“Expensive for the quality of food provided”

Fernie Cattle Company
Ranked #14 of 55 Restaurants in Fernie
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Fernie's premier steakhouse featuring grass fed Black Angus Beef, oceanwise seafood, and certified organic, fresh vegetables all year long.
Bath, United Kingdom
“Expensive for the quality of food provided”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

It is not often I feel dissappointment after a meal, but the cost of the food here for the quality has motivated me to share. The starter of pork ribs was so salty I could feel my arteries fur up throughout the meal. I then chose an elk burger which again was covered in salt, and simply could not finish it. My son had a steak which was reasonable but at nearly $40 you would expect it to be. We didn't try the desserts. On the upside, the drinks menu was varied - but again costly. Perhaps we just hit on a bad night.

Visited April 2013

Jaffray
“Best steak in Fernie”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just revisited the FCC again and was very happy with my mussels and NY steak, great to see organic items on the menu and the wine list. Impressed with the home made ketchup and steak sauce. Cake for dessert was too big in size and for the price the presentation was below average. Service made some mistakes but handled it very good.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank PeteJaffray
fernie
“so so”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had been eagerly anticipating our first trip to the cattle co, so we went on a 'double date' on a Friday night. We were seated right at our reservation time but then waited 20 minutes for our server, meanwhile ordering drinks off of another girl working...It seemed to take forever for our server to come to us, and we didn't end up eating until 9.30. Our server just seemed more concerned with other tables. The portion size was small, given that I can go to backcountry and they will cut me whatever size I wanted for a fraction of the cost. My vegetables too looked really 'sad'. and I left feeling hungry but didn't want to eat anything else because surely I should be full from a $250 meal. It was ok but we will probably just get our own from backcountry and barbeque at home next time.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank pebbles2910
Calgary, Canada
“I wouldnt write home about it, but I wouldnt leave mid meal”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

It was fine, the server was fine, the food was fine, the table was uncomfortable felt exposed, but that was what the other half of all the tables were anyways. Place looked clean ceasers were great and it was busy. They dont seem to look kindly on food changes due to restrictive diets, but they did accomodate.

Visited March 2013
Fernie, Canada
“Average Steak Restaurant”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We dined here in December of 2012 about two weeks before Christmas and were quite disappointed. Fernie Cattle Company opened with much hype in town (we're locals) but for us, it was a fail. The Fernie food scene has a lot to be desired but that is another story (having said that, there are some great places to eat in town).

There were 2 or 3 Christmas groups the night we ate at FCC and the inexperience of the serving staff was obvious. Common sense would dictate not to seat a couple between 2 groups of work Christmas parties - why not just seat us in one of the many booths that were empty all night ? We ordered some steaks and they were accompanied by some of the saddest vegetables I've ever encountered. Our bill for 2 steaks and wine was around $150. I would have been happy with this bill had the food and service been up to the old 'Picnic' standard (another restaurant in Fernie) but alas, not to be.

The steaks were ordinary which was surprising given that there is a store called Fernie Backcountry Meats in town that will cut steaks to your desired size that are amazing (this store also does great smoked meat).

Anyway, back to the restaurant. OK service, weird dining layout and average plate presentation.

• Visited December 2012