“Great place to relax”

Blackstone Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 12 Fernie B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Thanks to Ian for a stunning place to stay. The accommodations were luxurious, the advice for the slopes invaluable. He made our stay one of the most memorable in a long time. Absolutely no hesitation to recommend this place to anyone. We will be sure to book early for the next visit we take to Fernie!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had to walk on accommodation elsewhere so when we got to Fernie late in the day we called Ian. We could not believe our luck as it happened we had the place to ourselves. The Three Sisters room, hot tub with a bottle of wine and media room. Felt like home.
Location is above the town attached to a sub division with a large private back yard and view. To us a plus was the private parking as we are always conscious of secure parking when travelling.
The train passing through town is distant and a non issue. One of us didn't even hear it.
Good location, good value, good breakfast and great hosts!

Room Tip: Go in Fernie's off season and take a bottle of bubbley.
2  Thank 2olddogs
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Ok I know everyone else has said it but this place really is 'the' place to stay if you are in or around Fernie. From their extensive travels, Ian and his wife know exactly what they'd want from a B&B and have translated this into an experience for others. Luxury and home comforts but with privacy (for all).

Starting with the building I think this should have featured on 'Grand Designs'. The traditional pine build is truely a fabulous piece of architecture. The rooms are all ensuite and it was a chance for us to relax. We started with a dip in the hot tub with a glass or two of Sauvignon Blanc!

Wished we'd stayed longer. Breakfast was great, home cooked by the host. A nice chance to meet other people and chat to a brit about living in Canada.

Would most definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I challenged Ian by saying that this B&B had a 100% rating to date, and that I hardly ever award 5 stars and would be looking at everything in detail and viewing it as a personal challenge to find something. He laughed! He had the last laugh too!

The home was designed, owned and run by 2 young Brits who have made a complete career change and set up a new life for themselves in trendy, remote Fernie, and what a job they have done. The home is built of huge logs and is on three levels, guests in the four guest rooms having the upper two levels, including a full kitchen, lounge and media room. There is also a cedar hot tub outside which proved entertaining in the dark when the outside lights went off after we had clambered in! My wife admits to pressing the wrong switch....

The lack of instructions and restrictions around the place were a boon after our Jasper experience and Ian actively encouraged us to go out, buy a bottle of wine, and get in the hot tub (just my wife and I of course)! We complied.

Ian cooked us Eggs Benedict in his own style, and there was plentiful toast too.

I really wish we had stayed longer because the place and hospitality were superb, and Ian and Charlotte clearly have an eye for detail and a real desire to see their guests happy.

In the attempt to find something to criticise I have to split hairs....the water from the hot tap was so hot it scalded me (I suspect incompetence on my part), there was no TV in the rooms just the 60" in the media room which is superb but not if other guests get there first and play programs not [ahem] to your taste! There were not many toiletries in the bathroom so bring your own.

Even splitting hairs this is all I can find to advise on, so 5 stars it is. Besides, Ian is a much bigger guy than me and has a crushing handshake so even in wit I don't intend to offend him! He and his wife have truly done an outstanding job! Book now!

Be warned he is now taking bookings for 2014 so be fast!!

Room Tip: All four are good, choose a good B&B instead - THIS ONE!
2  Thank CrosspoolSteve
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Everything that has been said in the other reviews is true, this is a truly fabulous place to stay. The hosts Charlotte and Ian make you feel most welcome and Ian is a good source for information on the area. Having use of the open plan living area is great and makes you feel at home. The bedrooms are very comfortable with all the required amenities. Ian makes a fantastic breakfast at a time that suits you. I was there for seven days and breakfast was different every day and the best I have experienced. This was much better than the best hotels I have stayed in and great value for money. I would not hesitate to recommend this place and will always use it should I return to Fernie.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2012

What can we add to the other outstanding reviews? This place is a gem in a very real sense. Huge log home, fit for Kings. Enormous kitchen, beautiful fully equipped king size bedrooms with ensuite and shower and tub, outside hot tub, huge wall mounted 60" TV screen. Bedroom views of the nearby Lizard Ski Mountain, ample parking out front of the home. Massive medieval style breakfast table and fully equipped kitchen if you wanted to create your own meals. Simply unbelievable. I suspect you would need to book early, I think we lucked out. Definitely recommend this B&B Ian is a great host.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dalenliz
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a fantastic B & B. There is so much attention to detail and comfort. There is not a bad view from any window in this amazing Lodge. I can see why this is a dream come true for Ian and his wife. The cedar hot tub is also a nice touch. The bed was comfy and cozy, the towels soft and fluffy. The attention to detail in the house itself also goes into the furniture - hand made beds, dressers, tables, chairs, benches. The breakfast was delicious and the coffee terrific too. I have never stayed at a B&B that gave the guests use of such a fantastic kitchen. This kitchen is so much more than many of us have at our own home. As I told Ian we will definitely be back in the Spring when we are through Fernie again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Castle room which had a fantastic view of the mountains. But I think every room ha...