“The Disappointments Begin The Moment You Arrive”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sainte Agathe des Monts
Domaine Ste-Agathe Resort
New York City, New York
“The Disappointments Begin The Moment You Arrive”
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We didn't quite expect our Laurentian "chalet" to be tucked a few hundred feet behind the ugly industrial area of Ste. Agathe but we bit our lips and proceeded up the hill to check in. The staff were friendly enough but I was put off when asked to pay for the entire week up front. OK OK relax. Kids and dog are in the car anxiously waiting to unload after a 7 hour drive from NYC. After confirming payment, the office staff presented me with a fake log for the fireplace and sent me on my way to chalet 11. I thought it was odd that it had not been delivered to the room as I made my way back into the car and passed the log over to my wife. We parked in front of the chalet and I brought the first load inside only to be overcome by stale cigarette smoke. I mean it was horrible. I immediately went to the office to complain. I had to physically go to the office because our chalet was not equipped with a telephone. "OH!" said the man, "the clean up crew must have forgot to plug in the air ionizer. I will send them by immediately." This puzzled me. Is it really possible to eliminate the stale smoke with a zap from an ionizer? In a word, NO! It was merely a pacifier to make me think they were doing everything in their power to make things right. We went to the store and and armed ourselves with candles and air deodorizers but nothing could get rid of the smell. I kept complaining and was offered a magical aerosol spray. If we didn't have our small dog with us we would have left but it would have been impossible to find a place last minute that would take a dog, so we stayed. My wife sprayed the dusty plastic plants that seemed to be everywhere, we wiped down the surface of the cabinets, windows, and the cheesy leather sofa but nothing could touch that smell. In our haste to leave on the final day I left a battery charger for our camera in the chalet and emailed the office a few days later. Their response was for me to call one of the maids. I called, and she didn't speak english. Further emails to the office have gone unanswered.

I didn't think places like this existed anymore. Obviously from some of the reviews people seem to like Domaine Ste-Agathe and I won't attempt to dissect the demographic of their normal clientele, only to say that if you value things such as cleanliness, customer service, and integrity you would be well advised to think twice before booking here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank mol63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Montreal
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We rent number 15. 2 rooms the place very clean and very cozy and conftable. The place is amazing. On the room upstaire we move the bed and were able to add another mattress. Very conftable. Things to know in number 15 is there is no stove and there is only 4 chaire only 4 place in sofa but we had prepare ourself we bring some extra chaire. The woods is less expensive there compare depaneur;. i think it was 8$ a bag. The staff was great very nice very friendly and helpfull when we ask questions. The pool is big enough I think it was if I remember more then 12 feet long 5 " 8 wide and 4.8 deep . Relax with the gaz fire place the sauna and the music how can we ask for more. I rent other place and this place was simple but impressive at the same time. Of course if you are looking for 5 stars hotel I would suggest you avoid but if you are looking for a cozy place go for it .

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Melanyev
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 30, 2010

These are fairly simple cabins with some luxury touches. We stayed in a cabin with an outdoor hot tub as opposed to a cabin wiht the indoor pool. the tub was nice but very exposed to the other cabins. it was quite enjoyable in the cold Novemeber evenings though.
The unit itself was well maintained with a full kitchen, flat panel tv, stereo, full bath and a two person tub in the master.
We used the fireplace but be sure to buy some wood since none is provided.
We didn't use the indoor tub due to the low water pressure....it would have taken hours to fill but the pressure was fine for the shower.
I also must comment on the staff. We had originally booked a different date and had to change at the last minute. The management was quite accommodating and allowed us to move our dates without issue.
The location is very close to Ste Agathe and all of the amenities.
We have been to the area many times and this was one of the nicer places execpt for the location which has a bit less privacy than we usually see.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
lasalle, quebec
Reviewed May 3, 2010

You must see this place it is wonderful. We rented one of there chalets for the weekend with a couple of friends and we had a blast. The amenities are all there from comfortable beds to plasma TV's in the living room and the interior pool in the basement. We also had a 8x8 hot tub with sauna out side. So if you want to spend a great weekend we recommend this place to everyone, if you have kids also a great place for them. The grounds outside is fabulous with the main exterior pool and a tennis court.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank boroy
montreal, quebec, canada
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I spent my honeymoon in the Zermatt Chalet #41 of this resort and found it to be clean and well kept up. This is one of the newer chalets and this one in particular is well situated away from other chalets. As per other reviews the staff can get pesky when they just show up at your door to do a chlorine check for the pool and you are in your birthday suit in the tub... The guy just looked through the window to see if we were home and saw me, oh well. I would not recommend going to St-Sauveur or any of the small surrounding towns in October because this is the period when all the leisure activities are either not yet started (winter stuff) or just closed for the season (summer/fall stuff). Go in September to see the lovely foliage and do some of the activities (gondola ride, street luges, canoeing...).
Overall this is a lovely place with nice people (the younger staff are energetic and very kind the older people seem a little... jaded?)

If you have a dog GO TO THIS PLACE! They NEVER once bothered us about our dog and were nothing but obliging and VERY PET FRIENDLY. Also great nearby nature walks to bring your dog on.

This may not be paradise, but for a young couple that want to take it easy with their mutt, it's probably as close as it gets for a reasonable price.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
Reviewed July 4, 2009

My husband and I wanted privacy for our honeymoon so we rented what we thought was an intimate chalet up north. We only had five days and wanted to spend them in peace and isolation with each other...The chalet (#14) had all the amenities, nice hot tub, indoor jacuzzi, big screen tv, dvd, stereo, kitchen etc. It was beautiful and clean on the inside but what we didn't count on was the intrusiveness of the staff.

EVERY single day we were there the staff were on or in the property we rented for one reason or another. The first day they cut the grass...or most of it. Then again on day two, then they came with the weed whacker. Still didn't get all of the lawn. There was a storage "cave" in the basement and we heard people coming and going at all hours of the day and once in the dead of the night while we were sleeping. Kinda creepy. Once to install a window screen....They came on the LAST day we were there to install two citronella torches at the hot tub, one was filthy with resin, and broken to boot, and they didn't bother to fill them up. The balcony was never cleaned and I got all kinds of spider bites.

When we went to the office to tell the manager that we were on our honeymoon and really just wanted to be left in peace, and didn't want anymore unannounced and surprise visits... the response we got was purely argumentative and we were surprised at the attitude, when all we were asking was to be left alone!

We were also surprised by the $99 a night sign that was posted when we paid twice that via internet reservation....and the complete filth that was the outdoor pool...oh and no phone.

So all in all if you are not on a honeymoon or a romantic getaway and don't mind maintenance men wandering around at random when ur trying to take a dip in the hot- tub or get some sun in that new bikini.....go for it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
gatineau
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We just got back today from the most fantastic, relaxing 2 night stay in #41 (The Zermat) and are still on cloud 209!!

The view was abdolutely breathtaking and we could not get enough of the majestic Laurentien Mountains.

the indoor pool was fantastic and huge,the bathroom out of this world,double jacuzzi tub plus fireplace and full kitchen what more could you want. we were in heaven.
we have stayed in MANY HOTELS including fairmont hotels and have never had anything like this.
thanks to Buddy for the comments on#15, we are booked there in august 2009 and are looking forward to it.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
#4 of 4 in Sainte Agathe des Monts
Chalets Lac a la Truite
Chalets Lac a la Truite
#1 of 4 in Sainte Agathe des Monts

Been to Domaine Ste-Agathe Resort? Share your experiences!