“Three years running. Plan to keep coming back.”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Reviewed October 10, 2010

This place is really nice. The staff are super. They go that extra mile for you when in need. It's often the small things that make a stay a good stay vs great. Let me give you some examples.

- The night I checked in my doorman remembered me from previous years and made it a point to welcome me back, asked how my drive was.
- walking in to the main lobby Meredith the assistant resident astronomer made a point to come over to me and my kids to see if we were ready for our pre booked guided astronomy tour. We were checking in late so unfortunately we could not take the tour to which she assured me that she would sign us up for the following night.
- the following night after our astronomy tour, we bought a well thought out s'mores package for the outside firepit. The front desk lady ran to the kitchen and found us some marshmallow skewers.
- just as in previous years, while my wife was in the spa, Megan the superwoman of Cottages, pro actively noticed that my wife was not present for breakfast, looked up her itinerary, and offered me the choice of putting together a separate hot meal for her when she's ready. We opted for the take out.

Our family loves this place and plan to come back often.

• Stayed: October 2010
1  Thank kimura k

Reviewed September 30, 2010

Room is as nice as I've seen, beautifully appointed even including light switch controlled fireplace. From my understanding the resort is only a couple years old. Very clean, wonderful staff. Had absolutely no issues during my stay of 3 nights.
Would strongly recommend it. Email if you have any questions, but believe me, it's first rate.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank rickmcns
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I was at the resort for a business meeting one weekend, so I got to sample the great food (Teca was delicious, and the breakfast buffet is good as well), drinks and a few of the variety of amenities: the pool and hot tub (very clean and overlooking the great scenery), and the fitness centre (small but well-stocked with weights, treadmills, and medicine balls). The staff were very friendly and helpful - from the bartenders, to the wait staff, to the room service and cleaning staff.

The room was beautiful and clean - two queen beds, a large bathroom with both a bathtub and shower, and a balcony overlooking some pretty trees. The beds were so comfortable that each night I would fall asleep in mere minutes and wake up feeling refreshed. The decor is elegant and modern, and there's even a fireplace in the room that heated up in moments.

The resort is very quiet and soothing. I would definitely come here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Nicola_Six
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This beautiful hotel/resort is having trouble with staff. Two weeks prior to arrival, I had tried to contact the 'room allocations' person and was told her name was Carly and I left a message for her to call me. Twice. Three times. No call back. So I sent her an email and she responded that she'd do the best she could to give me other than the 'bush' view I had last year but couldn't promise anything. My room view was worse than last year's. Expressed my disappointment with Sushanto, front desk mgr, who was quite argumentative with me -- so much for customer 'service' so I just gave up. Quite a change from the other hotels in which I've spent over 70 nights so far this year. I don't know how Marriott sets the hotel 'category' lists they have rating their hotels from 1 to a high of 8. Rosseau was rated category 6 last year and fell to category 5 this year. It must be the problem they have with their people as the hotel is beautiful and the room decor quite spacious and upscale. WIFI is free on the lobby level but $16 a night in the room if you're not a gold/platinum Marriott Rewards member.

Our 2 dinners in Teca were quite enjoyable but would recommend the Cacciatore Platter for two which gives you a sampling of 3 entrees for $84. They serve everything on flat bread which seems dumb as the appetizer bread is also flat bread. The taxes kill you though -- our dinner was $139 and the 3 taxes made the bill $157 before tip.

Cottages Restaurant was a different matter. food less than ordinary, very noisy room, very slow service and overpriced. The outside patio dining is done by this restaurant and it took us over an hour to get our hamburgers and they had to be returned as they were cold. They brought some back again and they were cold too ... asked the server to 'feel' the meat and she agreed. The third serving was hot all right and the buns were burned. The $11 spaghetti plate for the kids was such a rip off ... just pasta and Heinz catsup.

We enjoyed the music in the bar one night, a singer did Billy Joel music and was great. We enjoyed our $12 drinks (wine and rum/coke) but thought the price was excessive. The only game in town I guess...so be prepared.

On check out day they didn't deliver our bill to the room as per normal Marriott, and there was no way of checking the bill on the TV, so we called for it be be sent to our room. The front desk said I should come down and get it, but I insisted they deliver it and was told it might take a while. Attitude.

There are no 'pay movies' on the TV but a couple of movie channels. We took some DVD's to watch as we were told they had players available. There was no DVD player but the front desk said they were out of their 'loaners' and they'd call me if one was returned ... they never called over the 5 days we were there.

I've been to so many JW's that I have lost count. Few are as nice as this place but without the normal Marriott service attitude and excessive prices the JW Rosseau has a lot of catching up to do before it drops to Category 4 next year. A shame.

A word about their facilities (for which they charge an $8 resort fee daily) ... the beach is VERY small and everything costs excessive amounts like $200 for an hour in a canoe -- it is quite a climb up and down from the main hotel to the beach. There is a pool about half way down from the main hotel which was more popular than the hotel pool probably because that's the only one you can order food at. Those staying in the building beside the 'half way' pool had a long walk over a covered bridge or climb stairs to the main hotel. Water views are very few in the main hotel -- they built more rooms facing the bushes for some strange reason. If you're not good at walking or climbing stairs you would be better in the main hotel. Valet parking $25 a day and a lengthy walk down a hill to the free parking if you don't catch their shuttle golf cart.

But do go and experience this resort ... just take your own food and booze with you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank pwrshift
Reviewed August 23, 2010

Visited the restaurant twice for dinner whilst staying in Rousseau Muskoka. On the second occasion, we waited 2 hours for dinner, despite having made a reservation in The Cottagers Restaurant. The Manager in charge showed little concern that our table of 8 were annoyed at the delay. Rather pricey also. On the first occasion, I chose the wrong salad. It contained what can only be described as creamed tin corn, mixed with tiny pices of chicken, bacon etc. Quite unappetising.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mbjstallard
Reviewed August 20, 2010

This is the 2nd time we have been here. We stayed 3 nights. This time, we tried the restaurants (Teca for dinner and Cottages for breakfast buffet) and both were pricey but excellent. We also visited nearby restaurants including Just Crepes (Port Carling), Crossroads (Rosseau), One Fifty-Five (Bracebridge), and Turtle Jacks (Port Carling). They were all good! We ended up cooking one breakfast and one dinner in our kitchenette which saved us from having to eat out every meal.

Our 2 year-old enjoyed playing at the beach which was nicely combed every morning. It's nice also to have the option of having indoor and outdoor pools.

My husband and I took turns going to the spa which was nice but super expensive. If you don't have massage coverage, you can skip it. Probably not worth $180 (after tax and tips) for a 50 minute massage.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Paradise amongst the pines. The place is top notch - from the accommodations to the spa, pools, gym etc. Only two restaurants on-site which are marginal for dinner but since each room has kitchenette, it is not a showstopper. We are looking into booking a conference here. Not sure what it would be like in the winter - may have to come back in February to check it out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
Best Western Plus Muskoka Inn
Comfort Inn Huntsville
Comfort Inn Huntsville
#4 of 18 in Huntsville

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!