“Terrible service”

Le Sommet des Neiges
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Mont Tremblant
“Terrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Arrived on a Sunday - not a busy checkin time - at our arranged time, to be told room was not ready, come back in 2 hours at 4 pm
Not happy but what can you do? Dutifully trudged off to wander the village, leaving luggage in the care of the hotel.
Returned at the appointed time to be told room still not ready, but that we should check back every 15 minutes to see if we could move in. Them we saw our luggage on a cart, unattended in the middle of the foyer. Finally reception said we could have a room but not one that was booked - we should take that room or wait another hour and a half.
Location of hotel is great, they need some instruction on service!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Steveodor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I spent a 4-day weekend with a group of friends at Le Sommet. It's perfectly located at the base of Mont-Tremblant and you can easily walk to the gondola in ski boots from the hotel's exit. It's also very conveniently located near the village's restaurants. Based on those things, I would give the hotel a 4/5 or 5/5 rating. The problem we had was that when we called and asked for a room that could hold eight people even on fold-out sofas, they couldn't give us one. We had to book two separate rooms. When we arrived, they put us in rooms next to each other - one had a king bed and a fold out sofa, but the OTHER had a king bed in one room, two doubles in the other, and a full-sized fold-out sofa in the living room - capable of holding the eight of us. We couldn't help but feel that they just made us book the extra room for the extra $1000 since they put us in the exact room we requested but told us it wasn't available in time to cancel the other room. Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in being price-gouged.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank StellaInRealLife
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

I booked this 3 night stay over President's weekend and was very lucky to have found a last minute opening. We usually stay at The Fairmont but it was sold out. I chose Le Sommet des Neiges mainly for the location and convenience. As we only get a chance to ski once a year, I seek out premium properties with excellent reviews. I was puzzled as to why this property had some negative reviews, so here is my take on things.

I don't mind spending $$ for an exceptional property but the main problem with this property is that it is far too expensive for what you get. Ok - it IS at the base of the gondola but that's pretty much it. Let's face it, Mont Tremblant is beautifully designed with a central village and a transportation system that makes it a breeze to get just about anywhere within minutes. You can also pay a nominal fee and use the ski valet service at the base of the gondola. That pretty much disqualifies the need to accept the justification that you pay more to be near the slopes.

Upon arrival, the exterior and lobby were consistent with the architecture of the village and the front desk staff was very friendly and attentive to our every need. I was very pleased that we were able to check in early as we were very tired from our early morning departure. The staff had our lift tickets ready but we were not notified about the ski lockers. Not a big deal.... The rental shop sits adjacent to the ski locker doors, so it is very convenient.

The 3 bedroom condo was spacious, clean and modern. I suspect we were in one of the newer renovated rooms as we had flat screen TV's, nice furnishings and convenient push button gas fireplaces in the master and living room. It was also very nice to have 3 separate bathrooms and a huge soaking tub in the master. Mind you, the ONLY time I ever take a leisurely bath is after a day of skiing. The bathroom vanity seemed ill suited to the room and really needed to be bigger in scale and function. Again, if you are expecting 5 star hotel bathrooms, go somewhere else.

I agree with other reviews that the maid service was very disappointing, given the price range. All the staff did was collect the garbage and recycle each day. No beds were made. I don't think I heard a vacume the whole time. And they didn't get around to the room until fairly late in the day. Weird.

Here's the thing that this establishment misses the point on. Don't skimp! If they just had a few bells and whistles, they would already have me signed up for next year. Little things just sort of set me off; for example: The kitchen was well stocked for cooking but after your one complimentary sack of coffee, that's it. You are ON YOUR OWN. Don't try to snatch some off of the maid's cart because you won't find any more. Provisions here are rationed as if someone did the break even and said 'AH HA - I found a way to make a profit.' Good thing my husband brought hair conditioner cause there simply wasn't any. They did compensate by leaving an extra teeny-tiny bottle of shampoo, however.

Also, don't expect any granite countertops here. The appliances are basic, like what you would expect in a far more modest ski condo. Mind you, it was all clean but again, at the price you are paying per night, it should be more luxurious.

No, I'm not just ranting. Let me give you some perspective. It used to be a good deal for Americans to do their ski thing in Canada with the favorable exchange rate. Not the case any more. The kitchen is a big deal because I was planning on eating most meals in. I'm glad I did because the restaurant prices were sky high, and there are more taxes than you can shake your ski pole at!

The little grocery that you can walk to (Magasin Général) is lovely but horribly overpriced. I thought I would purchase a kitchen sponge but it was $6.00. I mean, is it too much to leave a roll of paper towels in the room, sponge and perhaps some complimentary foil and plastic wrap? Also, the food items at this shop were pretty basic. Don't expect to eat more than baguettes and cheese from this establishment.

The hotel DID have complimentary cookies in the lounge area but they were scarce. I don't know who determines which interval to put them out or if someone puts maybe 20 of them there and when they are gone, they are GONE. Don't despair, as there WAS free cucumber water! For hot chocolate, you had to pay $1.50 at the front desk for that special treat. Hello? Cheap, cheap cheap! At these prices, there should always be some sort of snack in the front lounge which is complimentary. Does it cost that much to have a bowl of apples, tea, hot cocoa, etc.... ?

How about having a weekly manager's wine and cheese party? Limit it to an hour and give your clients something special to say about your establishment that sets it apart from the rest. How about milk and cookies for the little ones with a story hour? I saw a lot of young families and just a simple step like this would go a LONG way.

It would also be helpful to have a local grocery and liquor delivery service. How about teaming up with other local vendors to deliver to the hotel? If this service exists, it was not advertised and it would be a huge benefit for both the restaurant community and hotel guests alike.

Finally - I found that there was an active mouse trap under the master bathroom vanity. Yes, it was set. Enough said?

Room Tip: Try to find a discount price as these rooms are really expensive for what you get!
3 Thank momaTFlorida
Lucia M, Manager at Le Sommet des Neiges, responded to this review, June 17, 2012
Hello,

It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your last visit. I invite you to contact me directly so we can discuss it further. After your review was posted a thorough investigation was performed and I can assure you we do not have a mouse issue at the hotel. Furthermore placing mouse traps is not part of our protocol and thus we are sincerely baffled by the apparition of such a contraption.

Reagrds,

Lucia
Vaughan, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights we booked it 3 months in advance in order to take advantage of the discount they were giving.
Our check in went smoothly and the room was a great size we had 2 queen size bed's and a sofa bed for 3 adult's and 2 kid's.
The kitchen is really well equiped with anything you could need we used it all 3 day's and only went out to dinner once.
The hotel is in a great location to reach the lift's and they give you a locker and a lock to store your equipment in at the end of the day.
We had access to a few things as we booked in advance - valet storage for our equipment, ice skating including the rental, unlimited tobboganing.
As we had kid's it was important for us to be so close to the lift's and in the hotel itself there is a play room for kid's and a youth room so if your kid's are a bit older they can hang there.
After a day of skiing we had a dip in the hot tub with the kid's it was great even though it is outside.
The only issue we had was that they did not empty out trash can's which were overflowing but i saw one of the cleaning crew in the hall and asked therm to take care of it and by the time we came back it was done.
All in all a great vacation and great location for the hotel.

Bermuda
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

We have stayed here twice before and it is our top pick for Tremblant mainly because of the spaciousness of the units and proximity to the slopes.

If you have a room with a view to the mountain you will have a front row seat to see where the kids start and finish at the ski school. There is a locker room for ski storage and is just a few steps from the ski rental location, gondola, cabriolet, pedestrian village and the aforementioned ski school. We have five children and being so close is the ideal way to go. I am not a skier so could watch from the window and using a radio could direct my husband (who is a skier) to each child for pick up from the ski school because I had the whole view from above. We also brought up some "saucers" for sliding and once the slopes were closed for skiing could send the kids out for sliding while we could watch them from our window (kids old enough, of course).

The units themselves are starting to appear dated and in need of some upgrading but this is not a "show-stopper". I found the king size bed in the master bedroom to be uncomfortably soft which I found surprising given my experience thus far with them. The staff were friendly, helpful and available. The housekeeping service was rather minimum as they would go through the 2 bedroom condo in about ten minutes (make beds, change towels and take out the garbage). On our second day the "cleaning" was only done at 15:00.

This is not an inexpensive stay but part of the price reflects on the amenities of the village. Having five children means that we do not go out in the evening after a long day of skiing in favour of cooking and spending an evening playing games in front of the fire. There are full service grocery stores about 15 minutes drive away which we take advantage of and one can factor in the saving of not eating out when considering the cost of accommodation. I also was able to take advantage of a 20% discount for booking early (November for February).

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces the mountain.
1 Thank traveler10071
Lucia M, Directeur général at Le Sommet des Neiges, responded to this review, February 18, 2012
Greetings,

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Indeed the location is prime and allows families in particular to really get the most out of their vacation!

Actually the last phase of renovations are scheduled for April 2012. Paint, plush new carpeting and new draperies will complement what has already been done. Our guests have raved about the fabulous new flat screen Tv''s in every room, new furniture and new mattresees for optimum sleep comfort.

The cleaning service offered corresponds with the number of night's a guest stays with us. If the service included does not correspond to your needs you can always request to speak to a Housekeeping Supervisor and they will assuredly find a solution to ensure client satisfaction.

We hope to see you come back soon for your next family vacation.

Take care! :)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Stayed for 2 days during a ski trip and business meeting. This is actually a condo-hotel with many of the units available for rent. The condos are spacious (we had a 3 bdr) and very well equipped. It is the closest to the gondola and in an excellent location. There is an outside pool (open in summer only) and a hot tub open year round. Our unit was well furnished and very comfortable. No restaurant in the building. Another good choice and a little less expensive is the "Lodge de la montagne" right next door. My brother-in-law has 2 units in that building and they are very similar with the same amenities but a little smaller. They both also have indoor parking and ski lockers. Don't expect to much service since this is more of a residence. Definitely recommend for couples and families however the surrounding area does get a little noisy with all the bars, activities, festivals, etc.

Room Tip: Ground floor gives you direct access to the units without needing the elevator.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Whitby, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

The location is excellent. Check in was very good. The staff is very friendly. The rooms are nice but need to be redone. Will go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple