“Accommodating” 5 of 5 bubbles

Domaine Summum
Montreal, Canada
“Accommodating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We needed a place to stay with our dog at the last minute due to a long power outage.
The owner and staff were more than helpful and accommodating!
Great trails, beautiful scenery, cannot wait to go back and enjoy the magnificent fall colours that surround the beautiful cabins!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
BirgitSchulze, Owner at Domaine Summum, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
I wanted to thank you for the review, hopefully we will see you again, this time not for a hydro shortage, but to spend some prime time relaxing. Birgit

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

What a wonderful place for both humans and dogs. The accomodations are are well maintained and have everything needed. My dog loved running free on the trails and enjoyed meeting other dogs. He especially enjoyed meeting Susie, a golden lab who was also visiting. The Bernese Mountain dogs greeted him with some friendly Woof Woof.
And if you are looking to be really spoiled - they offer some meals prepared by Chef Tina - that you can just pop in the oven to heat up.
We have already booked a return visit for September. It is one of the few actual "Dog Friendly" accommodations we have found. Most hotels charge a premium for dogs and then tell you they can't even sit in the lobby.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BirgitSchulze, Owner at Domaine Summum, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Hi there,
Sometimes life passes so fast....this is my case in responding to your review! You have been here so often, I thank you so much for your support, and love having you come back.
Just to let you know we have a new chef, Patti who is amazing :-) This summer we have had so many people place orders and I keep hearing that the food was so tasty!
Have a wonderful fall,
Birgit and Shell
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My dog Jack and I had a perfect stay at Domaine Summum. Everything was better than I expected. I thought it looked great from the pictures on the website, but it was even better in reality. The property is beautiful!!! It's paradise!!! And there's such a great attention to detail – the minute you arrive, you know the owners love dogs and understand what you need to have a great vacation with your pet. Can't think of a more peaceful and relaxing place. Wow!

The chalet was spotless clean, very cozy and had everything I needed. The bed was very comfortable, I slept like a baby! Watching the stars at night on a lounge chair with my dog on my lap was priceless.

We took long walks on the soft mossy trails, my dog running free and looking happy as ever! A one-year old Border Collie has tons of energy, and he had plenty of opportunities to burn it all off! He swam in the lake over and over, chased squirrels and birds in the woods (don't worry – he didn't catch any!!!), and meanwhile, I had an amazing time unwinding from my busy life, enjoying the fresh air and all the pretty scents of nature.

This weekend getaway was more relaxing than if I had spent a whole week at the beach!!! My only disappointment: it was too short!!! I will definitely go back – for a longer stay next time! In the Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer... Thanks to the owners for creating such a beautiful, inviting and dog-friendly place!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
BirgitSchulze, Owner at Domaine Summum, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for the great write-up. It was a real pleasure meeting you and of course Jack, looking forward to having you come back for a longer stay, where you will really unwind and enjoy nature to the upmost.
Have a great fall,
Gatineau, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

I needed a place to relax in nature with my dog. This was my first visit at Domaine Summum for 2 nights (really not long enough, trust me!).
Not only the owners are hearty, the cabin was so clean, welcoming and comfortable. Perfectly equipped, large bathroom, lots of storage and individual BBQ, I did not lack of anything! Wood and fire pit were kindly provided to enjoy a nice camp fire.
My dog has loved making new friends, swimming in the lake, walking, playing and running without a leash and the most important, allowed in the cabin just like at home!!
Family members were authorized to come over to visit me, and they really liked the site and the time spent at Domaine Summum.
This is a perfect and peaceful place for families and dog owners to have a wonderful vacation without having to use dog kennel or dog-sitting.
Only minutes away from Mont-Tremblant village, restaurants and attractions.
Thank you very much Birgit and associates, keep-up the marvellous work!!
I will definitely go back for a longer stay, I will show pictures and recommend the site to family and friends!!

1 Thank Mat-Tom-Tom
What wonderful feedback, I am looking forward to seeing you soon with Tom Tom, who is a complete delight. Enjoy the spring! Birgit
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I agree 100% with Mike5569.

Every bad experience you had, we had as well. Their website is extremely embellished. I would not recommend this place unless you're expectations are low. Apart from the cleanliness of the place, there is nothing to write home about.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Northern222
BirgitSchulze, Owner at Domaine Summum, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
During the stay of my guests and upon the departure of guests, I try my utmost to see how my guests are doing, if they need anything... and also.ask them how their stay was upon departure, if they have any comments positive or negative to write them in the guest book, if they so like, or speak to me in person, sometimes it does happen that I am not present upon their departure. Since I do not know who you are, it is difficult to know exactly how you were disappointed in your vacation as I cannot specifically answer your questions. What I can say is that many of the guests who have stayed here , had only positive feedback, confirming that they definitely will come back.
I had an arrival yesterday, who was surprised, "his words wow..., everything was nicer than what was on the website.....normally he said it was the opposite, that guests were disappointed.
Nothing is embellished on the website.
as they saying goes..
"You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."
unfortunate but true :-(
Montreal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at the "Domain Summum" from July 26th till July 28th.

My husband, my son, my Dog and I stayed at the Domain for 2 nights. My first reaction getting inside the cabin #4 was, WOW this is not a typical cabin with old amenities, everything is up to date and clean, perfectly decorated and every little pots and pans you need, was there. At the suggestion of Birgit the owner of the place, we were able to move the table and chairs and the BBQ on the side door to have more privacy, and it was perfect. When we arrived at the Domain, we had a nice welcome, and a good explanation of our surroundings. When she knew we wanted to make a bond fire she brought woods for us to burn. (we just had to provide our starter woods which you can get 5 minutes away at a gas station for 8$ and we were able to enjoy a fire on a nice Saturday night. I was so worry about leaving our young dog run around the cabin without a leash, but Birgit reassured us, that she never lost a dog and the dog will always come back running to us, which my dog did. We had our own private fenced in yard for dogs, so we were able to leave our dog for 2 to 3 hours to go do an activity. I was pleased with everything. Thank you Birgit for the nice stay.
I will definitively go back there in a heart beat.

Martine, Andrew, Jesse and lady ( woof woof )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Martyp8
It has already been a year :-) Lot's has changed since you have been here, we now have a new chef, making incredible meals, Yappi hour and more....
Hope to see you back in the near future,
Mirabel, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

we stayed at the Domaine Summum from June 28th to July 1st 2013. At the time we booked, I had personally called to clarify information with an employee. Upon arrival, the disappointments began. We were greeted and brought to our cabin that we made sure was detached. When we get to it, we realize it is in fact 2 cabins in one, and that we would have neighbours as of the next day. I had specifically asked that it was detached and was assured that it was. We were explained some rules about the dogs being on leashes around the buildings and especially near the kennel because it made the owners dogs jealous. We were asked to even sign a document stating that we would respect this....but isn't this the purpose of this place?? That the dogs run free with the other dogs and with the kennel dogs!! I had specifically asked about this as well, and was assured that the dogs were all free to roam. That's why we came here. We were also told the we had our own private fire pit, but it is shared by the occupants of the 2 cabins. The cabin was very clean and nice, but lacked some necessities that we thought would have been included like a Kleenex box, scott towels, and sugar. We were told that they were not included because clients leave with them,...at over 300$ a night...not my problem. The double bed sheets were very old and uncomfortable. We would have liked to use their fireplace (ELECTRIC)to dry our wet shoes, but the sound of the fan was unbearable. OK so we didn't panic, we shall go out for a walk with the dog in the trails. We were advised because of the rain to stay away from the mountain trail due to mud, so we used the other one. We completed the trail in approximately 8 minutes ...we looked for the hydro trail they told us about but absolutely no indications otherwise than a couple of ribbons. We tried every little trail we could find always bringing us back to the start. the next 2 days other clients showed up, but no dogs were lose because of the rule about being on leashes, so no dogs had any contact with each other. we just saw people once and a while walking by with their dogs on leashes. We walked around the small lake looking for maybe a beach or something but there is none. There are 4 docks going out to the water, of which one is private, one is unsafe looking and the other 2 ok. A couple of pedal boats available but filled with a lot of water for the full 3 days we were there. It did not rain for the last 2 days. We went to the main dock a few times...because there wasn't much else to do. There was a dog poop bag sitting on the dock for at least 2 days.
We understand that the weather is out of their control and that rain and cool days is not their fault. But where I do hold them responsible is telling me things that weren't really the reality. We expected dogs running around and having contact with each other, but I could assure you in the 3 days we were there, my dog did not even come close to another dog.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mike5569
BirgitSchulze, Owner at Domaine Summum, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Mike5569
I must say I find it very disappointing to have read your note, taking into consideration that when you left, we spoke for approximately 15 minutes and I answered all your questions.
If you had any questions,concerns disappointments .. all you had to do was speak to my associate. She had seen you a few times and spoke to you briefly and you did not speak to her about any of these issues
We also told you upon check in if you had any problems or questions to please feel free to come up to the main house.

When someone calls on the telephone and specifically asks the question are they by themselves, myself or my associate give the explanation that there are two cottages with a lobby in-between, yet if they would like to keep to
them selves and not socialize, they can do so by using their private door therefore they do not need to socialize. The cottage that you occupied was closer to the woods, you could have moved barbecue, chairs etc, ( as we mentioned to you)
and you did not need to have contact with the other people.

People come to Domaine Summum to relax, have quiet times, and fun, if all dogs could run free everywhere there would be no control, and there would be poop everywhere, therefore I ask that walking around buildings the dogs are on leash, yet when
you are in the trails, or in the water they are can be free. Also cars are coming and going dropping of their dogs to day camp/boarding etc ..we would hate for any dog to get hurt by a passing car. When we explained to you about keeping the dogs on
leash when you are around the main house where my 8 bernese live with me, we tried to crack a joke in saying that the dogs would be jealous because they could not go out to play. As we explained to you all the dogs can be off-leash at your cabin and through out the trails.
Your neighbour that weekend had their 2 dogs loose on several occasions .. I know this because they came to greet me when I delivered firewood and when I saw them sitting outside their Cabin.
Your Neighbours, as well as the couple in the Grande Cabin were out with their dogs free on the trails that weekend .. I had seen and talked to them many times. As well we often take our Bernese out to socialize with the guests and we take out the some of the dogs that are boarding
when the have the Bark& Splash package and all are off leash

You signed a document which everyone signs which states you are responsible for any damages by either yourself or your dog, and outlines to please keep your dog on leash (ONLY around buildings), I believe in life there have to be some rules otherwise it would be a free for all and
accidents could happen!

Yes when you called I told you had a fire pit ... We always had 2 fire pits in the back area .. however we found people wanted to gather around together with their dogs and socialize with their neighbours , and let me add ..you did have the fire pit to yourselves, we also left wood for you, free of charge.
In order for you to have a fire-pit by yourselves, your neighbour came to get one from the cottage suites, in order not to disturb you.

When it came to necessities ie. kleenex, scott towels sugar etc, I did explain to you the reason they are not put in the cottages, yet had you come to me and let me know during your stay, I would have given you what was missing......the sugar was a complete oversite.
Again when it came to not finding the hydro trail we would have been more then happy to show you the way, again you just had to ask.
No one has mentioned that the trails are short, one can walk for hours, all was explained where the trails were, if you could not find them, again you just had to ask us.

Your comment on the sheets, let me say that they were queen, normally the people who stay here love the them, flannel being more comfortable when it is cold or rainy, they are not old and they are cleaned professionally, may I add you helped yourself to new sheets.......

You are right, the fire place made a noise and we have been waiting for the part to arrive , please understand it is summer, and normally people do not use the electric fireplace in July .Had you told us you needed to dry out your shoes , we would have found an alternative.

In regards to beaches, unfortunetely we do not have wonderful sand beaches as in the south, we are in the Laurentians, our lake is 50 feet at the deepest point, spring fed, wonderfull for swimming for both people and dogs. The private beach is used for doing bark and splash packages
for the kennel, and until all this rain this summer had a small but sandy area ...if you would have said something I would have told you that if it is not busy by all means enjoy it. Sadly the weekend you were here it was a near washout....so much rain ( I also exlplained this to you when you left),
you are right, the paddleboats, canoe, rowboat were full, when it finally cleared we did empty them. I pride myself on how clean Domaine Summum is, it is rare that one finds dog poop anywhere, as it is asked that all dog owners pick up their dog's poop, sometimes this is not done, so we the
staff pick it up!

We at Domaine Summum hide nothing, the pictures on the website are what you will find when you get here, we offer special packages for your pooch ! There are so few places that accept dogs with no restrictions .. you can leave your dog alone in your cottage here, they can play in the water, they can get
into the boats, they can be off leash throughout the trails , we have no breed or size restrictions Everything that is shown and offered, on our website, we do !!
Look at the pictures of the different people with their dogs and me in it. ..we all had fun, yet we did not have 3 days of bad weather Check out our facebook page and you will see pics and videos of past guests enjoying their time here.
Again if you would have come to me and mentioned that your dog would love to play with my dogs, I would have brought some out, which I do many a time with guests.

In anything communication is key .. I can not read your mind and I can not help you if you do not speak to me about what you need...or what perhaps we missed.
We want our guests to have a great time here .. we are a small family run business and we love meeting new people and we love what we do .. and we will bend over backwards to make all our guests happy and enjoy their time here,
but you need to tell us want you need while you are here .. not after you leave .

Birgit,