The good: Staff is very friendly. The kid's program is fantastic. The view is gorgeous.
The bad: changes in the dining room are really not appropriate for week-long stays or large families. A surprise previously-undisclosed "resort fee" on checkout.
Cleve's has changed a lot in the past year. The biggest, and most problematic, was in the dining room, which has changed from a traditional resort-style "everybody eats at about the same time because all the food is ready then" to more of a "come in, we'll take your order, and then cook it for you."
This is a problem for two reasons:
(1) the menu is small and was the same every day and varied little between lunch and dinner. As a result, you end up eating the same things several times during the week. (In previous years, there were 5 different choices at every meal.)
(2) for larger families, especially with smaller children, the wait for food was unreasonably long -- on several occasions, it was more than 2 hours between sitting down and finishing.
Cleve's has changed ownership several times in the past few years and is apparently trying to change its image by attracting younger people just in for the day or for the weekend. However, I'm afraid that they're doing so at the expense of their traditional week-long base. The restaurant issue was one way this showed up. It also showed up in the decreased programming for week-long guests, moving away from shows to live music, the conversion of the hotel lobby to a bar, and a lot more, well, cleavage in the staff at Duke's.
I hope they get the new balance right, because I want to return. However, based on our experience this year, there's a strong chance that won't happen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Clevelands House Resort is the perfect place for your summer getaway with 408-acres of family fun! With 3,000 ft. of prime waterfront, this Muskoka resort has something for every age! Clevelands House Resort has many different types of accommodation from standard rooms, suites and cottages. The cottages offer one to three bedrooms - space enough for the whole family! The onsite nine-hole golf course, 16 tennis courts, sandy beach and picturesque veranda are just a few places to relax. They offer many different dining options from the newly renovated C.J. Minett's Kitchen and Tavern to Rock's on the Dock, serving gourmet burgers and shakes! Send the kids to their one-acre Day Camp for hours of learning and fun, the largest of its kind. For the grown-ups, the Adventure Program puts on over 120 events weekly! From bocce ball tournaments, welcome parties and beach volleyball, Clevelands House has every activity covered! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Clevelands House Hotel Minett
- Clevelands Hotel Minett
- Clevelands House Ontario/Minett, Canada