“Great Skiing - Food and Lodging leave alot to be desired”

Fernie Alpine Resort
Ranked #1 of 33 things to do in Fernie
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep in the snow, high up on the Powder Highway, lies Fernie Alpine Resort. With 37 feet of perfect powder, stunning scenery, 5 huge alpine bowls and endless downhill thigh burning runs. Don't miss an opportunity to fall in love with Fernie, start in the large Learning Area at the base of the mountain serviced by its own t-bar lift, once comfortable you have a huge resort full of secret powder pockets and hidden mountain spots to keep you occupied throughout your skiing/riding career! Find out why Fernie has been named as a Top 25 Ski Town in the World, Best Winter Trip and Coolest Town in North America in recent years.
Regina, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Skiing - Food and Lodging leave alot to be desired”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I'll start with the positive, this resort has fantastic snow! 28cm of powder the day before we arrived made our skiing/snowboarding experience one to remember.
The resort could use improvement in the areas of food and lodging. I'm not that hard to please but for the high cost of food and rooms on the hill I would expect much more. Kelsey's resturant was brutal, dark and dirty. When my daughter found a hair in her meal we were offered 'half off the price of the dish'... laughable to say the least. Stay away. Drive into town for dinner. Our rooms at Snow Creek were large and located right beside the lift, I expected nothing less for $550 a night. My dissapointment was in the underground parking which leaked a paint-like substance from the ceiling damaging my vehicle. The otherwise helpful staff at the front desk were completely useless in resolving the issue. I did notice that they immediately scurried to put up signs advising vehicle owners that they might experience property damage when they parked in the parkade. We have since been told that we must write a letter to the Snow Creek Owner's Association asking for restitution. Put the onus on me to make this right...terrible customer service in my opinion and an experience that I won't forget. Beware if you choose to stay there.

Visited February 2011
2 Thank Flatland088

toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Great snow but wont go back”
Reviewed February 8, 2011

Fernie can offer great skiing if the weather cooperates. On this trip it was bitterly cold (minus 25 C for 3 days) so the antiquated lift system was not at all helpful. Slow, cold chairs meant that you started off cold and just got colder. And to make matters worse, the snow-making had been turned on beside 2 of the chairs so you got a good blast of freezing ice on the way up. If even one of the lifts had had heated seats and a bubble , we could have lasted longer on the hills. It also would have helped if the lift attendants had exerted some energy to brush the snow and ice off the chairs. At the top there was little relief because on one side of the area,the lonely heated yurt was crammed full and we got a fresh blast of frigid air every time someone entered or left. There were no drinks or food available at the yurt. On the other side, at the top, the cafe was so busy, we had to wait in line for 20 minutes before getting a hot drink. No surprise that the resort was virtually empty. With very few shops or entertainment , the only attraction is the wonderful ski area and the snow, but this cant compensate for the lack of amenities and comfort. There are too many other resorts that do offer these perks. Oh, let's not forget to mention the total lack of charm, ambience ,or character of the Griz lunch area. It is truly the saddest, ugliest "day lodge" ever. Let me add that we are seniors who travel a lot and ski in 4 or 5 different resorts in Europe, Canada and the US every year. We value great snow and beautiful,vast ski area but we also value our comfort and convenience. Surely the lack of these are a function of the management of the Resorts of the Canadian Rockies who, I understand, own Fernie Ski Resort

Visited February 2011
7 Thank gailandnorm
Legendarypowder, Public Relations Manager at Fernie Alpine Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you very much for your input. Mother Nature brings Fernie Alpine Resort up to 37 feet of snow but with that bounty of snow also comes few colder days. We should have communicated better with you to share some tips on skiing the mountain on cold days. Might be better to try the Timber/White Pass side early and utilize Lost Boys Cafe to warm up. Then when it gets busier on that side switch over to the Lizard and Cedar Bowl side (part of the 5 Bowls) where you can access the base area village easier. We have done some enhancements to the food court in the Griz Day Lodge. Also might try the Starbucks coffee shop called Slopeside as an option.
Lethbridge, Alberta
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Wonderful hill, one good restaurant, one terrible restaurant”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I've been skiing here for over 30 years - and a once unkown gem of the Rockies has now become much more well known, and, sadly, much busier. However, this has allowed for expansion over the years and miles and miles of ski terraine for everyone from the beginner to the seasoned expert.

I have stayed on-hill several times, most recently the only place I could get reservations for was the Wolf's Den. It was pretty basic - not the cleanest or most well-maintained, but it was more than satsifactory as a place to lay your head after a hard day skiing - ski-in and a short hundred yards or so to the left area.

For Christmas holidays - the lift lines for more than bearable and the snow was wonderful - so the skiing was great. The only downside of the on-hill experience is the somewhat limited options for dinners.

We ate twice at the Brasserie - food very good, service a little slow, but understable with the Christmas rush. I would recommend it.

I wish I could say the same for Kelsey's.

Rudest hostess EVER. We attended as two families - 8 in all - and were told, in a rude and dismissive voice that "it would be at least an hour", with her tone of voice clearly telling us to leave. My brother, however, for some odd reason (as the food is not great) asked if we broke up to two separate tables if that would be easier. Same answer, litterally, "It doesn't matter.. it'll still be an hour. Minimum."

At this point I notice an empty table and another table paying a bill. No one else in line.

No offer to seat us in the lounge while we wait, just a clear message to "go". Which we did - to the Brasserie.

So - do yourself a favor - avoid this place like the plague. The food is barely adequate and the service (if they will "accept" you) is not good. Brasserie much better, as are some town offerings - including Messaluna, Curry Bowl, Picnic - and for breakfast - the Blue Toque.

Kelsey's? A place to be ignored and avoided at all costs.

Visited December 2010
4 Thank Roblaw
Legendarypowder, General Manager at Fernie Alpine Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2011
Thank you again for being so passionate about Fernie Alpine Resort and skiing with us for 30 years! We have and will continue to enhance the skiing and snowboarding experience and in fact we are making some new additions right now for many to enjoy including a new ski cross course for families to enjoy! As you experienced- La Nina is making a difference as we have already had over 14 feet of snow as of the 2nd week in January! We apologize for the service you had at Kelsey's and have followed up directly with our team. We hope that you would give it a second chance. Thanks again for skiing Fernie!
London
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Absolutely Awlful - I will never return”
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Hated it! Absolutely Hated it…
Granted it was February but the conditions were awlful! I would’ve thought that they would work on the snow overnight to make it better.
This place honestly didn’t seem to care – none of the snow machines were on, which was a surprise as the conditions really sucked!
When we went to Customer Service about the conditions we were told “tough luck” which didn’t surprise me as Ski resorts can be like this.
I was so upset as I had heard nothing but good things.
Honestly I would not bother ever again and will be heading to Panorama, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse or Sunshine (even Lake Louise was so much better)., all within driving distance of Calgary and Fernie.
I will never return to Fernie – Never

2 Thank Awanderingmemory
Legendarypowder, Public Relations Manager at Fernie Alpine Resort, responded to this review, December 2, 2010
Dear London
Apologize for the lack of care. We do pride ourselves on having friendly and fun staff who are passionate about the mountains and people. Please understand that we cannot do anything about the weather. I wish we could sometimes. But most of the time mother nature delivers at Fernie Alpine Resort. In fact the average snowfall is close to 30 feet a winter! This winter (2010/11) we have already had 8 feet of snowfall for November alone! In fact we opened the ski resort one week earlier than planned and now have more than 90 plus runs open by December 4th. We typically only run our snowmaking guns in the early season in high traffic locations. So it is not normal to have them running in February. But sometimes you get interesting weather in the mountains and we do react to do what we can. Most of the time our issue in Fernie is too much snow and our snow shovelers don't get any time off. We do hope you will try us again.
Montreal, Canada
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Wonderful friendly mountain : bring your lunch.”
Reviewed March 6, 2010

We skied 2 days here and loved it.
We took the mountain tour with our Kiwi friend Jean and loved it. Our ooys did lessons in the pm to perfect their levels ( 5 and 6)
Our 11 year got lost at one point and was rescued quickly by a great group of ski patrols (thanks to all of you !)
It was March so great groomed runs and spring conditions in the afternoon.
Bring your lunch if you can, the food is very expensive at the mountain.