“A bit of a let down”

Cross street: Montee Ryan
Montreal, Canada
“A bit of a let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have always wanted to go to Aux Truffes for dinner as it is the only fine dining French restaurant in Tremblant. We went over the Canada Day weekend to give it a shot as the breakfast I had there a number of months ago was really good. We took the table d'hote as it gives you 4 courses for the price of the main. We had an option of soup (Leek and parsley) or a mixed salad. All of us took the soup and sadly it was a pretty sad thing. Doused heavily with white pepper so that is all you could taste and it needed a good pass through a strainer. Next was a choice of lobster and sweet potato ravioli or a parmentier of duck confit. The parmentier was fantastic. Shredded confit with mashed potatoes and melted cheese. What's not to like about that? Unfortunately the ravioli which sounded great was a let down. A large palm sized ravioli that had sweet potato and miniscule bits of lobster that had no lobster flavour at all. Also it almost looked deep fried. Odd.

For the main courses we had stuffed rabbit, filet, and the black cod. All of the mains came with great lentils, spaghetti squash, and sweet potato. The filet was terrific, the rabbit was good, albeit a little on the smaller portion size. The cod was also good except for the 6 large bones that I had to excuse myself from the conversation to get one out of my mouth. Unacceptable for a fine dining restaurant.

To finish it off the entire group had a molten chocolate torte which was good. The service was also good. My last complaint will be the wine list. This has me quite puzzled as it was so basic most bistro's have a better one. I don't think I have ever seen a wine list in a fine dining restaurant so pedestrian. I even asked if they had anything other than the run of the mill wines of maybe 7 whites and 9 reds......they did not. A good Languedoc would be nice! Again I expect better for a fine French restaurant.

All in all the meal was not bad but for the price ( around $300 for two with tax and tip) they definitely need to pull up their socks. A lot of the food related issues should not be here. I will come back, but probably only for breakfast which was very good the first time I visited.

• Visited July 2013

Montreal, Quebec
“1 of 2 Fine Dining in Village!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I can't say there are any other choices when it comes to fine dining in the ski village.

We wanted higher end dining and this place was a no brainer. Expect a pricy tab!

I believe their menu is constantly evolving so what you might've tried your last visit may not be on the menu your next visit.

Our visit was in late Winter, early-February so I'm sure the menu was changed since.

FOOD
* I remember the Risotto was very nicely presented and very tasty with some layering of flavours.
* My Tartare duo appetizer was delicious, tender + full of flavour (absolutely zero chewy bits left inside like some restos and some good acidity to the finish).
* My wife loved the molten chocolate cake.

ATMOSPHERE
The atmosphere of the place was nice, but nothing special. I would call it generic higher end.

SERVICE
I recall service was "so-so" with a warm greeting at the start by the host/manager but after he showed us to our table the service and pace was slow if not poor overall meaning not very attentive during a not very busy weeknight with only 3-4 other tables comprised on couples, not groups.

However, I would go back for the food which left us with a positive lasting impression.

• Visited February 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“very good, but not top rated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

A nice experience, with kind and professional service. However, we expected gourmet quality food and this is definitely lacking.

Fish was overcooked, salad greens slightly wilted...nothing exceptional - especially for the price!

However, lovely ambiance, and an enjoyable evening otherwise.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank ottawatraveler_11
Va. Beach
“Romantic, gourmet delight!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Aux Truffes offered superb French food in an elegant, romantic atmosphere. We had the duck and the rabbit, and could not have been more pleased. The service was excellent, and it was a wonderful evening.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank kathydiverVaBeach
Toronto, Canada
“Old glory badly faded”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We used to love this resturant and after a six year absence we were waiting forward to get reaquinted.
Sadly nothing is as it used to be. Tired incompetent service, tired decor, average at best cooking is what you get now. The only old over are the high prices which used to be reasonable considering the four diamonds rating on the wall. The four diamonds are from 2002, and they remind you that you missed the boat throughout the night.

In one word - it was atrocious. Sadly we inflicted this place on our family and friends, will not do so again

4 Thank Jakep480