“Great lunch, great service”
Review of Island Lake Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fernie
Island Lake Lodge
Ranked #1 of 13 Specialty Lodging in Fernie
Alberta
“Great lunch, great service”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Thank you for being open! The last time I visited Island Lake Lodge, the restaurant was closed for a private function, which was very disappointing. This time, we persevered, travelled up the mountain to this little piece of heaven at the top, and we were not disappointed. The lodge has a beautiful outdoor patio where you can have a drink, eat great food, and enjoy the beautiful mountains. No trip to Fernie is complete without a trek up to Island Lake Lodge.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JLP1989

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Golden, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent a night mid week up at Island Lake lodge and it was absolutely stunning. I had always assumed that the prices would be out of my range but now I know that they are on par with most restaurants in Fernie. Our server told us that the chef seeks out locally grown food wherever possible. They even bought a head of cow from a farmer only 10 kms away. When our food came out everyone took photos of each plate as it looked like a work of art, complete with an edible flower that has a peppery flavour (I wish I would have asked the name of the flower). Our server for dinner was incredible. She made our experience outstanding and had great recommendations for wine within our budget. I have two small children and when we asked the reservations staff if we could have a room between us and the next guest she went even further and arranged for us to be in one of the older lodges in order for us to be by ourselves. We were in a room that was adjacent to the “common area” and it felt as though we had an entire living space to ourselves. The common area opens to a large deck with great views of the wild mountain range that the lodge sits adjacent to. Our 2 year old thought that it would be fun to wake up at 6 am (argh), so dad took him for a little hike down to the lake. The photos we got from that early morning jaunt are spectacular. Breakfast was delicious, we experimented with food that we didn’t even know the names of it and it was absolutely delicious and fresh. I’ve always thought of Island Lake as a great place to go for a special occasion but I’m going to make a point to go more often now that I have done a little price comparing. Being surrounded by that nature and enjoying that lovingly prepared food is good for the soul. And there’s nothing like enjoying a post-dinner coffee sitting on the deck and watching the sun set on that mountain range. Stunning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HeartMountains
Switzerland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

A friend of ours from Calgary recommended we stay at Island Lake Lodge while we were in Fernie visiting friends. I cannot put into words the sheer beauty and magnificence of this lodge in summer. I knew of Island Lake Lodge from snowboarding and skiing; it's reputation is legendary, so to even sit on the same chairs that some of the greatest skiers and snowboarders in modern history sat on had me pretty excited. The lodge itself boasts a self sustaining and eco-friendly environment right down to the electricity generation and the water. The staff went out of their way to help us; they changed our pillows when we asked if they were down feathered (my wife is allergic), they mapped out our hikes and let us know what we could do with a four year old, they set us up with canoe rentals free of charge, when they were listed at $10/hr and most of all, they spoke from experience without any pretentions. We felt comfortable asking the silliest questions and the staff were always respectful. I also appreciated the fact that they respected our son and his four year old needs; never did they speak of bear, cougar or moose sightings in a way that would scare him from hiking the mountains, they always used discretion for which I was thankful.

The food served at Island Lake is equivalent to a Michelin starred restaurant anywhere in the world, no exaggeration. We ate Elk Osso Bucco and Sable fish for supper and had the most amazing breakfasts (included in the price of the room) from flower shaped philo pastry shells stuffed with proscuitto, gruyere and egg to cinnamon rolls french toasted and served with fresh picked berries. Our four year old was able to have his meals changed, taken apart, served on separate plates and was never charged for the accommodations or extra juices the server kept bringing. The wine list is endless and emphasizes Canadian wines while paying tribute to all the great wines produced around the world, so if you want a $500 bottle of Barolo that hasn't seen the light of day for ten years, they probably have it in the cellar.

The hiking possibilities are endless from multiple day excursions to mountain huts to one hour jaunts around the lake. Each morning people would arrive to take the Mount Baldy loop or the Spineback trail that leads right up a ridge across from the lake and lodge and rewards you with spectacular panoramic views. Imagining to myself what it would all look like and feel like with 12 feet of snow was almost incomprehensible. I now have a goal to come back in the winter some day and see the other side of Island Lake Lodge, when it becomes the world's best back country cat operation, but for now I am more than happy to have my memories of the Lodge in summer, when it costs 10% of the price per night that it does on those snow filled winter nights.

Room Tip: We stayed in Tamarack 4 and it was truly spectacular, we could soak in the bath tub while looking ou...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JPMZCANADA
Cranbrook, Canada
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We hosted a wedding weekend for family and friends. Our sons wedding on July 28th was the most spectacular event I have ever witnessed. From the time of our arrival, every small detail was taken care of with caring, supportive ,knowledgeable, friendly staff. They worked very hard all weekend long and deserve kudos for their professionalism-
L'wren and Sam along with all the behind the scene staff- What an amazing job you did! The food was out of this world-the service was more than excellent and the setting- I DEW POINT!
I could not have imagined anything more PERFECT! We had many family members that had travelled from Eastern Canada as well as the West and others that travelled from Germany- They felt the same way-they didnt want it to end!
I know we will definitely head back to Island Lake even just to hike around the lake!
Thanks to all who made this all possible.

Room Tip: the view from the balcony of TAM 4 was spectacular- While I enjoyed a coffee and the birds chirpin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Diane M
Calgary
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I were there to hike for 4 days in early July. Accommodation is clean, comfortable, no TV or phones. Need to make sure door is securely closed/locked. Lovely big tub - could have used some bath gel or salts. Staff were very friendly/helpful. The setting is gorgeous. The dining room was superb. Loved the food presentation - especially the flowers. Good variety - easily met my needs as a partial vegetarian - I eat fish. Wonderful hikes although the info is a little misleading - hikes were generally longer than advertised. Unfortunately several hikes were closed due to snow - we'll go later next year. Husband loved fresh air in room and dining room - I found it a bit cool. Hot tubs are great - clean, well maintained, lots of towels. Maybe offer something by the fire pit in the evenings. The games room was a bit musty. .

Room Tip: If you want a view of the lake you'll need to pay extra. We had a room at the side of the build...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed up at the cedar lodge on the 9th of July and it was a fantastic experience. Lucky for us it was date night, which included 2 glasses of wine, 2 entrées and a choice of an appetizer or dessert. We opted for the appetizer and was it ever delicious! The staff knew the menu perfectly and helped us decide what to have for our main courses. In all of our dinning experience we have never come across a more knowledgeable and caring staff. They really made the night that much better. After a wonderful dinner we picked up a bucket of ice for champagne and heading back to our lodge where we enjoyed the covered hot tub and some peace and quiet. Overall I would absolutely recommend Island Lake Lodge to everyone/anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing, beautiful night! Thanks for making me look that much better in my girlfriends eyes!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Justin G
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Though it was a 15 minute drive from Fernie we felt like we were a 1,000 miles away from everywhere! We now have been guests over 6 times and our anniversary 4 times and can't imagine going anywhere else. The room, (huge and sooooo relaxing) the spa, the food, the staff and the setting (oh my god!) it's the perfect relaxing get away ever!. On our first visit we got a flat tire and one of the staff noticed it, came to our table, took my keys and changed the tire for me! WOW, that's service!. After the amazing meal and the best night sleep I can remember we got up in the morning and sat gobsmacked looking over the lake then jumped in a canoe for a paddle around the island. It's an iconic Fernie experience and a must do even if its just for lunch. Though my wife and I highly suggest the over night as you want to sample the wine from the wine cellar!! Thanks to the staff and management!!

D&H Berry

Room Tip: Just remeber there are no bad views, you are surrounded by the Rocky Mountains!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple