“splendid setting”
Review of Manoir Hovey

Manoir Hovey
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Hatley
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We went to Quebec in search of autumn and we found it.
Bravo Mother Nature! Manoir Hovey is a lovely setting in a rustic and quiet location. The property is generally well maintained and the staff courteous.

Our room #9 was said to have a "forest view". Well, that and the driveway. The room was small and cramped with a just adequate bathroom. Towel bars please! It was not impressive.

We enjoyed a nice dinner in the dining room; however, the breakfast was one of the finest I've experienced in my many travels. One might order a breakfast entre' as well as choose from a lovely buffet. The dining room staff, too, was courteous and efficient. As a Californian who frequently enjoys sojourns in Big Sur, the formality of MH was not my cup of tea! But thanks to tripadvisor, we knew the score! It just seems a bit pretentious, though "chacun a son fou", right!?
FYI - They do honor a AAA rate on the room portion, (as I forgot to mention in my critique of Montreal's Auberge Bonapart).

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shi Hu

Reviewed August 24, 2008

We had stayed at the Hovey Manoir 4 years in a row. This year sadly, we decided to stay at another inn in VT, that was closer to our home because of time constraints. Next summer however, time constraints or not, we will be surely returning to the Hovey Manoir. The Inn in VT which was highly rated, did not hold a candle to our favorite "over the border" getaway spot. This establishment is top notch, with incredible service, graciousness, and just the right touch of privacy. They make you feel like a very important person. We have always stayed in a deluxe lakeside room in the carriage house with a balcony, and really love to sit on our deck watching the beautiful lake, the stunning gardens and just waiting for dinner time to arrive. The food and the service in the dining room has been very consistent over the years, and we love to save room for the cheese course at the end. The breakfast is also wonderful and enough good food to stave off lunch. We enjoy the tennis court, the pool, is really nice, biking to town, hanging out on the dock, taking a dip in the beautiful lake. It would be really nice to come here in the winter and have a lovely fire, and relaxing time after skiing. I can't say enough about this place, it's so special, it's lovely, and well worth the price.
The Eastern Township area surrounding it, is home to some good wineries and the famous St. Benoit du Lac monastery. You can buy cheeses and the Manor will refrigerate anything for you. This place is so accomodating. We've never been treated so well! Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank skinnyshubie
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Our recent stay at Hovey Manor was heavenly. Member of the Relais et Chateaux network, this country inn combined the best of all experiences one can have when staying away from home. Evident from the first minute of our arrival was the impeccable service. Despite the fact that we took the cheapest room ($300/night for 2, including service, gourmet breakfast spread and four-course dinner), we were treated like royalty the whole way: an unusual and uplifting experience! Even though it rained of and on during our 3-day stay, the water in the lake (27degrees) and the pool (30) made it possible to enjoy swimming whenever we wanted (they even opened the pool at my request after dinner on the first night at about 10.30 for my last swim!). The kayaking was dreamy, the afternoon tea (extra) was exquisite and the barman very amusing! Lunch (extra) was topnotch but reasonably priced. There are so many little nooks and crannies to sit and read, relax, play a game or have a quiet drink together or alone. I could go on but won't! A true value, which I doubt one could match pricewise in other R and C properties, especially abroad.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rynt
Reviewed July 20, 2008

We arrived at this beautiful property on a sunny summer day and enjoyed the stunning grounds and our balcony overlooking the lake.
The setting and the service (front desk, bellman, dining room, poolside) were all excellent and thoughtful. Questions by receptions were answered with pleasure and pride, maps drawn, and weather forecasts predicted. The gardens were vibrant and my photos do not do them justice. The only negatives: the room was a bit shabby, but more importantly the bed was impossibly hard, which is inexcusable in this day when even low end hotels have plush mattresses, I really expected more from a Relais and Chateaux property. Although the espresso machine was wonderful, a mini bar in the room would also be greatly appreciated for those late night cravings. The jacuzzi tub and the housekeeping staff were excellent, and complimentary computer access was appreciated. I loved the pub for pre-dinner cocktails and I thought the meals in the dining room were really fantastic and well-paced (great cheese cart!). Unfortunately, notwithstanding the hotel's policy of requiring business casual in the dining room (with jackets strongly recommended), which policy was also emphasized at check-in and in the hotel services guide, the restaurant still allowed guests to dine in t-shirts and tennis shoes, which cheapened the overall experience. The hotel either needs to enforce its stated policy (yes, that means turning innappropriately dressed diners away) or give up on it altogether so guests expecting an elegant dining experience as promised are not unpleasantly surprised. I also would llike to note that unlike one of the prior posters, when I requested the (small) AAA discount at checkout, it was granted with pleasure and no problems. I would love to return to this hotel in the winter for a cozy and snowy retreat, but I hope the standards this classic hotel has set out for itself will be enforced for all to enjoy.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KikiNY
Reviewed June 22, 2008

My family stayed here for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. My parents and my sister's family had both stayed here in the past with varying success. My brother's family and mine had never stayed here before. My sister had arranged flowers to be waiting in their room and corsages for their special night. My parents had arranged for a large table to be set up for their anniversary dinner.

Positives- our room was gorgeous, number 43. It was large, well-appointed with a beautiful double jacuzzi bathtub.It was a quiet and comfortable room. The grounds are lovely. The flowers were all in the bloom. Everything was neat and clean.

Negatives-no elevators. We were on the third floor. The flowers and corsages were delivered without any indication that the hotel themselves did not send them. The hotel did not make any attempt to put us together for meals when we had individual tables. The service at the group table was miserably slow. My parents ordered two bottles of wine (one red, one white). The restaurant took it upon themselves to get two more bottles. They never asked anyone. The cost for the "included dinner" turned into more than $400 (thanks to high prices and a horrible exchange rate).

We were very frustrated at the dinner menu. It was exactly the same for the three nights we stayed at the Manior. There was no salads and limited vegetables. The breakfast service was much better and there was a daily special. The breads were amazing and the teas very fun.

Overall, we were disappointed at the lack of effort made by the Manior for our parents special day. The dinner service that night was horrible. We were stuck next to another huge table and it was to loud in the room to communicate. I really feel that our inablity to speak French hurt our service in general.

We will not return despite the lovely atmosphere. The prices are far too high not to have more attentive service and a varied menu.

You can get a AAA discount at the Manior Hovey. They do not advertise it in any way and we all had to beg for it at check out..

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank AZGlass
Reviewed May 22, 2008

Hovey Manoir is a serene, picturesque Inn in a quaint lakeside village. We were greeted at the door by welcoming staff who promptly took our bags to our beautifully appointed room. After a trip down the hill to the village we returned to the Manoir to enjoy a glass of wine in comfy chairs beside the lake. Our dinner reservation was for 8pm and while we did arrive promptly at 8 the Maitre' d took a few minutes to seat us. The dining room was busy! The dinner service was not exactly the 5 star service we had expected. Although the food was exceptional the wait was unbelievable and the service disappointing.! We waited 45 minutes for our appetizer and another hour for our main course to arrive! Our waiter seemed to be missing in action most of the time, or peering around the corner from the kitchen. Even though our water glasses were empty for at least 20 min., no one seemed to notice. After asking for a refill not once but twice our waiter finally come around with a water jug. We had more attention from the bus boy then our waiter Gaetan! The guests around us didn't seem to have any better service although the groups of 4 or more may have. Keep this in mind when the guy asking you if you'd like 2nds in bread comes around. Say yes! The breakfast the following morning was a whole different story. Food service was fast and plentiful, delicious! The ladies waiting on us were attentive and kept the fresh coffee flowing. Our stay as a whole was wonderful, the turn down service with the mint chocolates on the pillow, the fluffy robes and the quiet of the Inn make the Inn a 5 star manior! But beware of the less than acceptable evening service!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank travellingirl73
Reviewed December 29, 2007

My husband & I have stayed at both the Manoir Hovey and the Auberge Ripplecove, in, respectively, North Hatley and Ayers' Cliff Canada, on the banks on Lake Massawippi in the Eastern Townships of Canada, repeatedly. The properties are just over the northern borders of Vermont / NY, and owned, I believe, by brothers in the Stafford family. I cannot say enough about how wonderful these two properties are. Both historic, the Manoir Hovey older and more suitable for couples, with one of the most incredibly hospitable maitre d's I have ever met... Norman... and the Auberge Ripplecove more family-oriented, with beautiful suites and one of the best babysitters we have ever had - Lindsay - she is still a family friend. Beautifully manicured properties, great amenities - game rooms, pools, etc on the banks of a sparkling lake with kayaks, canoes, et al; fabulous cuisine rendered from home-grown gardens. Spectacular service. I am almost afraid to review them here; they have been our little secret for over 10 years, and we cannot wait to return.

Stayed: July 2005
#2 of 16 in Sherbrooke
Hotel Le Floral
Hotel Le Floral
#1 of 16 in Sherbrooke

Been to Manoir Hovey? Share your experiences!