“Absolute Relaxation in the winter”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Reviewed January 17, 2011

What a gorgeous gem. Beautiful Building both interior and exterior and what a View!
Service was top notch. Totally quiet in the winter season, so if privacy and relaxation is what you need this is the place to go. We ate our meals within the hotel, all excellent, but their is a small kitchen in the room, if you wanted to do some meals yourself.
Loved the indoor pool which connects to the outside pool even in the winter!
There are activities like, snowshoeing to a black bears den, snowmobiling on guided trails and cross country skiing...beautiful spa treatments too. They serve complimentary hot apple cider in the morning at the front desk!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,275)

Reviewed January 14, 2011

JW Resorts and Hotels are always an excellent place to stay, just like Nordstrom is an excellent place to shop. Our suite and the entire resort were spotless. The staff was very friendly and customer service oriented. The Rosseau's only exception is that it is a "family" resort. Financially secured adults traveling with childen are their main clientele. I would not recommend this JW to empty-nesters or honeymooners who are looking for peace and quietness. We had to call the front desk around 10:30 at night to stop the guests above us from running around and "banging" furniture (they had been at it non-stop since 4 p.m.). This matter was promptly addressed and we were finally able to sleep peacefully. The restaurants' offerings are wide and varied. Improvement is needed in their room service menu area. It is "very, very, very limited". The indoor-outdoor pool is an attraction in itself in the winter, and so is the hot tub. Self-parking was not a problem since the lot is only a few feet away from the main entrance.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2011

I went to the Rosseau to celebrate my birthday and it was the best birthday ever. The hotel is beautiful and has now set the standard for any future birthday celebrations. We had a large room with a lake view. The bathroom was exquisite. We ate at Teca and Cottages. The food was delicious and the service exemplary. I will defintely return. The only down side is that I live in Ottawa and it is a long drive but well worth it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank artsy4491
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Loved it! This was the second stay for us at Red Leaves, and we had great customer service (thanks Ashley and Paul), and since the snow wasn't great we enjoyed the spa and hot tub instead. Last time we did some skiing, snowshoeing and ski-doing (sp?), which the resort is really well-equipped for, but that didn't work out on this visit. The room we ended up in was fantastic with a nice lake view. We didn't realize that there was a second building on the resort and were put there (you need to ask if you're picky about being in the main building), but the parking for the Paignton House (2nd) building is actually closer than the main building, and there's an indoor walkway joining the two, so it was no big deal. The Paignton house is lower than the main building so if you like a good view, you might prefer the main building. The second building was just as nice as the main one with the rooms being identical, and appeared to be just as well-maintained. The elevator in our building wasn't working for a couple of hours but was shortly fixed the same evening. We enjoyed the food in Cottages and Teca, the two restaurants, as well as the NYE gala that was worth the price of admission. The one-bedroom suite we had was immaculately clean and brand new, with two flat screens in the living room and bedroom. The trails around the resort were maintained in the winter and safe for walking, with those parts that were icy clearly marked. This is definitely a family-oriented resort for the most part, but we had a great stay and Red Leaves really does seem to have something for everyone whether you're into indoor or outdoor activities.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank l0ves2travl
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Had a very underwhelming stay at this hotel. As a Marriott elite I visit a lot of properties, and this one ranks way up there as one of the most poorly managed hotels.

The main issue at this hotel is the food. We had "Italian" food at Teca our first night and I'm not kidding when I say my college roommate used to cook better pasta. The sauce was bland and the food arrived cold. The service also left a lot to be desired. Same thing with the breakfast buffet at Cottages. Nothing special and very uninspiring (and overpriced).

Secondly, the lobby was always in a constant state of disarray. Used glasses and plates were not cleared, there were newspapers and other garbage lying around on the floor. For a resort of this caliber, this is really unacceptable. Especially around New Years when they have a lot of guests, staff should constantly be monitoring the premises and cleaning up after guests leave.

Overall service quality was very poor. I raised some of the issues with the Front Office manager but nothing was done and no one follow up with me despite my requests.

On the upside, the rooms are very nice and the resort itself is quite attractive. It's really a shame that the management and staff are so poorly trained and not up to the task.

Avoid this hotel and go to one of many other luxurious inns in Ontario. You'll be happy you did.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank DeltaNYC
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is a great spot for what it is. Just spent new years eve there and they put on a good show. Dinner was ok, breakfast buffet was better. Rooms are large, comfortable and had nice high ceilings. For what I paid it was fair value. I was a little disappointed upon arrival as the Bellman did not show up after he was supposed to so had to get a cart and haul my own bags to the room. Not the end of the world but it is what it is.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I love this hotel! We stayed at the Residence Inn on Muskoka for a few days before we came to this resort for our last 2 days. I had just spent the entire summer studying for the MA bar examination and all I wanted (and my husband wanted) to do was relax. It was WONDERFUL. I had a few nightmares about missing the exam but the pine trees out the window every morning brought me back to reality. We self-parked and it was maybe a 2 minute walk up the hill. We are in our mid-20s and I didn't even think twice about the walk. The bathrooms are well appointed, beautiful marble, and incredibly clean. I took a bath every day. We used the fireplace each night. We cooked on the stovetops in the room (no oven) and saved a large amount of money by doing so. There is a barista downstairs that makes Starbucks drinks and she was great. When I couldn't find my husband I just went out to the fire pit in the front of the hotel and found him roasting marshmellows and making smores with the staff. The pools were clean and there was plenty of room to lounge and relax. I only worked out in the gym once but all of the equipment was new and the staff had bottled water. They had a morning yoga class that I wanted to go to but my pajamas and Starbucks won. We ordered lunch at the pool each day; the staff was quick and polite and the food was fantastic. We wanted to rent canoes or bikes but the cost was too much. My only complaint with this resort is that the recreational activities are a ridiculous price. However, we did the free morning hikes in the morning (with a guide) and lounged at the pool so we were happy. Romantic place for couples and family-friendly for active families. Also, we bought 2 sweatshirts in the gift shop for $99 each (crazy, I know). It was super high for a sweatshirt but they have embroidery and it was my gift to myself after studying all summer for the bar examination. We still have the sweatshirts, wear them all the time, and they are are super warm; if you are thinking about buying from the gift shop than I can vouch for the quality of their products.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
#28 of 55 in Muskoka District
Parry Sound Inn and Suites
Parry Sound Inn and Suites
#3 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!