“Started out with mixed feelings ended very happy”

Nova Inn Peace River
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Peace River
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The rooms are extremely comfortable. I stayed at two other Inn's in town before settling here for almost two months. Seeing as this was not a holiday destination for me, the friendly 'indifference' from the front desk staff is probably not a big deal but would have been a plus. Very thin walls, roof and floors. The slightest movement could be heard. I give this a 4/5 because the senior management were outstanding in resolving any issues I have over the two month work related stay. Front desk staff seriously need better training in Emergency Response procedures and just attending to general maintenance. Fireplace in the rooms a very, very nice touch. Very Clean. Very Comfortable when not noisy. (A few of those nights!) Very nicely appointed for the price.

Room Tip: A room on the top floor would help eliminate noise from partying and fighting in the rooms above. Do...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Nova Inn Peace River, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank-you very much for your review.
It is always a pleasure to hear about the positive experiences that our guests enjoy at our properties.
All the best throughout future travels- Mindy Smythe

There are newer reviews for Nova Inn Peace River

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The room itself was nice. The problem was that I left a bag of shopping in the room and then returned almost immediately (after checking out) to pick up my bag of walmart food shopping.
I saw the room cleaners at the front desk (the ones who cleaned my room) and they said that they had thrown away all my food shopping. Then one of them said that there was a half packet of pistacchios left. I asked about the cans and the other food items. They told me it was all gone. When I pressed the matter they finally brought my shopping from their staff room behind reception to me. It was almost all intact and it was still double bagged. I was not impressed that they had ransacked the bag and had poured off or drank an expensive $5 drink. One of the cleaners came into the reception waving the bottle she had emptied and yelled at me.
At no time did anyone apologize. The receptionist just stood by and did not ask the cleaning staff to behave calmly or civilly.
Apparently it is policy to throw out drinks or liquids in the room but I only had one partly drunk item in my shopping bag. I don't get how in a half an hour period they could ransack what was clearly shopping that I had forgotten and would come back to get. They hadn't reported to the front desk (who had my contact details) that I had left any of my property.I know this because I did not leave the hotel itself until 1.30pm and returned around 1.45pm
It is bad enough that when I asked for an extra half hour in my room (as I was feeling sick) and was refused unless I payed a day rate. Then to have my possessions divided up between the two girls who I had given $10 each on exiting my room? Disgraceful really.
Their denial of having my stuff, until I asked for the name of the manager, and then the sudden producing of my "thrown away" shopping? Obviously "damage control". to coverr up grasping dishonest behaviour.
We now have found out that we left our telephone charger behind. Good luck to us ever seeing that again. The receptionist says they don't have it so it's probably in someone's pocket by now.
The sad thing is that the receptionists seem to be nice people. I thought this was supposed to be a good brand of hotel and Nova is a big name.
It's shocking that they treat their clients in such a dishonest manner. Also the cleaning staff should not be screaming at clients in reception and reception should not allow that.
We should have stayed at the Super 8 again or BCMI; at least those places are friendly with good service and honest staff.

Room Tip: DONT STAY HERE. And if you do stay here then don't leave anything in your room. Totally go over...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sara A
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Nova Inn Peace River, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank-you for your review.
We are always shocked to hear reviews of this nature about one of our properties, as we are always striving to ensure that our guests receive the highest levels of customer service and comfort.
I would invite you contact me directly so that I may speak with you further about this situation and hopefully address and rectify your concerns.
Sincerely, Mindy Smythe, Regional Sales Manager, T: 587-336-9531.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is no place for the faint of heart. Mud everywhere, on the luggage cart, front entrance, hallways, elevator. I wondered if the people tracking the mud did the same in their own homes.

My room was clean enough but the heat was unbearable. The register showed 75 degrees farenheit and there wasn't any way to turn it down. I opened the window to air the room out but was hit by the grime of the 24 hour highway traffic. Who knew that every large truck in Canada drove this highway at 2:00 a.m.? It was so noisy, even with the window closed that I ended up putting in earplugs to sleep.

The greatest insult was the fact that the internet was down, had been down for over a week and the desk clerk seemed uninterested in my complaint. I spend the day out marketing and usually have a few hours of work left to do on the computer at night. I know that they likely don't get a lot of business travellers there, but the internet is one of the reasons why I chose specific hotels to stay in.

The final straw was the Fitness Room, it was closed for maintenance.

Breakfast was not interesting at all, everything packaged and limited selections. I wondered if the food that is put out is actually used as breakfast or taken by the workers for lunch. I saw many men taking five or six burritos, fruit and muffins out to their truck and then leave for work.

I won't chose this hotel when I travel to Peace River again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else, this is not the best choice for the money.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank funtraveller_11
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Nova Inn Peace River, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank-you very kindly for your review.
I'm sorry to hear that you had a less than memorable experience, and can certainly understand your frustration with the internet being down. This has been fixed and unfortunately was out of our control.
Please know that we have also noted your other concerns and are working to rectify them immediately as we have very high standards at the hotels which we strive to maintain at all times.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to discuss these concerns further. Sincerely, Mindy Smythe p:(587)-336-9531

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed one night on a trip north, Hotel caters to oilfield workers and truck drivers. Our room was clean but the whole hotel seemed dirty. Too many trucks parked in the lot near our room coming in and starting up at all hours.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Nova Inn Peace River, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Thank-you for your review.
I'm glad to hear that you found your guestroom clean and well kept, and was sorry to hear about the percieved clealiness of the hotel in general.
I would like to assure you that we have taken your concerns seriously and have added a second housekeeping shift on, in order to maintain the cleanliness of those coomon areas in the hotel at all times. Especially during this very busy period.
Thank-you once again for your review. We truly apprceiate it, as we are always striving to meet and exceed our guests expectations. - Mindy Smythe

Reviewed July 27, 2012

I stayed here for a month in March of 2012 for a work related project that was taking place in Peace River. The rooms were average, however the staff was great. The breakfast in the morning is mediocre. There's cereal, milk,fruits, breakfast burritos, and coffee. Overall I would stay here again if i was working out in Peace River, however it's not a place I would want to take my family.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that's not on the side of the bar as it gets quite noisy there at night
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Regi0nalsalesmanager, Regional Sales Manager at Nova Inn Peace River, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Thank-you for your review. It is through feedback such as this that we are able to continue to expand on our customer service and increase our guests comfort.
I am pleased to hear that you had a great experience with our staff and have noted your comments on the breakfast availability. We will certainly look into what other options we can add to it.
Our hotel hosts many families throughout the year and I can also assure you that they receive the same oustanding service and that they are granted a safe environment in which to relax and enjoy the town.
Again, thank-you kindly for your comments. Sincerely, Mindy Smythe

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Fantastic place to stay. The rooms are fairly nice.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed October 13, 2011

several workers filled the nova during the shutdown and am being told for the time being due to a shortage of staff thier rooms can not be cleaned .. but the price still varies between 90 and 140 a night,, One person reported being warned not to complain or could be removed from the hotel,,

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Pomeroy Inn & Suites Grimshaw
Super 8 Peace River AB
Super 8 Peace River AB
#2 of 8 in Peace River

Been to Nova Inn Peace River? Share your experiences!