“Bluebird and Rain”

Ranked #7 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Fernie
Calgary, Canada
“Bluebird and Rain”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Here in Fernie in the springtime along with the bluebird days arrive a few rainy days in town. Here is the thing...generally when in rains in town it usually is snowing on the hill! So don't let it get to you, just get out the door and go! So many pockets of powder to be found even in Spring! I've been staying at the Raging Elk, and its seems that the season is definitely at a slower time here. Its such a great layout, rooms are warm - great for drying out the ski gear! There is an awesome pub (Kodiak Lounge) right in the hostel that serves an awesome IPA! Everyone seems to be having fun here even at the end of the season. The Kodiak is still busy and open only till about 11 so its not a big party thrash place but a great spot for apres ski, a chat and a game of pool! ( There is a full size stuffed Kodiak bear that watches over the pool table!! ha!) I came here by myself from Calgary and every night meet awesome people just out having a good time! Lots of Reddeers/Edmontoners / Lethbridgers and of course Euros and the usual sprinkling of Auzzies in all ski towns! Such a great vibe! "Gary" from Scotland runs the pub! Gary is awesome and brings a great energy to all who walk in the door! Great playlist playing too! i love that in a pub! The Raging Elk has an awesome set up downstairs too for making big communal meals or whatever.. also another pool table and a theatre room! Its been an awesome stay and its a great place for a single traveler or family! This was my road less travelled as I usually am not a " hostel" traveler... great stay and bang for your buck! The owners I think also work at the Raging Elk too so you get a sense that its a place that has been invested in and a real solid base. Everyone seems so helpful and just low key! If you are looking into a place to stay in Fernie.. for a night or a week or a month!!!! consider the raging Elk for sure! I had a great stay and will for sure investigate a summer trip!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 19, 2012

I just stayed at the elk for the first time this weekend. We snowboard at Fernie a lot and are always on the lookout for the best accommodation deal in the area. I booked over the phone early in the week with a credit card, and paid in full for the two nights upon arrival. My GF and I shared a private room for a reasonable $69 or so each night. The rooms were decent, beds comfortable and washrooms clean. Obviously a hostel is not going to be a stay at the taj mahal, and the interior reminded me of a cottage, but I think it added to the comfort.

The TV was pretty much useless, as the channel up button was broken, so you had to flip down through the channels, and I'm not sure if they're on cable or just an antenna, as we only had about 10 channels and all were very fuzzy and almost unwatchable. Nevertheless we weren't in Fernie to watch TV so it was no loss to us.

I've stayed in one hostel before this, and had a terrible sleep due to people in the room next to ours making a ton of noise at 3:00 am. So I was a little worried about the Elk. It turned out to not be a problem at all. There was a dog outside that barked every once in a while but he seemed to get quiet near 10-11 or so at night, and I was never awake during the night due to somebody elses noise. I'm not sure what the dorm rooms are like, but the private rooms were fine.

The sauna was a nice touch, it got good and hot after a while. The downstairs common area is homey. Comfy couches, and lots of log cabin style interior design made it feel comfortable. I only used the kitchen for breakfast but it worked well, and it looked like everybody took care of their mess well.

One tip: The pancake batter they make for breakfast is too thick to cook on the supplied griddle. On saturday morning I tried making breakfast for my GF and I but even with the griddle on 400f the pancakes wouldn't cook through even after 10+ minutes. For sunday morning I got a little container of milk and yogurt, and took some of the batter in a separate bowl and made my own thinner version of their batter with about a tablespoon of yogurt and a couple shots of milk. The griddle still wasn't hot enough but it was much better. Maybe instead of the pancake breakfast a couple waffle makers could be used? I've used the hotel kitchen style waffle makers and they use boxed batter but cook up a nice waffle in only about 2-3 minutes. When trying to rush out the door to hit the first lift this is really crucial! If we stay again I'll probably do instant oatmeal or just cereal instead.

The conversation in the kitchen area was good. Everyone I met in the hostel was friendly. We had a game of pool the first night and other than the balls all rolling to one side it was fun! lol

Overall, I wouldn't pay more than they're asking for the private room, but a $70 bed within 5 minutes of the hill is worth it for me!

Room Tip: Private rooms in the high 20's will have less people walking past your door...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Relk, Manager at The Raging Elk Adventure Lodge, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for your review concerning your stay at The Raging Elk. I am glad that you found the facilities clean and the beds comfortable. I am also happy that you enjoyed the lack of noise at the hostel. It is one of my objectives to cater to skiers and boarders of all ages in a fun environment, yet ensure that after 11pm it is a noise free zone, so customers can get up early to enjoy the powder on the mountain:) I was unaware of the t.v situation in that room and now after looking at it, I think it is time for a replacement this shoulder season. Great idea with regards to the waffle makers rather than the pancake grills. We currently go through 3 pancake grills a winter (because they are not commercial they tend to not last long) so I am definately going to look at purchasing a couple of commercial waffle makers for next season. We hope to see you again next winter or even this summer for some mountain biking or hiking. It seems like the resort is looking at adding a zip line and adventure tree top climbing adventure park this summer so that should be fun.
calgary
Reviewed January 7, 2012

we booked a room for two here and changed our minds with in 24 hrs the raging elk still charged me $14.16 then also said because i never cancelled i would be charged $56.00 in total, then when i checked my credit card i found out i was charged a total of $77.16. i gave them notice and was still charged, will not recomend in doing any credit card exchange with these people

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Shayne,
I have personally forwarded you all the relevant information regarding an explanation of your credit card charges.
One charge was a 10% booking deposit which was paid to the company you booked with and the second charge was the balance of one nights accommodation because of your late cancellation with us. Please refer to the terms and conditions of your booking form that you filled in on line.
It is very standard for companies to have a penalty of some sort for customers who do not show or cancel their reservation within the required time frame.
Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be happy to help you out

Travelers are raving about these Fernie hotels

New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Not very secure bike locker. Front desk person was very rude & hostile towards us when we checked out because we had stored our bikes in our room. Quite a surprise to us since they never mentioned anything to us during our stay. Fernie is a great little town, with some great mountian biking, but we won't be staying in this hostel again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lubo B
Relk, Manager at The Raging Elk Adventure Lodge, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
I love mountain biking and mountian bikers!! Fortunately we do have a fully secure bike storage area with 24 hour survallience cameras pointed at it and bike theft has never occured during 15 years of operation . We do polietly request that our guests do not to store bikes in the private rooms at our Lodge. We are a small family run business and we take pride in our business and keeping our rooms clean and affordable .By having bikes with tires covered in mud stored in the rooms is not good for wear and tear .Yes Fernie is an amazing mountian bike destination and my wife and myself are avid mountian bikers. We are more than willing to accomodate for mountian bikers needs, and we happy to show new riders to the area trails or give them guidence on the local mountiain bike maps. It sound like you really enjoyed Fernie so we hope that we can be provided with a second opportunity to host you.
MD
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Went to Fernie with a buddy for some fly fishing. The rain prevented us from camping as much as we wanted, but the Raging Elk worked out great. We stayed in one of the private rooms with bunk beds and a private bathroom. Price was around $70 and it was well worth it. Fernie is not an inexpensive place to get a hotel room at so I would highly recommend staying at the Elk if you want a clean place to stay at a reasonable price. You can spend less for one of the semi private/shared rooms, but when traveling with two people the extra $10/night each was worth having a private room. Make sure to go across the street for 2-1 burrito night.
Joe is a heck of a host. Enjoyed spending time in the bar for a reasonably priced draft beer or two and enjoyed swapping stories with Joe. Water levels were a bit high when we were in Fernie so we hope to return and catch up with the Raging Elk and Joe next year. Two thumbs up and make sure to say hi to Cody the dog. Hope he still has his lion hair cut.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Hi MD,
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at The Elk. Hopefully the fly fishing this summer will rock the water levels in the Elk will be of a reasonable level and we can enjoy some more beers together at The Kodiak. Cody has his big furry winter coat right now....sort of looks like a bear! But will be taking him in to get a shave soon. Hopefully we will see you this summer
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 10, 2011

Crashed here for a night, so we could ski Fernie. The price was right, we had a private room which slept 4 and came with private bathroom. Rooms are getting a bit rough around the edges, but it's a hostel so no big deal. Free pancakes and coffee in the morning are an added bonus. The room was quiet and had good space for hanging wet clothes etc.
Super convenient for walking to bars, restaurants etc, plus there is a bar in the hostel for those first few warm-up drinks.
Needs free wifi though!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review concerning your stay at The Raging Elk. I am glad that you enjoyed our facilities and breakfast. You will be happy to know that since your stay with us we now provide two free wi fi networks. One network is specifically for guests to staying at The Raging Elk and another network is for guests and patrons of The Kodiak Lounge. So between the two networks the wi fi here now rocks. We hope to see you again in the future.
London
Reviewed May 7, 2010

So the last HI related hostel we have stayed at was in Fernie called Raging Elk Hostel.
I was a big fan of Fernie, both the town and the hostel. Huge shame about the Mountain though – I will try to review that later. Fernie is a great Hippy town, with some great places to eat be it cheap or expensive. The Hostel is right next to the Greyhound (a nice change from Banff where it is miles away). Note: The Eastbound bus to Vancouver/Nelson etc leaves at 3am. Everything is in walking distance, and the facilities are great. They have a whole floor below the hostel with Huge Screen TV, huge common area and big kitchen. The Bunk beds were not the most comfortable but hey they are bunk beds! The bar/café has some great staff that were very helpful and the Rib night was very good. These Ribs were like Dinosaur bones and very tasty. The Ski bus also leaves from just across the street!
I would recommend this hostel as it was very convenient.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review on The Raging Elk.
I am happy that you enjoyed the small town charm of Fernie and our facilities at The Elk. I am also glad that you were impressed with our communal facilities as this is one area of the hostel in which I pride as being relaxable and comfortable for guests to enjoy.You will be happy to know that we still have the slowly cooked ribs every Friday at The Kodiak. Hopefully we will see you again in the future.