“Best saucier around!”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This restaurant has it all. Charm and very good food, and friendly service. We especially like the format of either 4, 5, 6 or even 7 course dinners from their table d'hote menu. I had quail on a bed of snow peas served hot with a delectable sauce and my husband had duck foie gras with a chaser of ice cider. Then we had escargots, in a copper pan with mushrooms and another delicious garlic sauce [ not the usual garlic butter]. Then after a sorbet to cleanse the pallet, I had canard a l'orange and my husband had bouillabaise. Presentation as well as tast were excellant. I skipped desert but my husband had creme brule. This has become our favorite restaurant in an area renowned for good restaurants.

There are newer reviews for Restaurant la Chaumiere

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Only visited for lunch but will be back for supper. Service and ambiance was great...as well as the value.

Amazed this is not the #1 rated restaurant in town.

Forgive my lack of french..but I am an American and am still learning.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Snow and blowing snow. Cold wind- mid December temperatures. My wife and I walked into the restaurant without a reservation, early in the evening. We were warmly greeted, and given a table right in front of the two-sided fireplace. The new wing of the restaurant has floor to ceiling windows, looking out on the snowy world. The waitress and the owner both greeted us. The menu is quite varied. We chose the soup of the day ( squash), which was very good. But the best was the main course which we both had- Rack of Lamb, which was done to perfection. Desert was also a highlight with mine being three small pie wedges, each one better than the other.
It was a great meal in a warm cozy setting. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was looking forward to a nice supper at a restaurant that was highly recommended. We were put at a table near a large group (who arrived after us) and they were quite noisy; my feet were also cold from the draft from the front door.
The soup was bland but my meat dish (lamb) was delicious; the potatoes were passable. I was disappointed with the cold creme brulee.
The service was terrible -- so slow. The waitress never came back after serving our meal to ask if everything was alright. We asked for our bill and still waited at least 15 minutes to get it.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Went to this restaurant last night with my sisters and what a disappointment it was! This is low season so perhaps it may have contributed to our experience. To be fair, some of my family found their main dishes quite good, namely the rack of lamb and the scallops. Unfortunately, the rest of the courses did not match up. The service was slow and inattentive. First course, the butternut squash soup had little flavour and was somewhat watery. I can't say much about my main dish since this was the first time that I had ever order "bravette". Too much garlic on my caesar salad - the fumes overwhelmingly permeated the air. When the creme brulee arrived I was hoping for this last course to rescue at least this portion of the meal. Expecting to taste the warm silky smooth creamy custard instead I was greeted with a granular cold pudding interior.

1  Thank MaryA928