“Terrible service, below average hotel”

Four Points by Sheraton Edmundston
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Edmundston
GreenLeadersGold level
Ottawa, Canada
“Terrible service, below average hotel”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Each year, during our annual trek to the east coast, we stop overnight in Edmundston, N.B. We typically always stay at the same hotel, but this year, in an effort to save a few bucks, we opted to reserve through hotwire, and ended up with a room at the Clarion.

From the moment of our arrival, everything about this hotel was inconvenient. The parking lot is located across the street, and on a steep slope, making it a real hassle to unload the car. The girl working behind the front desk was clearly more interested in chatting with the young maintenance worker than in ensuring we had everything we needed. When I forgot my laptop at the counter, she never called up to the room to let me know. Instead, when I noticed my error and called, she said, "Oh, I thought you'd left it here on purpose!" and retrieved it from behind the counter - a bizarre comment by any measure.

I had to call again to ask about a password for the free wi-fi - she never provided it to us because she didn't know we'd need it (despite obviously knowing we had a laptop with us!)

I asked for nearby restaurant recommendations. She pointed us to the hotel restaurant, and after much prodding, also suggested a pizza joint nearby. It turns out the hotel restaurant was closed Saturday evenings (why did she then suggest we go is beyond me!) and as a result, room service was also out.

Before bed, we decided to go for a quick dip in the pool - another hassle we quickly regretted. The pool was tiny (about 12x20 feet at most) and freezing. The hot tub was out of order, and the entire pool area was really dated. After we couldn't find towels in the pool area, we opted to grab the ones from our room - only to be told after the fact we had to ask for some at the front desk. I'd asked about the pool when checking in, so should have been told about this then (though it's not surprising I didn't given our experience).

The rooms were clean enough, although a bit dated given the price and caliber of the hotel. The TV wasn't flat panel, and the toiletries in the washroom were of various brands, like they'd been bought from a leftover sale.

The best part was the breakfast - it was nice to see a few hot breakfast options as opposed to the usual continental options typically offered for free in these types of hotel.

Finally, not that this was the hotel's fault, but there was a wedding at the hotel the night we stayed. Many rooms around ours were booked by wedding guests, who kept all their doors open and partied in the hall and between rooms well into the evening.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mumo2girlies

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Bathurst, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for a period of 6 months and received excellent services with excellent place to stay. Top quality matresses and very clean. The restaurant serves excellent food. Recommended

Room Tip: top floor 5th level are renovated and offers quiet rooms.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank fpi agency
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Accomodations very good. Room clean and everything worked. Staff very helpful and when we requested 6 extra chairs for guests, supplied immediately and worker very reluctant to accept gratuity. Parking is across the street from hotel but no problem to park in front of hotel to load and unload. Stayed there previously under different owners and this time overall, very pleased with stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 26, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the Clarion on previous visits, and enjoyed the stay, but this time, other than the comfortable mattress, there were a number of let-downs:
Cons: Stains on the floor in the room; The air conditioner did not work; The coffee maker tripped the plug breaker each time it was turned on.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Luskville, Quebec
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My husband and I live in the Ottawa area but our entire family is in Edmundston, NB so we decided to have our wedding back home with our friends and family. I personally called and reserved everything with Clarion a year before our August 2010 wedding. I called them in mid June 2010 (10 Months since I originally booked with them) and that is when they advised me that I will no longer be able to decorate my reception hall, with my wedding coordinator the night before (Thursday) or in the morning of my wedding (Friday) because the people that had reserved the room for Tues to Thurs decided that they wanted the room an extra morning, the morning of my wedding. I spoke to 3 different people at the Hotel about this and that the CONTRACT I had clearly stated that I would get the reception hall the night before my wedding to decorate. They offered me no discount, and I ended up only being able to get into the hall at 11am the day of my wedding to decorate the hall. Horrible service from management and they just did not care. At least the serving staff were great to us. I use to stay at this hotel every time I went back home, NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Ontario Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2011

"My husband and I traveled from Ontario, and were pleased to find the hotel, friendly, clean, close to everything, we do alot of traveling and I hate hotel stays where I feel creepy, this place was very comfortable, so we stay again on our return trip...Thanks Guys...Mrs. L. Harper

Room Tip: ...and they were so nice to our little dog Maggie
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed with my family on our way to and from Nova Scotia. It was okay. The rooms were a bit worn. I wouldn't say the place was dirty but it could do with a renovation. They don't really clean beyond the surface, either. If you check at the head of the bed, there were like bandaids and stuff.

They free wireless internet was dependable, though, and the people at the front desk were pleasant.

The hot, complimentary breakfast was good. Much better than your typical continental.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family