“Nice set up, but quality of food needs upgrade...”
Review of Cafe Guacamole Y Salsas - CLOSED

Cafe Guacamole Y Salsas
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Description: Fun authentic Mexican food in a cute little family-run establishment. Located in an open plaza on St-Jovite street.
Mont-Tremblant
“Nice set up, but quality of food needs upgrade...”
Reviewed May 20, 2011

the location is kind of nice, as it's nicely niched into the middle of le petit hameau, we really like the set-up, You really feel into a litttle mexican typical restaurant, but Mexican food will always be mexican food (Spicy but missing delicatesse,,,,)

The tomatoes should be tasty, these were'nt, they were'nt ready to be served, they looked pinky like Savoura, not garden grown....Salad was missing dressing of some kind, the soup was ok, but did'nt really wowed us.

Server was very friendly & nice with us, quick on serving too. So there's defineltely improvement from my last visit a year ago (I beleive they changed management recently) but there's still a lot to do in the kitchen, It's my third time & I've visited mexico more than ten times from the basic street joints to the finest (not all inclusive) mexican best cuisine they have to offer....

So I'ts Ok, you should try it, but don't get you're hopes too high, that's all.

• Visited May 2011

Ottawa, Canada
“Don't miss this gem!! Best Mexican food of my life!!!!”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I hardly know where to start. Fresh, delicious, unforgettable.

First, it's set back a little off Rue St. Jovite, but worth the VERY short walk behind the storefronts and under the little pagoda. You will NOT regret it!!

This is a family-run, authentic Mexican restaurant. In the past, I have always wondered how the Mexicans eat Mexican food every day -- I was used to a lot of frying, a lot of heavy food. I thought it to be nice, but too overwhelming to eat daily. But now that I have had the real thing, I'd eat it every meal, every day, with great pleasure!

The host is Arioro Lopez. He grew up in Oaxaca, Mexico and came here with his family in 2010, (including his brother, an excellent cook who came out to say hi after we started eating his amazing creations!)

We started with guacamole -- so delicious and fresh! Then I ordered the Tacos al Pastor -- marinated pork tacos with achiote flower, pineapple, fresh coriander and onions. I'm sure the taco tortillas were homemade -- somewhat soft and a bit sweet. Amazing. Not too heavy, but still substantial. Tasted homemade.

My husband had the Huarache de Chorizo. It was a thick corn tortilla garnished with black beans, crumbled chorizo sausage, salsa, sour cream and fresh cheese crumbled on top. Also incredible.

We shared a piece of cake for dessert -- light and not too sweet. I can't remember the name, but apparently it's a Mexican type of cake.

And of course, we had two Mexican beers with our food. A perfect pairing.

The only thing I would have changed was the condition of the menus -- obviously homemade, but perfectly acceptable. Kind of charming, really.

The only thing that wasn't authentic Mexican was the coffee (a Quebec brand), but the owner said he was going to start getting Mexican beans that he will grind in the restaurant. (The coffee was mediocre, but most restaurants' coffee is.)

On Saturday nights in the summer, they have lovely tables outside and a three-piece band. People have been known to get up and dance. It's a piece of Mexico, like being a resort, without the resort prices.

Want to try a simple but lovely restaurant you'll be raving about to your friends? Try this one. I can't imagine a better way to end the day. I just wish I lived closer.

• Visited April 2011
Ottawa, Canada
“Fun, authentic and reasonably priced”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We dined here on New Year's eve, and had a great time. This is a very casual place with fresh, delicious and very authentic Mexican food. For a resort town, we were impressed with the reasonable prices. The service was quick and very friendly.

• Visited December 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
“Authentic Mexican food in Tremblant!”
Reviewed December 29, 2010

This place is a rare gem. The freshly made three kinds of salsa when you sit down and homemade chips is treat enough, but then the chorizo (mexican sausage) nachos are devine. We moved on to margaritas and authentic hand rolled tamales along with beef alambres for our entrees and loved every minute of it. I can't recommend this place enough, we'll definitely tell everyone we know about this jewel.

Montreal, Canada
“Great real mexican food! De la bouffe mexicaine authentique!”
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Mexican family owned and operated. Located in an open plaza on St-Jovite street, you won't see it from the street because of the shops. Weather permitting you can eat outside. The salsa verde that came with the home made tostitos was just great. We sampled different dishes offered on the daily menu that were all enjoyable. Look out for the doorstopper.
Un bon resto pour un lunch plus que satisfaisant en qualité saveurs et volume.