“Fantastic B&B”
Review of Blackstone Lodge

Blackstone Lodge
Ranked #2 of 12 Fernie B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is a fantastic B & B. There is so much attention to detail and comfort. There is not a bad view from any window in this amazing Lodge. I can see why this is a dream come true for Ian and his wife. The cedar hot tub is also a nice touch. The bed was comfy and cozy, the towels soft and fluffy. The attention to detail in the house itself also goes into the furniture - hand made beds, dressers, tables, chairs, benches. The breakfast was delicious and the coffee terrific too. I have never stayed at a B&B that gave the guests use of such a fantastic kitchen. This kitchen is so much more than many of us have at our own home. As I told Ian we will definitely be back in the Spring when we are through Fernie again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Castle room which had a fantastic view of the mountains. But I think every room ha...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Blackstone Lodge

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Other reviewers have already said it all, and I concur: I would agree that not only was this our best B&B experience ever, but we are very thrilled that after a lot of research, we happened upon Blackstone Lodge, because staying there was a big part of what made our 2 day fly fishing trip to Fernie wonderful and memorable. The lodge was just what we were looking for, and Ian was the consummate host and cook. Lots of entertaining conversations about his many adventures, as well as delicious and artfully presented breakfasts added to the comfort, privacy, and elegance of our stay in the lodge. What a find: first class lodging at a very reasonable price. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meglill
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was traveling from Edmonton, AB to Whitefish, MT and decided to make a break in Fernie. Based on TA ratings, I decided to try the Blackstone Lodge even though I'm not a "B&B person". Unfortunately, their booking site said they were full, but i sent them an email and said keep me in mind.

About a week later I received an email saying they had a cancellation and I was in! They were very accommodating in asking when I planned to arrive (so they would be there to greet me) and what dietary requirements I had.

When I arrived, the hosts were there to greet me (with their newborn who had just come home) and they gave me a tour of the facility which was custom built to be a B&B. The main floor is all guest-space with a large eating area, fireplace, TV room, and kitchen. There is also a hot tub, which I didn't bother with, and of course the bedrooms. Mine was a king-sized on the 2nd floor looking at the ski fields across the valley.

The decor is immaculate and well thought out, the bed was extremely comfortable, and it was very, very quiet (except the freight trains which went through town about 3-4 times).

Breakfast was a gourmet event with fresh produce and cooked to order.

All in all, if all B&B's were like this I would consider passing up hotels for good! I heartily recommend the Blackstone Lodge and cannot imagine how you would not be equally impressed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We found this on the internet and decided to book a one nights stay this Sept and boy were we glad we did! Ian is a superb host and the rooms are wonderful along with the views. Ian's breakfast was bountiful and delicious!

We highly recommend Blackstone to any and all travelers. You will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: They're all good!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Found this B&B on the internet -- after reading all the great reviews on TripAdvisor, we booked. The place was easy to find, and WOW, when you drive up, you know you are in the mountains/forest. When you walk in the front door, you are amazed at the log staircase. The kitchen area is for the use of the guests, you have a full sized fridge to share with the other guests, as well as a wine fridge. The deck wraps around both sides of the lodge, it has amazing views. The rooms and bathrooms are very spacious and clean. This review does not do the place justice. Go to their website and see and the pictures, they don't lie!! We had great breakfasts both mornings, Ian and charlotte were great hosts. Ian was very knowledgeable about the area, where to go, where to eat. We will definitely be back to this great lodge. Only thing I would change for next time ----- I'd get a golf lesson from Ian !!!

Room Tip: We had the only room in the basement, it was quiet, and had a patio door to the back patio. Ian sai...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank whattheheck13
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had never been to Fernie before, but after such a lovely stay at the Blackstone, I would HIGHLY recommend visiting the city! Gorgeous views, the lodge felt extremely homey and welcoming. Our hosts, Ian and Charlotte, were so lovely, extremely professional, and accommodating. Breakfast was delicious and gluten-free, a touch I thought was very admirable. Their down-to-earth attitude only made us feel more at home and they had amazing recommendations regarding hiking trails and restaurants.
If you are ever in the area, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the front, so as to have a little more privacy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I come to Fernie often to partake in many of the activities available in and around town. Usually I would stay in a hostel or motel, but after many hours of research I came across the Blackstone lodge... and I have to say I am glad I did! Ian and Charlotte have really built an amazing B&B. It's rustic log cabin design is as warm and inviting as the hosts themselves. It offers great views of the surrounding mountains and country side, is easy to find, and all at a price that is extremely reasonable (believe me I know, I'm a student!).

From the moment we arrived we were greeted and made to feel at home. Ian and Charlotte made us feel more like we were visiting friends rather than just staying at their establishment. Not only did they give us a tour of the lodge, but also gave us tips on what we could do in town, where the hot spots are, and what activities there are to try. And the breakfasts are far from the boring "continental" that you would normally get from other B&B's.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the only place I would want to stay for my visits to Fernie. Regardless of whether it's a mountain biking or snowboard trip, or a romantic get away for you and your significant other, I recommend staying at the Blackstone Lodge... You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple