“Fabulous Rooms and Pools”

JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Minett
Toronto, Canada
“Fabulous Rooms and Pools”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Rooms were beautiful and huge. Pools have a fantastic view of the lake and dining outside was spectacular. Food service needs a little work, would recommend bringing own breakfast foods instead of waiting in line in the morning as there is only one place to get breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank avidtraveller022

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We went as a family weekend February getaway for myself, my wife and our 2 young children. The facility is in excellent condition, the rooms were perfect, the staff was great and the food was good, although we used the kitchen in our suite more. We spent most of the time with the kids in the indoor / outdoor pool and hot tub, or skating on the small rink just outside the common area. The common rooms were large and great for lounging in. The place seems to be a hotbed for snowmobilers with very expensive looking rigs.
I have no complaints and would return here again, particulary when the off-season rates are so much less!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Rbarna_11
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2011

The resort is only a few years old its immaculate. The scenery from the 2 bedroom is gorgeous looking out at the Lake. If you're debating whether to pay a premium.......go for it as its well worth the price!!! The service is awesome....even the cleaning of our room was done with great detail to number of towels and how to place things. I was impressed.
Lots and lots of stuff to do if you like....though everything has a price attached so be ready for that. You can even cook as there's a grocery store 20 min drive away that's 24/7m
Highly recommended and way better than any other I've stayed....
There's water and trails everywhere!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank SanJose023
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

After careful review and referrals from friends, our son arranged for my husband and I to celebrate our anniversary at The Rosseau. What was supposed to be a dream gift turned out to be an unfortunate waste of time and money.

Before I share our experience, let me say that should you be able to book several months in advance, not have any issues with the dates booked and plan to be staying at the Rosseau for a minimum of a weekend, I am sure you would be impressed by the beauty of the area and you would have a very relaxing experience.

As stated, our son arranged for our stay at the resort as a gift. Unfortunately the date he requested did not work for us. We called the resort as soon as we received the gift and requested a change in the date. After over 30 minutes on the phone with the customer service rep, and new reservations made, we were told that my son would still be charged for the original date as we had called too late to avoid a cancellation fee. We hung up the phone stating that we would then do our best to keep the original date and to cancel the new reservation made.

A day before we were supposed to go, I called them again, as although we tried to rearrange our schedules, it was impossible to keep the reservation as it had been booked. This time I spoke with a different customer service agent who apologized for the confusion with the 1st rep and assured me that we could change the reservation. Unfortunately, the resort did not have availability on every date that we were available from August to October(7 different Friday or Saturday dates). Finally, we settled on a Sunday explaining to the customer service rep that we needed to be back home before 8am Monday morning for work(2 hour drive away), therefore we would appreciate an early check in(their guaranteed check in is 4pm) so that we could enjoy the facilities as long as possible. Also, our package included a $200.00 Spa credit, which we could not use after 4pm on a Sunday. We were assured this would not be a problem and given the number for the spa to set our appointment.

I called the spa and was told that they were fully booked for the date that we were going to be at the resort but that we could use our credit on a future visit. We were not thrilled with this, but accepted it as we understood that it was fairly short notice(10 days in advance) and we were trying to be flexible.

We arrived at the resort at 2:45pm. The desk service advised us that our room was not ready. "Your room is guaranteed for 4pm. Yes, our computer shows that you requested early check in, however your room is not available at this time" This was repeated in monotone each time we asked what could be done. We were handed a card to go to the pool if we wanted to go swimming while we waited and told they would call my cell phone when the room was ready.

We waited in the lobby and at 3:53 my cell phone rang, our room was ready. I went to the desk where were given the key and told that we had a buffet breakfast included with our package. I explained that we had to leave the resort at 6:15am to which they advised me to order room service as the buffet would not be open. They also asked us for our credit card and when I explained that our son had given us the trip as a gift, they stated that they had his credit card information but that unless he was physically at the hotel with the card, they could not charge his card and that we would need to provide payment. After alot of discussion, we agreed that they would email him an authorization form for payment.

The room was beautiful. Muskoka cottage style, up on a hill with a stunning view of the lake. We changed immediately and went out to explore the grounds and take a swim. The saltwater, indoor/outdoor pool was warm and inviting. We would have enjoyed the option of having a drink at the pool but there is no such service. We decided to walk down to the beach, possibly rent a canoe and go out on the lake, however as it was Sunday and after 5pm, the rentals were closed. We walked back up to the resort (steep walk if you are not in top shape) We had reservations at Teca(the Italian restaurant within the hotel) at 6:30 however when we arrived, they could not find our reservation. The restaurant was fairly deserted at the time but the hostess mumbled they may not have seating. The manager came over and told us they had one table left for two and showed us to our seat. The meal was light and delicious and we toasted our 23rd anniversary with a few laughs over the issues that had arisen and an appreciation for the beauty of the surroundings and the kindness and generosity of our children. The bed was a king size cloud that we both loved and 5am came far too early. The shower pressure is similar to standing in the rain but the facilities are modern, well appointed and clean. We ordered room service, as advised, and although the eggs and bacon with coffee and juice for two was wonderful, keep in mind it came with a bill just under $50.00(18% gratuity automatically added to all service bills which we didn't realize until after we tipped and staff happily accepted the extra 20% they received without a word) The large balcony was the perfect place to watch the sun come up with coffee in hand and we both expressed how much we would have enjoyed being able to have stayed longer.

Upon check out, we were asked if we wanted the room charged to our credit card. I explained that they were supposed to get the authorization form from my son. The rep told me that they did not have it and that we would have to pay for the room. It was not worth arguing so we paid however I requested a credit on the breakfast and the coupon for the unused spa service. I was told that the spa service was only applicable to our current stay and that they did not give coupons for future visits. We were also told that we were welcome to stay and enjoy the buffet but that they could not credit us as it was our choice whether to stay or not.

I explained my disappointment over the entire experience to the desk clerk and was told "That is unfortunate. I hope you have a very nice day!"

In short, you expect more from a resort that costs you over $700.00 for less than 14 hours. At least an effort by the staff to be caring about the situation rather than robotic, text book responses.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are a must and he best views are from the 3rd or 4th floors
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bbflwr
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Stayed here aug 7-10/2011 with my family (2 adults & 2 kids).

The rooms are beautiful. We booked at 2 room suite & it was HUGE! 2 bathrooms & a large kitchen. Better than being at home!

It has 5 pools with 3 pools for families right outside our door

The boys went kayaking, swimming, built their own Teddy bears. We had a nice fire with s'mores. Then the whole family rented bikes and went mountain biking.

The food was to die for and was reasonably priced. Try the fish tacos at the pool yum yum!

Definitely coming back every summer as this is a great family tradition to continue. HIGHLY recommend for families!

Thank you JW Marriott Muskoka for a great summer vacation & see you next summer!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011
Ancaster
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I'm sitting here in the resort writing this. I wanted to get it off my chest and let you all know that if you are looking for the amazing JW Marriott expereience that you are used to - don't come here! The only thing amazing that this hotel has is the view but you can get that even at the resort next door. This is the 3rd time we have been here at the resort.
As a Marriott Silver rewards member I was upgraded to a balcony suite 2 years in a row but this time around I was told they couldn't do that. Well, I could for a considerable upgrade fee! Service has not improved over the years it is still a a substandard
JW Marriott. There are a couple of other things to note. Currently two of the blenders are broken and we could have a frozen drink. 3 of us ordered Margarita's on the rocks and today and the drinks tasted like green salt water. I'm not quite sure if they even added alchohol. We mentioned it to the waiter and he brought us 3 complimentary Mojitos - same thing they tasted like water. - we didn't finish any of them but were charged a pretty penny. When we checked in there was a sock on the floor in our room. I called cleaning staff to come pick it up. BTW I'm a loyal Marriott member but seriously there are some major issues with this hotel not just this year every year we are here. Last year a couple beside us send back their lobster because it smelled funny. Today one of my colleagues had poorly cooked chicken. The staff don't seem happy to work here either - it shows - customer service overhaul needed! Not worth the $

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
7 Thank its5oclocksomewhere1
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed at this resort for two nights in the middle of the week in July 2011 as a little getaway trip. We golfed nine holes at The Rock golf course before checking in the first afternoon which was great, but by the time we checked in around 5pm they didn't have any rooms left with a king sized bed like we'd reserved, so we had to settle for two queens which was disappointing. Also, the little shop at the resort was closed at 5pm so we weren't able to buy any supplies for the room such as water, etc, our only option was to go through room service.

The grounds were gorgeous, the pool, hot tub and spa deck overlooked the lake, it was breathtaking. However, that first night's meal experience was very disappointing. We tried calling The Cottages (one of the dining rooms in the resort) to make a reservation, and the line rang busy for half an hour. We finally called the front desk, which initially told us to call back, but finally they were able to put us through to the reservation desk. We went to the restaurant at our reservation time, where the two of us were seated in a cramped table with an unsupervised table of four children (who were surprisingly well behaved) on one side, and through the glass wall on the other side there sat a large table of ten people blocking any view of the lake we might have had. We were given menus and bread, then left with no further service. At all. No servers came to take our drink order even, is was unreal. After 15 minutes we finally just left and went to the bar. We did tell one of the hostesses what had happened, and she apologised, but she didn't send a manager over to attempt to rectify the situation. We decided to eat at the bar, which had the exact same food menu as the restaurant (which was not extensive) and a way better wine list which was odd. We were served mainly by a bartender named Derek who was great, but the other bartender who was there was not only ineffective, but would often block Derek's view of other customers (including us), resulting in our drinks sitting empty for a while before they were noticed. Derek seemed to be as efficient as he could be with little or no help from the other bartender, who was mainly visiting with another staff member who was there on her day off with her mom, also eating and drinking at the bar. I have no problem with staff members coming to their place of employment on their days off, but I felt that it was disrespectful that she was paid an inordinate amount of attention not only by the bartender but also by serving staff who came to chat with her from the restaurant, while we sat with empty drinks and hadn't even been served in the restaurant.

The next morning my husband went back to The Rock and played 18 holes of golf while I went to the spa. I was given a relaxation massage by a therapist there (I can't remember her name!) who was very attentive to my specific needs (I have some medical issues) and gave me a wonderful treatment.

We had all of our other meals off of the resort (in Port Carling and at The Rock - which had a more extensive food menu and wine list than The Cottage at the resort) due to our poor experience the first night. Also, we had thought about just eating dinner on our little deck in our room, but the room service menu was incredibly limited, which also led us to leaving the resort for our meals.

The staff (aside from some of the restaurant staff) was incredibly friendly. We didn't pass one staff member on the resort without being greeted warmly and even asked how our stay was so far, how we were doing, etc. That aspect was very welcoming.

When we checked out I was asked how our stay was, and I told the lady checking me out and the manager standing beside her that it was very nice aside from the lack of service at the restaurant. They both looked a bit shocked when I told them what had happened, apologised, but again did nothing to rectify the situation or make it up to us.

Overall the resort was lovely, but it certainly was not five star. We would say three and a half stars.

Room Tip: Check in early to avoid losing out on the nicest rooms!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minett
Residence Inn by Marriott Gravenhurst Muskoka Wharf
Comfort Inn Huntsville
Comfort Inn Huntsville
#5 of 18 in Huntsville
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Huntsville

Been to JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!