“Charming spot, stellar staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Les Copains d'abord - CLOSED

Les Copains d'abord
Cuisines: French, Greek, Contemporary, Wine Bar, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Situated in downtown Mont-Tremblant, Copains inspires all of the senses with its modern chic ambiance, contemporary french cuisine, and gracious service.
Ottawa, Canada
“Charming spot, stellar staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had a late dinner here on a Friday night in March and got to see how a restaurant truly rises to the occasion when challenged. They had just two reservations - ours, 4 people, and another table of two - for that evening, but when we arrived the place was full. Consequently, they were out of some menu items but we ate very well nonetheless, beginning with a classic beef tartare for my friends and a wonderful beet and apple "tartare" with chevre and sherry vinegar for me. Delightful.

For mains, two expertly cooked short ribs and a gorgeously medium-rare filet mignon graced the table along with my grilled salmon. Since I did not order the salmon, this was a surprise to me - turns out I was misheard when I asked for the scallops. However, our waitress was a star - I said I was fine to eat the salmon, as it looked delicious, and she immediately offered to prepare me a side of the scallops. I agreed and two fat scallops, plated gorgeously, were on the table within five minutes. In the end I preferred the sauce on the salmon to the one on the scallops (but both were excellent and nicely cooked) so it was just fine.

Some great wines were poured by the glass and many interesting choices were available. My friend wasn't sure what he wanted to drink and was invited to taste three different wines before making his selection. Pours were generous and wines well-priced. Total class.

We closed the place down and had a great chat with the bartender who, when he heard we were from Ottawa, recommended a restaurant in Gatineau that he loved - a place where, coincidentally, the four of us have eaten very well together. These folks know their food. Very impressed. We'll be back.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
chefguy2009, Owner at Les Copains d'abord, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guests
Thank-you for the kind words concerning your evening at Copains.You're absolutly right about this industry, you never know whats coming.....!! Glad you enjoyed your evening and the service provided by our front house team.You're right about the salmon, the sauce ia outta this world. It was a pleasure hosting you .

Toronto
“Could have been so much better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Food was very good!!! Good quality, good portion size and tasty. Ambience is great. So why isn't this a 5 rating..... YOU DON'T PUT ITEMS ON THE MENU THAT ARE NOT AVAILABLE OR MAKE SURE YOU TELL THE PERSON THAT ORDERS THE ITEM THAT YOU HAVE CHANGED THE MENU ITEM. My wife ordered brazed beef ibs with risotto. Sounded good. What she got was brazed beef ribs with mashed potatoes. Changing the menu item is one problem but the worst part was when we mentioned this to the waiter, he consulted with the chef and told us no risotto tonight... no apology, no concern... just told us that's the way it was and left to service another table. We received the bill and no adjustment, and $11 for water added to our bill. Aside from that, very good food. You will have to decide it this was an isolated incident or maybe the service sucks.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ski_guy_10
chefguy2009, Owner at Les Copains d'abord, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about your dining experience at Copains on Monday, March 10 and for the wonderful words concerning the choices of food that you ordered. I’m disappointed to read that miscommunication / negligence by our waiter resulted with a disappointing experience for you at Copains. I must inform you that we take these matters very very seriously. You should never have to endure this type of service.. Anywhere!. I was the chef on duty that night and as instructed to the waiter, risotto was not available that night as was salmon (never a fresh fish delivery on Mondays).

Your review has been discussed with the waiter in question (as well as other waiting staff) and he has been reprimanded. As you can read from past reviews, we are in the business of making people happy with food and service so this is highly unusual. It's so important to us that our guests leave raving about their meals. This is obviously an isolated incident which I can assure you will not repeat itself.

I hope you will give Copains another chance. When planning your next visit, I invite you to contact me directly so that I can ensure you enjoy an experience that shows our dedication to exceptional food and genuine hospitality. Feel free to contact me at lescopainsdabordtremblant@gmail.com or by phone at 1-819-681-7869.

Again, thank you for helping to improve our restaurant and we hope to see you soon.
On behalf of the staff and myself,

Eric Marle
Brookfield, Connecticut
“Special evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a wonderful meal beginning with a delicious complementary appetizer. The food is excellent and the service is friendly. The chef welcomes his patrons personally, which is a nice change. The Maple Sugar Tartlette was delicious! I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for fine dining and good service.

Dear Tripadvisor contributor,

Thank-you for sharing your thoughts with us.
Good positive comments always motivate us to push the envelope and do even better.
You're right about the tarte, its getting alot of attention..)))
It was a pleasure meeting you both,
CT
“Perfect from start to finish!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

From the moment we walked in, we knew we were in for a treat. We were served a taste of something served in a wafer cone. The escargot stew was delicious and unique. The salmon was served with a mixture of tastes and textures that made it really unusual. The maple sugary dessert was out of this world...not too sugary, and just the right texture. Having the chef/owner visit with us several times topped off this special dinner. Thank you!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear guests, Many thx for the positive review on T/A.
I was indeed a pleasure to meet you and talk food. Glad you enjoyed the miniature cones as an amuse bouche..)) Please keep safe and feel free to drop a line anytime for a receipe .
Ottawa, Canada
“Always an excellent evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I've been dinning at this restaurant for many years now and recently had finicky gourmet guests dine with us. They we're impressed beyond belief, which in turn made my evening as hostess a complete success. Once again thanks to the very caring service and especially the fine cuisine of Chef Eric.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
chefguy2009, Owner at Les Copains d'abord, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear guests,
Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience on T/A and for the wonderful words.
We were honoured once again by your visit as it was indeed a pleasure to cook for you again.
So glad you had a good time with us and that you enjoyed our new «Duck both ways».
Always a pleasure to see you both,
Keep safe,