“Practice your putting”

The Rock Golf Course
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Minett
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Bring a camera because you wont be able to describe your holes to your Buddies
No time to practice chipping and putting on practice greens and it showed in my score
Read the intruction book that describes each hole and where to hit

All reviews
"wildlife"
"expert"
"meal"

Reviewed August 14, 2013

I have played the Rock Golf Course On many occasions in the past. It is a course which requires thinking. You can not grip it and rip it here...unless you have an unlimited number of golf balls in your bag. The holes are spectacular. The people who work there are professional and friendly. What I found disappointing was that they let people out on the course when they were punching fairways. I have never seen this before. That being said I was warned...

Make sure you use the course guide when you play this course. GPS or a laser distance measurement devise are assets.

Honestly, for my money the best value in Muskoka for golf has to be the South Muskoka Golf and Curling Club in Bracebridge.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

The staff at The Rock were very proffessional and efficient, as I went out as a single they were able to accomodate me perfectly by getting me out nice and early so that I could play on my own and enjoy the morning. From start to finish my experience was fantastic and if I ever return to Minett I will definitely be returning to this fantastic course.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

This course is fun for experienced golfers, but not recommended for beginners. I have played the ClubLink courses in Muskoka (Rocky Crest, Grandview and Lake Jo) as well as Taboo and Deerhurst Highlands, and The Rock is comparable to them and a little cheaper. As originally designed by Nick Faldo, the course was simply too difficult for most resort golfers and had to be closed and redesigned to make it more fun. I lost about a dozen balls in 2 rounds and still had fun. If you are the type of golfer who insists on spending at least 5 minutes hunting for every ball you hit into the woods, don't play here. it's not for you.

The staff were friendly and we got around in 4 to 4-and-a-half hours, which is not too bad for this kind of course. It is not a walkable course. Don't even think about it. Cartpath-only was the rule on a day after heavy rain, but we got a handicap flag that allowed our arthritic selves to drive on the fairway, which we did carefully and nowhere near the greens.

I would play The Rock again. It is not as spectacular as Rocky Crest, which is my favourite in the area, but it's less expensive and in good condition.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 30, 2013

If you are able to hit the ball over 240 yards off the tee you will find yourself in trouble on most holes. Fairways slope hard in places, rocks are in play on them, many bunkers, treed fairways are tight to landing areas. No landing area is easy from 220 to 300 out.

The greens are very very hard, roll fast and true, but do not hold well. Most greens, if not all, are elevated significantly and it is easy to roll off. All in all, I found that I was seldom rewarded for solid ball striking as a long player with a decent short game while the higher handicappers in my foursome were able to score okay (this is RELATIVE as few broke 100) as they were light off the tee and they had predictable ball flight with their slices. I am debating whether I should play this again as an 8 handicapper. If I do, I will hit iron off the tee on all holes, may be 3 wood on a couple and treat any par as a birdie because they are well earned that's for sure.

All in all, I'm not sure what type of golfer this was designed for except for a seasoned professional. Do not expect to play well on your first round as there is simply way too much local knowledge to gather to make the right decisions with club selection and shot direction. I say this even with the course guide they provide and playing with someone who had played here before several times.It plays at least double your handicap which is demotivating.

2  Thank Gordon F