“Mont Tremblant is hit or miss depending on crowds...” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Helicopter Tour Over Mont-Tremblant
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: North of Montreal, this wonderful resort offers some of the best skiing in eastern North America. Come and enjoy a unique four-season global destination and its many attractions and live an exhilarating experience at the heart of the pedestrian village.
Whitby, Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Mont Tremblant is hit or miss depending on crowds...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

We've been doing a guys ski trip for 4 days (Sun - Thur) in late Feb every year to Mont Tremblant for about 5 years now. The weather is incredibley inconsistent, be prepared for everything and of course it is famous for being extremely cold, I still shiver when I think of some of the cold we've exprerienced there. The accomodations are top notch but you certainly pay for them. Since Mont Tremblant considers itself a top desitination it charges accordingly. You'll be hard pressed to find any deals so be prepared to open your wallet wide, lol. One big benefit is that you can use your Air Miles to buy lift tickets which can save you a bundle. Avoid weekends if you can, the lift lines are hellish but if you hit a weekday with good weather it is awesome. Unfortunately they mispresent ski conditions terribly so you won't know till you get there what it's really like. Many people I know consider Mont Tremblant to be in a desert with very little natural snow fall, it's all mostly made from the nearby lake which they drain during the winter. It's reasonably close, I get lift tickets for free, and a deal on accommodations through a friend so we keep going back every year.

Visited February 2010

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Petawawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Skiing is OK, but terribly overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

We spent 9 days at Tremblant in January 2011 and I was fairly disappointed after all the good reports I'd heard. The first point is minor, but it rankles with me: it's NOT a mountain. At around 870m it only qualifies as a hill. This may seem petty, but being so small means that runs from top to bottom just aren't that long. It also means that conditions can be sketchy. A short warm spell can quickly ruin the slopes.

Slopes -
The runs are ok, but nothing special. There is not a huge amount of variation but just enough to keep you occupied for a weekend, no more. For beginners or skiers with low confidence, I would recommend trying somewhere else. While there are a couple of nice, long-ish green runs, they will only amuse you for half a day at best - you'll be bored very quickly.
Because snow is not that reliable, Tremblant relies heavily on artificial snow makers. Their machines are the simple external mixing guns so tend to produce ice crystals which means harsher snow that is more grippy and strips the wax from your skis much faster. This also means that it takes a long time for all the slopes to open. As of 09 Jan there were still only about half of the trails open. This is frustrating when you're riding the gondola and can see closed slopes with rows of snow cannons that just aren't doing anything. I can only assume that the resort can't afford or doesn't have the power to run all their cannons at once, so they end up concentrating their efforts on keeping snow on the handful of open runs rather than building a base on new ones. For example, the Zig Zag run was closed the day we arrived. It has permanent snow cannons along its entire length, yet none of them were operating until the day we left - 9 days later.
The grooming is hit and miss. The Taschereau trail was opened towards the end of our stay, but it had a series of 10ft mounds of artificial snow all over it, obviously ready to be groomed. Yet it remained in that state for 3 days until we left, not really skiable but with no effort made to get it groomed and properly opened. I can't imagine why, unless they didn't have the staff or the grooming machines available.
Most of the runs were very icy. Over the course of our stay none of the ice was broken up and groomed over with fresh artificial snow. If anything, the ice patches got bigger. Expo was pretty hard work when we first skied it, and it got harder. After 5 days it was closed - we assumed they would build up some artificial snow, break up the ice and re-groom it. But nothing happened. It was just left in bad condition and reopened as icy as ever.
Finally, too many of the trails were sketchy in the extreme. About 40% of the trails were open when we arrived, it was up to around 55% when we left, but most of the newly opened trails were in a terrible state with bare patches, ice patches and rocks. The management seemed to think it was ok to open a dodgy trail and just put a sign up saying "expert skiers only". I'm a pretty good skier and I like to ski difficult trails, but I am not interested in scratching my skis and denting edges on easy runs with rocks all over them. That's not for 'expert' skiers, that's for idiots who have rental equipment and don't care how much damage they do to it.

Lifts-
Lifts are not the slowest in the world, but they're not that fast and really need updating. Lines get pretty long and add to the frustration. On average we'd wait 15-20 mins for the gondola lift, take 6-7 mins up to the top for a 4m 50s ski back down to the bottom, and that's taking a fairly indirect route down. Using the black and double black runs you can be at the bottom in under 4mins easily. Not impressed at all.

Prices-
A day ticket costs about $87 after taxes. They advertise lifts opening at 0745, but when you turn up you discover that a regular ticket only gets you on at 0830, an extra $25 is required to get on early. Seriously? $112 for the privilege of skiing from 0745 to 1530? That is not good value for money in any circumstances. I mean, a day ticket at Aspen is cheaper than that. Yes, I know you can get cheaper tickets through membership of certain ski clubs or through hotel bookings, but it is still too expensive. I got my tickets for $52 through my ski club, but that is still a few dollars more expensive than lift passes at Serre Chevalier in France, which is about 3 times bigger and a couple of thousand metres higher.
As I mentioned earlier, less than 50% of the trails and about 2/3 of the lifts were open when we arrived. Yet lift passes were still full price. That really irritated me. How can it be justifiable to charge full price when you can only offer half the fun? Added to which the trails were all in poor or average conditions due to a two day warm spell and rain that had ruined much of the snow. And when I saw that the small number of slopes available to ski are reduced further by entire runs being closed for ski race training, I just lost my temper with the whole place. I don't mind ski racers, I used to race myself, but I really would expect some kind of discount for so much of the hill being unusable.

Overall, an over-priced, pretentious, lackluster and thoroughly disappointing ski resort. The only way you'll be impressed by Tremblant is if you have only ever skied on the other small hills in Quebec and Ontario, and even then, places like Mont St Marie are far better value and the skiing is just as good (or average). If you're thinking about travelling a long distance to get here - don't bother. Europeans, stay in Europe because all the skiing there is better and cheaper. Americans, go to a north eastern USA resort, or fly to the much, much better resorts on the north west side of the continent. This is only worth a visit if you're only going to be driving a couple of hours and are able to get your lift tickets cheaply through a club or agent.

Visited January 2011
9 Thank Jon8798
Sudbury, Canada
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“If not for the crowds, it would have been perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2011

We were snowboarding at Tremblant for 3 full days between Dec 27-Dec 29th. The weather the first day as bone-chilling cold, probably around -30 on the summit with 40-50km gusts of wind. Having said that, it did keep a certain amount of the holiday crowd off the hill and allow us to explore for our first time. Towards the end of the day it was getting quite icy with the combination of high winds and number of skiers so we had to quit at about 2 PM.

The 2nd and 3rd days were much better weather-wise, with temps at the summit of about -15 at most, but consequently we got hammered with the holiday crowds. Couple that along with the Duncan lift being down on the North side and it was quite an adventure.

The hill itself is great, I loved the layout. The layout is more ski-friendly than snowboarder friendly as there are a lot of flat spots where you might have to unstrap unless you carry a lot of speed to the area. Nansen Bas and Mi-chemin come to mind on the south side in particular. Our favorite run was certainly P'tit Bonheur on the north side, it was an excellent, long and cruisey green run that was a blast and went from top to bottom.

The north side is quite a bit quieter than the south side and we oftentimes tried to concentrate and stay on that side. It does seem to be a bit more advanced though, especially at The Edge. Speaking of the edge, if you can get down the black diamond run Action in one piece (3 foot powdery moguls gave the 3 of us snowboarders trouble), you'll find some great tree glade skiing with Reaction and Emotion. Too bad they are both fed by some gnarly double blacks and blacks or we would have been in there the whole time.

I can't review the Soleil side due to it being closed when we were there but I heard Tobogan is a very nice run until the very end when it gets narrow and a bit steeper.

The village is great, with a 6 person (really 5 person) cabriolet that takes you from the parking lot/chalet area to the base of the mountain. Lots of shops, restaurants and the ski school are up there. We ate at Casey's and Smokie's Poutinery and both weregood, if not a bit on the expensive side, which of course you expect on-mountain.

We stayed in the old village at the Auberge Porte Rouge, which we all thoroughly enjoyed (I'll be reviewing that later). You can shop at the Boni Choix in the old village but I would get groceries in Saint Jovite which is 10 minutes south as you'll be driving right by there anyway. The prices are more normal in St Jovite but you'll mostly get french speakers instead of bilingual like at the hill or old village, so be aware.

I would definitely go back to Tremblant as the hill has a lot to offer, but with our schedules we are locked down to Christmas Break and March Break, so we always get nailed with the crowds. I think this would be an excellent place to visit if you could get in here in a quiet time when the whole hill is open.

Dress in layers when you come to Tremblant, we would have been unable to stay on the hill that first day at all if not for substantial layering + goggles + face masks.

If the top to bottom lifts are super busy (Gondola on south and Duncan on north), don't hesitate to do loops to the halfway points of both hills. Ex: Do P'tit Bonheur to Lowell Thomas lift on North side, then hit the south side and go down Nansen Upper to Mi Chemin and jump on the TGV and repeat. Also, if all else fails and you're on the north side, head to The Edge lift and take it up...you can take a green run on the south side from that lift called Bon Vivant. A lot of people forget about this capability.

One huge complaint of a friend of mine's was the utter lack of a decent beginner area. The equilibrium "run" was a complete disaster in the 3 days we were there. It was completely jammed with instructors and beginners and was impossible to learn on, in my opinion. Our newbie friend didn't have nearly the time we did. The beginner areas are much better at much smaller resorts like Blue Mountain and even Horseshoe Valley and Moonstone. Blue probably has the best beginner area in my opinion, Tremblant's was BRUTALLY small and inadequate, be aware, especially with crowds!

Visited December 2010
1 Thank Jarvis777
Pensacola, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“We love Mont Tremblant Resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2010

My husband and I just returned to Florida from our first visit to Canada. It was a wonderful experience, start to finish! We stayed in a terrific condo at Club Intrawest. The staff was wonderful, the food was good and the shops were fun. My husband snowboarded and really enjoyed the slopes. Our trip ended just before the holiday season rush, so he did not have to wait in line for lifts and we never had to wait to be seated at a restaurant. We went dog sledding with Expedition Wolf and also went on the 1.5 hour snowmobile tour. They were both a blast! We booked both trips through the Activity Center in the pedestrian village.
Suggestions
1. If you stay at Club Intrawest or any resort that isn't in the pedestrian village, definitely rent a car.
2. If it is sunny on the day you go dog sledding, bring sunglasses!
3. If you need ski or snowboarding gear or warm clothing, visit the Salomon Boutique in the pedestrian village. Marc Andre is extremely knowledgeable and helpful!

1 Thank gocoed
Montreal, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“AMAZING and WONDERFUL place to visit!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2010

Mont-Tremblant resort is just fantastic. My wife and I visited the resort on a cold and wintery day in December 2010 and we had a great time. The place is just beautiful. We had a great time walking around and enjoying the beautiful shops, restaurants, and other buildings found at the resort. I took a whole bunch of pictures. It reminds me of a small quaint village somewhere in Europe, perhaps France or Switzerland. We took the ski lift to the top of the mountain and enjoyed the spectacular view - just amazing. My wife and I are not skiiers - we just went to enjoy the scenery. Skiing must be even better. We enjoyed a nice lunch of chicken and steak at Casey's restaurant and boy what is good. Very good service and good food. All in all, we had a fantastic time and would certainly recommend this place HIGHLY.