“Good night out”

Fernie Cattle Company
Ranked #15 of 57 Restaurants in Fernie
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fernie's premier steakhouse featuring grass fed Black Angus Beef, oceanwise seafood, and certified organic, fresh vegetables all year long.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Had some trouble with making reservations as they only allow certain times for seating . They did not have the fish on the menu. The food was really good. The steak is cut thin though, but tasty. The lamb chops were great. The service was good and atmosphere friendly. Expensive but nice for a special evening out.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

As regular visitors to Fernie the idea of a nice steak or other grill items is very appealing and this is the only restaurant dedicated to such a menu. So the idea is good but after three visits now and walking out twice the next time I want a steak in Fernie I will go the supermarket and cook one myself. My real issue here is not the food, on the one occasion we stayed to eat and they actually had some of what we wanted on their menu, the food was ok, nothing spectacular, but ok.
The big problem is that the menu is limited and even then they always have a long list of items not available, their standard excuse is that they have had a busy night or busy last days, but believe me we have been here in mid January when the town is empty and they still have the list of not available. On this most recent visit once again we were presented with a list of items not on the menu (because they had been busy apparently) - their only chicken dish not available, their only fish dish not available etc, etc. Despite this we ordered one steak and one lamb chops both with baked potato ( no French fries available at any time which always seems a bit strange to me in a steakhouse). Our order was taken and we waited for our food. During this time we heard another waitress tell a nearby table that sorry but Baked Potato was no longer available. We were not told the same and thought maybe we had got lucky and got the last 2, well we were soon to be even more disappointed. Our waitress came to tell us that the lamb order that she had accepted was no longer possible, so now the only lamb dish on menu was not available. At this point we said that we overheard that Baked Potato was not available and surprise, surprise we were informed that we would also not be having BP. Enough was enough and I asked to speak to a manager, instead I got another server (apparently the place is managed by the joint owners who both work in kitchen) who had been specially trained in these situations and from our experiences and her own admission she gets plenty of practice explaining why multiple dishes are off the menu. I was not happy with the explanation and asked to speak with one of the owners, this was denied and I was told they did not and would not speak to customers with problems. Our evening at Fernie Cattle Co ended pretty soon after that, we paid for the wine we had drank, left and agreed that we would not be giving them another opportunity to disappoint! It is a shame because there really is a place for a good steakhouse in Fernie but believe me this is not a good steakhouse!

3  Thank BBandGB
Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Should be renamed "lobster company".
It was good. Except for the thin, burned $32.00 ribeye. Didn't quite make it to my list of 100 best ribeye steaks.
Lobster was tasty.
Service was good and restaurant was pretty nice.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had the clam and mussel starter then the 10 oz ribeye steaks. The mussel and clam starter was served in a neet little pot thing right at the table and they were wonderful. Bread was served with and it was certainly enough for three people. I would not order this as a starter for just one as bread is served on the table with maple butter and this is served with herb bread so you would need to share this if you were not a very large eater. Very good though. Steak was well cooked and tender and very well presented good veggies and potato. The only down side is this is a very pricey place and it was so dark that I had to use a flashlight to read the menu. This definitely the place to go for special occasions, but would give a miss if you are money conscious.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Very unique! Fantastic service, food a bit overpriced for what it is, hours are hit and miss seems they are never opened the same days every week. Over all a good place to wine and dine.