Manoir Hovey
  • Restaurant
Motel Le Sabre(Sherbrooke)
  • Pool
1,251 results
All reviewsmain buildingdining roomeastern townshipsbeautiful settingdining experiencelake massawippifine diningwine listthe pubimpeccable serviceluxury roomget awayduckthe wait staffpaddle boardsout of this worldlouise penny
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I've been going to Hovey Manor for a number of years and it just gets better every time. The food is amazing, the rooms serene and comfy, and the staff so attentive. I highly recommend the afternoon tea and scones!

Room Tip: Get a room with a lake view, summer or winter, you won't regret the extra cost.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed here for one night with my teenage Son while we were touring colleges for him. I felt wrapped in comfort and luxury and the hotel was just perfect. The room was spacious and had lots of character with a fireplace and comfortable armchairs. The bathroom was fabulous. The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was sublime. It was instant relaxation after many long drives and college tours the previous few days and a mixture of hotels from the great to the not so great, depending which towns we were visiting. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone in the area wanting a relaxing and indulgent stay. I would love to return with my husband!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I secured two days there as a surprise for my wife for her birthday. When I booked the staff member said I would not be disappointed by the room. The place is right along the lake off the main road so at this time of the year afforded dead silence. The room was a superior one and simply huge, with king bed ,desk and small fireplace which did not emit the typical smell. It was finely decorated and had very high ceilings and huge windows onto the lake. In summer it must be great. The bathroom had jacuzzi and huge shower as double sinks, the largest I have seen. A nice little walk in adjacent to the room completed the place. The Manoir was dead quiet, bed was super. Service was impeccable, polite and timely. It's dining room and library were decorated in rustic fashion. The surroundings are beautiful with rustic Anglo Saxon and Loyalists inspired buildings.
The food was great. If there is one critic on the negative it is the cost of beverages which is too expensive. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Get a view on the lake.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Manoir Hovey is a lovely indulgence, with fabulous dining and comfortable rooms. In warm weather it is nice to select one with a porch or deck for reading and a before dinner drink. I like to get up early and take a kayak out for a before breakfast paddle. The inn may not be first choice for a young crowd looking for night life, but it is perfect for us!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My fiance and i have been looking at properties to hold our upcoming wedding for a while now, and Manoir Hovey had been on our list. We booked two nights on a package that included a Luxury room with a fireplace and balcony, and breakfast on both mornings. We chose not to reveal this to guest services prior to our arrival so as to not receive any differential treatment that would not properly reflect their usual operations. Really wish I had sucked it up and told them beforehand now!

I do think our experience would have been quite different had we been there during the summer. However, during our stay, we were told by the waiter on the first night there were two rooms occupied out of the forty in the hotel (count'em!). We were put in a room at the far, far, far end of the hotel so that it took about 4 minutes to walk from our room to the main dining room, through a chilly connecting bridge and the annex, down the quiet, creaky creepy halls (which were not that fabulous by the way, very worn carpets and a bit tacky looking overall) past dozens of rooms that we knew were perfectly empty. This made it very hard for us to feel welcomed right off the bat, as walking through the hotel literally felt cold. When we arrived in our room, it was evidently a bit musty and dusty, as though it had not been occupied for a while. Of course, at this point, we could have asked for another room. But we didn't, because that's an annoying request and they likely didn't have any rooms 'ready' for guests.

The room itself was fine, a bit stuffy and looked a lot more well suited to fit in a doily filled B&B than any of the more contemporary rooms that we saw online. We really didn't know why we were put in this room, despite the fact that the whole hotel was completely empty. The bathroom was a bit cramped, with the toilet right next to the hot tub. Upon using the tub, several plastic parts flew out of the edge and revealed a very dirty drain. The tub itself seemed old, and was very very loud in operation.

The balcony had a nice view, but was usable in the wintertime as stated by a recent reviewer.

Onto the dining room. We had dinner and breakfast both nights here. The food was quite good overall, but the breakfast was a lot more desirable. Having eaten at great restaurants around the world that have all sorts of designations (I find these highly dubious as indicator of anything more than potential to be good) I would have to say that Le Hatley certainly attempts to appeal to fine dining enthusiasts, but that it mostly executes this through a fussiness that would make anybody roll their eyes on a good day. While I found the taste and portion of my entrees to be adequate, my fiance was pretty grumpy about the lack of appetizing food options on the menu, and by the small and not very tasty portions of his entrees. There was crispy nondescript bits of grain in all our dishes, which were painfully described to us with all the flourish our young (inexperienced) maitre d' could muster up. We could just not be left alone to enjoy ourselves, it seemed, throughout the entire service.

At the end of the service our waiter would sweep crumbs off our table with the same flourish, and then drop the crumbs all over himself while tripping 8 feet away. In fact, he dropped quite a few things leaving our table, which was kind of hard to ignore because the dining room was empty.

The kitchen staff were really rowdy and loud on both nights we were there, perhaps because it was so empty we could really hear them throwing stuff around and yelling at one another.

Breakfast was fabulous, with hot dishes to order and a cold buffet that looked almost like it had been set up just for us. My eggs benedict came on a bed of glazed balsamic vinegar which was kind of unappealing, but the variety of fresh juices and the casual friendly service of the waiter in the morning more than made up for it.

If you enjoy fine dining, as in, well cooked, resourceful, unique food with interesting/beautiful plating and knowledgeable service, you will be very disappointed by the quality and lack of innovation of the food at Le Hatley. However, if you enjoy being fussed over to the point of boredom then you are in for a treat!

Upon checkout, I was surprised to see Jason Stafford, the general manager in the main office. I recognized him from a video we watched introducing the hotel. We had at that point chalked up our lackluster experience to the fact that the manager must have been away for the holidays. Even more of a surprise was that he didn't bother to look up, make eye contact, or bid us farewell and left the checkout duties expressly to a young staff member.

So, then we walked down the slippery path to the parking area and dug our car out of the snow and drove back to Montreal. I'm fairly certain the manor boasted their complimentary snow clearing service on their site, but that totally didn't happen and I assure you there was a few inches of snow on my car. I would also recommend driving extremely carefully in the wintery conditions, as the manor is at the end of an incredibly steep hill that, at the time of our arrival and departure, has not been cleared or salted. My fiance is a longtime driver and outdoor enthusiast and was alarmed by how dangerous that hill was, as it ended on a cliff that had some dubious looking fencing at the end.

Anyway suffice to say that we won't be booking this venue for our wedding. Even for our two night stay it felt like a waste of time and a money grab to tide the property over between low and high seasons. As someone who understands hotel finances, of course, that is the stark reality, but it sure is nice not to feel it to be so painfully evident on the receiving end.

The line between stuffy cloying B&B and luxury country escape is so thin, as those of you who enjoy the latter know how much you despise the former. It's always so surprising when a property manages to actually curate the former to appear as the latter, so kudos to your marketing team for being able to do that. You got us!

It's hard to put into words how disappointed and kind of at a loss we were by our experience here. Perhaps even a bit betrayed by so many gushy reviews on TA. It really was the top contender for wedding venues in terms of ambiance, and proximity to all our guests who live in Quebec, Vermont, New York and Ontario.

Room Tip: You might want to request a room closer to the main area of the hotel. We got segregated to the back of the empty hotel and it pretty much felt like a haunted house. The fact that we knew there was a huge fire in the hotel a while ago didn't help us not think of Jane Eyre.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple