“they don't care”

Hotel Le Versailles
Gatineau, Canada
“they don't care”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

I have choosen that hotel because of the heated indoor pool.First the water was cold 1 time out of 2,the floor wasn't that clean,the whirll pool didn't work and too top it all there was water leaking at a few places on the ceiling.I have told the receptionist he knew about it but didn't seem to care too much.I have sent a fax to the manager 3 days later,i am still waiting for an answer.Guesshe don't care too much either

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Laval, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2010

This hotel is close to everything, its on the principal street you can walk to all the restaurants which you have many choice.
I spent 2 days at this hotel and liked it very much. I met the owner, very nice person, he even sang me a song, very funny guy.
We ate at the restaurant twice the food is very good. We also met the cook and his wife very nice people.
My husband and I find that we were part of a big familly. The waitress and bar tender the customers, all sitting down and having a drink it seem that we all new each other. we laughe alot and had a great time.
In the evening to bad I don't remeber her name, but she sang beautifully, also there is music which we can dance.
I would reccomend this hotel.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mywomens
Trois-Rivieres
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

I did stay in many hotel in my life but this one has everything. The service is excellent.
Everything you need, they have it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vacanciers
ontario, canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

The hotel room/suite was fine, clean, well decorated, etc. No real issues there. Our only complaint was that the hotel did not deliver on the promises made on their website. For example:

- the pool area is almost comical, the pool is about 15 feet long with a capacity of about 4-5 people
- the hotel restaurant is advertised as offering a relaxing fine dining experience, in reality the dining room is attached the the hotel bar which is noisy (live music and dansing started around 8:00) so if you're looking for a romantic getaway, don't plan on eating there! (our hotel package included dinner ie the "romance" package, I would recommend skipping this package and eating at one of the great St-Sauveur restaurants)
- hotel staff did not seem well informed at all about area activities, attractions, biking, etc
- overall feeling of the hotel was somewhat "low end" (ie when you pull up at the hotel there is a huge sign in the window with room prices etc)

If you're looking for high end luxury, look elsewhere. If you're looking for an "OK" accomodation at a reasonable price, this might be a good choice for you.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jasper033
Quebec city, Quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2009

There will be two versions of this review, the complete one and a short version for those who just want facts. If you want to read the short version just scroll down.

**********************COMPLETE REVIEW**************************

So, why am I only giving this hotel 3 stars then?

Well… maybe if you consider its price it could be worth 4 stars but it's still has many flaws and I'm not sure I would go back...

I might be a picky guy, but I expected more from a brand new hotel. Sure at current rates it's very cheap for the region where most hotels are expensive, but I can't help but think that a little extra investment would be worth it.

I visited quite a lot of hotels and yet it was the first time I had so many problems with one. Before even going there I emailed them to know the difference between their room types (their website is terrible) and guess what? They never replied.

So from what I understand: you can't rent a "room" they only rent "suites" and "executive suites". Luckily for you I saw both (more on that later). Since it's a condo hotel the rooms are privately owned but they all look the same.

As far as the difference between the suites: suites with balcony and mountain view are in the back of the hotel on level 200 and 300 (which is 1st and 2nd floor)

The walk-out suites are the same type of room but are in the basement (level 100). It's not really the basement since the hotel is built on a hill, so you still have full windows but the other half of this level doesn't have any windows (that's where conference rooms and the pool are located)

So what's the difference between a suite and an executive suite? The suite what you'd expect form a regular hotel room, but with a kitchenette and a gas fireplace.

The executive suite is exactly the same, but instead of being a studio it's really a one bedroom suite. So you also get a 2nd flat screen in the bedroom and a 2nd balcony. That was nice because the TV set in the living room is wall mounted but not adjustable and there's only a single seating place in front of it… looks like they didn't think that if you put a TV it might be nice to be able to sit in front of it!

The executive suite is about $40-50 more per night and is really NOT worth it in my opinion since it doesn't have more equipment or luxury features..

You do get free wireless Internet connection but when I visited their router wasn't powerful enough so some rooms had no service…

It's VERY important to ask where you room will be located. I would avoid getting a patio door suite since the basement is very hot because of the heated pool. We were on level 200 which is street level. The next thing to check is whether your room is close to the reception desk or not. The lowest your number is (i.e. 201) the closer you will be.
Each location has it's problems. Low numbers (close to the reception desk) are very close to the restaurant and it can get noisy and you can also smell the food.

High numbers (we had room 215 and 219 so we were at the complete opposite end of the hotel) have another problem. If you have a "mountain" view, it won't be a mountain view… it's hidden by big trees, but that's the least of your problems. It's TERRIBLY NOISY because the hotel is build way too close to highway 15 which is very busy even at night. Avoid #219 and #319 as they are the worst of the whole hotel.

So what's bad?

Some features are lacking, there's no DVD player, no radio, no booklet explaining hotel features, check out hours, activities / restaurants in the area. The balcony is useless because there's no outdoor furniture! Also it's was very dark in both rooms lighting was lacking big time, don't even think about reading a book at night it will be very hard on your eyes.

Property maintenance lacks already. The first room we had had a defective toilet, so we ended up getting a free upgrade (big deal, as I said above) to room 215 which is an executive suite. Guess what? The toilet was also defective (it never stopped flushing). I ended up fixing it up myself with my own car keys…

3 light bulbs were burnt in our room.. and you could really tell that construction was rushed up. There was paint on light switches and even on the kitchenette counter…

oh, did I mention our key/cards stopped working TWICE during our stay? how frustrating..

So what's good then?

As I said, the price, it's really a bargain in that region, we paid $110 per night (weekend rate for a regular suite)

It's located close to many restaurants and close to Piedmont too.

Would I recommend it?

Well if you're really looking for a budget hotel yes, it doesn't have a fatal flaw, just be careful when selecting your room location and don't pay extra for an executive suite. But if budget isn't a problem you can find much better, the Avoriaz at Manoir Saint-Sauveur and Hotel Loftboutiques in Piedmont come to my mind…

*** I added pictures of a regular suite in Tripadvisor. For more pictures including those of the executive suite, please visit http://www.kevintrudel.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=34 ***

***********************SHORT REVIEW**********************************

Alright so here are the facts:

· At current prices it's one of the cheapest hotels in the area.

· It's new, and it looks good if not very luxurious

· It's located at the end of the main street (rue Principale) but it's still within walking distance of many restaurants and boutiques although it's quite a long walk from the Factories.

· Some rooms are very noisy due to the hotel's proximity with Highway 15

· Don't be fooled by what they call "mountain view" it means you're in the back of the Hotel but some rooms will only have views of a few trees and highway…

· I'm pretty sure it won't age very well since maintenance already looks problematic and it's not even 6 months old.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Renesis
Gatineau, Quebec
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

It was excellent! We needed to get away (spouse and I) and we found this new hotel. We decided to try it out and we were very happy.Rooms/Hotel was very clean from top to bottom. Built in December 2008, it is very well located. About 5 streets away from the Factories, 1 corner away for Baton Rouge restaurant. We had a room on the main floor, with a patio door facing the ski mountains (that still had snow on them, it was gorgeous!). Breakfast was included in our package, and we got to choose from a varied menu. When we were there, the dinner/restaurant part was being renovated, so we did not have a chance to try their dinner aspects. The pool was very clean, however they could have added a few tables to the area to sit in when you are out of the pool. Ample parking is available.

Again and again, i have nothing but positive things to say about this hotel, that is farily priced for the luxury that you get. A+

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
#3 of 6 in Saint Sauveur des Monts
Hotel Mont Gabriel
Hotel Mont Gabriel
#3 of 11 in Sainte-Adele

Been to Hotel Le Versailles? Share your experiences!