“Old, dirty and noisy”

Fernie Slopeside Lodge
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Fernie
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Me and my husband went for the weekend. When we arrived, there was nobody to give us the room´s keys so we had to wait about 20 minutes to get in. The smell was horrible, the halls where covered with dirt. The carpet and the blankets where gross. The "hot" tub where cold!!! Not recommendable at all.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carolina S

Reviewed January 23, 2012

This was our third time staying at the Wolfs Den. The location is it's obvious prime feature, but there are other hidden parts that make it better than just a slopeside bed for the night.

They have a BBQ on the patio that's available whenever you need it, so I've made a habit of bringing beef ribs with me to fuel up after a day on the slopes! Also the ski/board locker is much better than some other resorts I've stayed at. They're large and constructed of wood, so the boards don't get nicked trying to put them in, they also have holes at the bottom for water to drain through. Nothing worse than rusty edges from a board sitting in water all night!

The hot tubs are small and indoors, but very relaxing nontheless. Unfortunately some people don't respect the hot tub room and there can be quite a mess with towels everywhere at night. A little courtesy from other guests would make it a better experience.

The rooms are just right, and the beds reasonably comfortable. It's too bad they don't have any rooms with a single queen or king instead of the two doubles, as my better half likes to steal the covers and kick me while I try to sleep! Speaking of sleep, Sunday morning we awoke to the sound of TNT being dropped from a helicopter into the mountain bowls. For the uninitiated that might be a little concerning... For me I got a big grin on my face and was instantly wide awake! We were in the lift lines 15 mins before they opened, and some of the first people into the powder bowls as they opened them throughout the day!

I will stay here again, but it is a little expensive for the features included in the room (no kitchenette, basic TV, etc.) The pre-season and mid-week deals help, and I'll be trying to take advantage of those throughout the winter.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AaronP929
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This is close to the ski hill and its related facilities, but not quite ski in / ski out -- you can ski to the front door, but to start your day you have to climb a little incline, with about a 20 foot vertical.

I got there later that planned (Fernie has better snow, but is harder to get to than Lake Louise or Sunshine) and the front desk was closed. It closes, apparently at 8 pm. I had to call security (so bring your cell phone) and they were there very quickly and signed me in to my room. But they didn't tell me that you have to flick a switch to get the heater to work I only learned that the next day when the front desk opened. So it was a cool night.

The accommodation is very basic, but it is reasonably spacious and clean enough. during my stay it was pretty quiet. They claim there are microwaves available, but when I inquired, I was referred to the communal one in a lounge. That worked out ok, however.

A plus: As it is pretty basic accommodation, if you are only one or two, they don't mind if you stow your skis in your room rather than the ski lockers downstairs. If that's your plan try to get a room on the front door level (the 200 rooms, rather than the 100 or 300 level rooms).

There is a convenience and liquor store right next to the Wolf's Den and it is very handy.

If you need a break from the basic, head over to the Lizard Creek lounge -- they serve decent food in very comfortable surroundings. i got a place right by the fire both times. And I was able to check my ipod wi-fi for free.

Finally, the view out the window was not too bad. Fernie is a pretty place.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank dallan001
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We stayed at The Wolfs Den Lodge in July where you can rightly assume it was not for skiing but biking.
First off, when we checked in there was no one at the front desk and were advised to go around to the convenience store to check in there. Once we found this store the check in was fine but the procedure was a bit odd in my opinion.
The rooms are plain and basic - two beds, table, lamps, desk, TV, small window, no balcony, no AC - and the bed was a bit hard, but the price is suited for the budget traveler.
And best of all it's on the hill so you can ride right up to your door.
I was feeling pretty good about this place when my kid took a shower and the pipes started flexing and groaning and the rush of water forced me turn up the TV just to hear it.
But this was offset by the fact you can bring bikes into the rooms so you don't worry about them being nicked in the dead of night. And they even supply each room with rags so you can wipe down your bike, so don't use the towels, and don't ride in the halls.
Think of the Wolfs Den Lodge not as a hotel/motel but more like dormitory. There's a common area out front with pop and snack machines and jacuzzis downstairs which adds to the atmosphere as a casual meeting area after a long day of biking or skiing.
It was also pretty quiet too, but I assume it's party central with the ski crowd during the winter.
Just don't expect that four star service can be had on the cheap. With anything on a budget you take the good with the bad and the Wolfs Den lodge is no exception.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ParisNeophite
Reviewed May 27, 2010

We stayed at the Wolfs Den Lodge in March for a ski trip - very well located for the ski lifts, and could ski right back to the door. Also turned out handy that the first-aid post was next door. Good for the bus-stop into town too.
Rooms were basic but comfortable, with fridge and table & chairs so you could make your own breakfast (none served). Ski lockers, hot tubs, microwave and internet also available. Reception staff friendly and helpful (like everyone in Fernie).
Could have been cleaner, but it was fine for us.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ElizabethofEngland
Reviewed March 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I have just returned from 2 weeks at Wolf's Den. We had read the other reviews on here and were a bit concerned by some of the comments.......we were pleasantly surprised though. It is in a great location (ski in, no ski out but very close to the chair lifts and the resort, near the local supermarket and the shuttle bus to town picks you up from the back of Wolf's Den on an evening), the staff are really friendly and willing to help with anything and the accomodation is clean and comfortable. The only negatives were that you can hear people having showers in the morning in nearby rooms, but luckily no-one seemed to get up too early and we were always ready to get up anyway to go and snowboard, and the room would have been quite cramped if 4 people had been staying in it. The rooms are nothing fancy, but are clean and fresh towels are delivered daily and the TV had some good channels on it! The bathroom was a good size and the shower was really powerful, which was nice on the aching muscles! There was sometimes a whiff of chlorine in the halls, which I think was from the hot tubs, which we used a couple of times and thought were great.
We had a great holiday (although we could have done with a bit more snow!) and loved being able to go in to Fernie town. There are plenty of great places to eat and it didn't seems as expensive as some ski resorts I've been to. Would particularly recommend Yamagoya (Japanese) and Picnic in town, the restaurant at Stanford (for curry) and Kelsey's on the hill for a cheap and chearful burger and a bit of atmosphere on a weekend. My boyfriend and I are in our late 20s, like to go somewhere with some atmosphere but prefer not to go anywhere that's really noisy or busy and usually stay in mid range accomodation - Wolf's Den and Fernie Alpine Resort was perfect for this. Would definitely recommend it!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sazzle1201
Management response:Responded November 3, 2010

Thank you very much for your kind note! We look forward to your return! We have great snowstorms already and it is only November 3rd! Should be an epic winter with La Nina weather pattern! This means huge snow- last La Nina winter we had 37 feet of snow!

Reviewed March 2, 2010

Spent 11 nights at the Wolf's Den Lodge in January / February 2010; this is the second season staying here and our third season in Fernie.
Having stayed both in town and on the hill, on the hill is much better if you have gone to ski and not for the nightlife which can be limited and usually finishes quite early in comparison to other resorts both in the US / Canada and Europe.
As a party we have stayed at the Wolf's Den before so we knew what to expect and contacted Wolf's Den direct when we booked with our tour operator to request our room so we had great views of the mountain. Top floor is also better as you have less 'guest' noise when for some reason people still want to walk around in their ski boots; each room has its own ski / boot locker which is big enough t fit four full sets of skis, poles and boots in.
Yes the rooms are very basic and can be quite crampt if there are four people sharing. Having listened into 'staff briefings' I think there may have been a few staffing issues which resulted in a number of housekeeping issues; staff this season appeared to be very young which may explain the reason they required guidance in basic housekeeping. However all you need to do is talk to the staff and they are more than willing to help and will try their best to sort out any problems you have.
The hot tubs are basic but very welcoming after a hard days skiing, fresh clean towels are provided along with shower facilities but it is just as easy to walk to your room and shower.
The bathrooms are small but functional and yes could be said to be looking a little bit tired; however new soap was left daily and the water was always very hot. The shower, which is quite powerful, however does sound like a jet taking off when turned on but this was used as a wake up call for our party. Wolf's Den has adopted the same policy that may of the big chains have with regard to laundry and helping the environment; if you hand your towels up they think you dont want them changing - dump them in the bathtub if you do.
For a basic no frills holiday where the most important factor is your skiing I would recommend Wolf's Den.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends