar to the other dishes the four of us ordered, even though we ordered different items. There was a mediocre brown gravy that seemed to be a mainstay for most of the dishes - my schnitzle was not thin and tender as I expected it to be. A couple of us had the spatzle and it was very bland and tasteless. None of the food was bad; it was just mediocre. One of our traveling friends attended a culinary institute and he was quite disappointed in each of our dishes. Perhaps we didn't have realistic expectations, but we've each eaten good German food in other areas and this just didn't measure up.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank kaydunn60
Dartmouth, Canada
“Great German Food”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Went to Hamburg Germany and couldn't find a good place to sample German cooking, but managed to find it in Lunenburg. We drive by this little place all the time, and finally went in for supper. We had to get a reservation, and the little restaurant was packed. No wonder! This is excellent food. The server was actually German, and was excellent, suggesting options to get around my Milk allergy without once saying "I'll check with the kitchen"; she obviously knew the menu very well. The food is simple but delicious, from a lovely fresh salad to REAL Black Forest cake (Which I of course couldn't sample . .) The German specialties are all made on site from Spatzle to Sauerbraten, and you can get authentic German beer served in the proper German beer steins. I had the Beef Sauerbraten and it was tender and delicious with a rich delicious gravy. Even the Poached pear and cranberry on the side was amazing!

Don't miss this place!