“Excellent Special”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Went to Bella Jacks for lunch last week and the special was great. The food was top notch and the atmosphere was authentic. Definitely would go back again.

Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This is a family owned business and they know how to do it right. They have kept it small so the place is usually packed, but it's worth the wait. The food is delicious and the atmosphere is welcoming.
If you ask about the name of the restaurant you'll see why you feel like family here.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

My wife and I stopped in for lunch. Great special and XX on tap. Very enjoyable meal. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We have tried lunch and dinner several times over the past three years. We were kind of smitten with Bella Jack's in the beginning because there are not a lot of dining choices in St. Thomas. By our third visit we started seeing beyond the Margarita's - which are quite good if you ask for yours to be made without the copious amount of egg whites they add as a filler/frothing agent.

At first glance you might say they are going for shabby chic Mexican decor. But after your third visit and you see the same crap broken tables and tacky wall adornments, you realize it's just plain shabby and rundown. The restaurant has good bones with exposed brick walls and natural wood floors but the owner's have done nothing to improve, repair or enhance this restaurant. The booths and tables are really uncomfortable and lopsided. One booth is actually broken and has been for at least three years and yet they continue to seat poeple there. We sat at a table the other day and it was lopsided and really annoying. I spilled my drink by placing my elbow on the table. The vinyl upholstery on the banquets and chairs is ripped and dirty. The menus are greasy dirty and had food all over them. Every table has folded up cardboard placed under the legs in an effort to balance them. It's not working folks.There is no pride of ownership evident here.

The food is marginal 'mexican' food. I had chicken taco salad and it was tasteless. I kept adding the complimentary salsa but that just made it a soggy mess.The enchilada plate visually resembles the chimichanga plate which resembles the... and so on.

The best part of the meal was the tortilla chips and salsa served to our table when we sat down.

Our server was attentive and the food came out so quickly it was absurd. You just know it's not fresh. You are warned that your plate is hot and that's because the food is premade and the plate has to go in the microwave and the salamander.

I paid the bill at the bar and the young server asked me how everything was. I was honest and said it was not that good. He didn't ask why and I paid the bill and we left. Why bother asking if you don't want to hear the answer?

Too bad the owners are not taking care of this restaurant. It could be a gem in St. Thomas.

Gordon Ramsay would tear this place apart.

1  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Every time we come home to St Thomas we stop at Bella Jack's, whether for "just" Margarita's (the best ever), lightly but deliciously fried calamari or a full meal deal. This time we invited a friend from out of town who had not been there before. Opinion all around? Excellent! Spent two hours eating appies and never did get to dinner. Best bet? Shrimp diablo. All around favourite.

Want Mexican in St Thomas (or for that matter in London)? Then go to Bella Jack's.