“Fantastic food and (believe it or not) kid-friendly!”
Review of Coco Pazzo

Coco Pazzo
Reserve with OpenTable
Coco Pazzo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 156 Restaurants in Mont Tremblant
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are an Italian Restaurant on one side of the building and an Italian Take-Out Shop on the other side of our business. The store opens everyday at 11am, and the restaurant opens every evening at 5pm. We have been open since 1995! Enjoy dining in our restaurant with fine Italian food, or take-out from our store to your condo, office, meeting or hike up the mountain. Everything is home made, and when possible locally-sourced and/or organic or naturally raised. We have a gluten-free menu and always have vegetarian options.
Reviewed October 22, 2008

My husband and I took our 3 young children to Quebec this summer for a family vacation. After spending time in Montreal, we were looking forward to the tranquility of Mont Tremblant. Even though our children range in age from 3 to 6 years old, we love local cuisine and try to avoid typical "family" restaurants. Having said that, not every establishment welcomes young kids, even though ours know how to behave in public.

From the moment we entered the restaurant, we were pleasantly surprised by the server's welcoming attitude. Usually wait staff start by assuming our children are going to tear apart the restaurant, but at Coco Pazzo the kids were treated like valued customers. When our menus were handed out, the waiter gave a number of food suggestions for the kids - creative, healthy choices, not chicken fingers!

The menu had an excellent selection of dishes that incorporated local Quebec cuisine. My husband and I both had roast chicken, which was outstanding. The kids gobbled up their pasta, and the kitchen even snuck in some carrots and green beans!

Maybe it was a slow night (the restaurant was about two-thirds full), but the chef (and owner I believe) even came out to introduce himself and check on our meals. He was a great guy, and he took the time to recommend other restaurants and things to do in Mont Tremblant.

Anyway, I don't usually write reviews on this site, but I wanted to compliment Coco Pazzo in a meaningful way. I meant to be more timely, but I have 3 kids, so it took me 3 months. Thanks for the great service and delicious food!

There are newer reviews for Coco Pazzo

Reviewed October 20, 2008

My wife and I just spent the thanksgiving weekend at Mont Tremblant. Living in Calgary where all the leaves turn just one color (yellow), the variety of colors in the hills as we drove up from Montreal was amazing. We often use TripAdvisor to find good places to eat, but we don't normally write reviews on site. However on the Friday night we ate at Coco Pazzo and had such a great experience we thought we would write a review.

We arrived about 7:30 without a reservations and the place was packed, but they still managed to fit the two of us in quickly. We shared a carpaccio which was really good. In Calgary we get a lot of game meat at restaurants, and this elk had a great flavour. My wife then had the Ling Pescatore and I had the Penne Trapanese, both of which had nice sauces, but what got our attention was the pasta. My wife's mother is Italian, and so we have pretty high standards when it comes to pasta, and the penne tasted just like her moms. It had that thick, rich flavour of real home made pasta, and is worth the trip by itself.

Even though the restaurant was full we had a really cheerful waitress, who really knew the wine list and was able to suggest a fantastic bottle of Merlot from Tuscany (Ill Tosoro) which really added to the meal.

It was great experience overall, with the home made pasta ranking as some of the best we have had (with apologies to my mother-in-law)

Reviewed October 6, 2008

We went to the Coco Pazzo to celebrate a 50th wedding anniversary. One member of our party of 10 had read favourable reviews, so we were all looking forward to a very good, if not excellent, meal.

Coco Pazzo is located in the very picturesque ski village of Mont Tremblant. The restaurant is attractively decorated, although the tiled floors and abundance of hard surfaces plus over-loud music made conversation impossible with anyone not immediately adjacent. Voices from a loud party in the mezzanine upstairs seemed especially grating and intrusive.

We made our reservations for 7:00 P.M., and although we arrived on time our table wasn't ready. Apparently the restaurant had recorded our reservation as 7:30, despite the fact that the member of our party who had made the reservation had a printed e-mail confirmation received from Coco Pazzo, clearly showing the time as 7:00. Nevertheless, we were ushered into the small bar -- standing room only -- to wait, about 15 minutes. That's not terribly long, but not a promising start, either.

The menu -- mine took an extra few minutes to arrive, as apparently there weren't enough to go around -- contained a few paragraphs on its first page stating that the chef favoured sustainable, locally grown food, with some select products imported from Italy. The menu is quite small, which in my experience is usually a good sign.

Everyone in our party agreed that the bread placed on the table was excellent. For an appetizer, I ordered mixed olives, which turned out to be a dish (with a little covered area for depositing the pits) of 40 or so olives of three types. The olives were fine as far as olives go, but I thought they lacked pizzazz -- perhaps some of the olives could have been spiced.

For my "secondi" I ordered Cavatelli pasta with Italian sausage. The pasta was obviously freshly made and was cooked perfectly. The Italian sausage and accompanying sauce were a little on the bland side for my taste. Unfortunately, the dish contained an overabundance of surprisingly bitter spinach, cut in large pieces that clumped together in a green, soggy mess. The inclusion of the spinach was a bold stroke on the chef's part, but to my taste it could have been cut into much smaller pieces and reduced in quantity by about 75%.

During dinner, a member of a large party seated next to us accidentally knocked over an ice bucket. The waiter was serving the wine at the time so no glass was broken, but the accident sloshed ice-cold water over the feet of several members of our party, including one of the guests of honour. The waiter seemed unsure of what to do, so a minute or two elapsed before any action was taken. He returned with a mop and a few extra napkins, then when most of the mess was cleaned up he quietly
apologized. Although the restaurant was not at fault (though perhaps the ice bucket could have been better placed), I would have expected the manger to make sure no one had been injured, or at least that we were comfortable.

My wife and daughter both ordered Risotto alla Tina. My daughter said that some of the rice was hard, as though it hadn't been fully cooked, and my wife thought the dish was overwhelmed by the flavour of very sharp cheese. Neither were eating their entrees with much enthusiasm, but the eating stopped entirely when my daughter found a long, black hair in the risotto. She pulled it out and left it on a plate, encrusted with rice. When the waiter was alerted, he inspected the hair carefully (perhaps looking for evidence that we had planted the hair ourselves), then without a word, he took away my daughter's and wife's dishes -- no more than one quarter consumed. After a few minutes, the waiter told the member of our party who had made the reservations, seated at the far end of the table from us, that the charge for my daughter's dish would be removed from the bill. No apology was offered, nor was any replacement meal made available.

I'm willing to accept that, unappetizing and unsanitary as it may be, a hair might accidentally find its way into food served at a restaurant, no matter how clean the restaurant may be or how hard the staff work to keep the food free of foreign objects. As far as I know, this might be the first time a hair was found in food in Coco Pazzo's history. I'll give Coco Pazzo the benefit of the doubt and assume its kitchen is as clean as an operating theatre. I won't judge the restaurant on the basis of that one hair. What I will judge it on, however, is the way the staff and management reacted, which was utterly underwhelming. I would have expected the manager of a restaurant that cared at all about its reputation to make a sincere apology, and perhaps make a goodwill offer, such as a free bottle of wine or free desserts. I've received similar goodwill offerings from far less expensive restaurants for far less serious problems. But not a single word of apology was offered to my daughter. The gesture the restaurant did make -- removing the cost of a dish from which only four or five bites were taken -- was so minimal as to be almost insulting.

Dessert menus were not presented after the dishes were cleared, so I assume it was obvious no one in our party had the appetite for any more of Coco Pazzo's food.

To be fair, about half of our party of 10 enjoyed their meals very much. In particular, the chicken, fish, and osso bucco dishes were highly regarded.

With wine and taxes, the cost of each meal came to about $80 per person. At that price, I expect far more involvement and attention from the management over the comfort and happiness of the guests. When the hair was found, we were more or less abandoned, as though the restaurant decided that there was no possibility of salvaging our evening. This was, after all, a special night, a 50th wedding anniversary, a fact that had been made clear when the reservation was placed.

There are plenty of restaurants in the Mont Tremblant area. I would have to recommend that anyone seeking a good dining experience try any of the others.

1  Thank philFromOttawa
Reviewed September 8, 2008

Your visit to Mont Tremblant is not complete if you don't plan to have at least one meal at our favourite spot on the hill. I have eaten here many times over the years and each meal has been memorable. From the fresh homemade pasta, lamb and seafood the ony difficulty is deciding what to order. This weekend I finally had the Cheese Truffles and want to go back again soon just to have them again- Yum. The tasy and creative risottos are also worthy of a visit too.

Coco Pazzo has also recently been recognized by WIne Spectator for having a top wine cellar.

If you are staying in a condo or chalet the restaurant also has a shop where you can pick up meals, pannis and other treats.

Reviewed September 2, 2008

We have eaten here both in summer and in winter (we are locals) and find the quality of the food to be superb. Wonderful appetizers, delicious main courses, and always-perfect risotto (my personal favorite). The food is presented in a lovely manner and the service is always great. It can get a little loud at times, especially in the very busy season, but there are options--main floor, mezzanine and outside at certain times. Clearly our favorite restaurant in Tremblant.