“2 Days too many...”

Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Fernie
Alberta Canada
“2 Days too many...”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Wow, stayed here 2 years ago, and had very good memories about this place... So I was ready to return to this property. If it wasn't for a business trip, it would have been my first time ever that I would have signed out in no time. The POOR rating is attributed to some of the good people working in this hotel...
Got there, and the Front Desk gentleman told me about a 45 min. running water interruption. I was happy with the info provided (even if not a positive one when you come from a long drive), and even more impressed about the correct time estimated duration. But from here, all went sideways. Not even 2 hours since arrived, one hotel customer storms into the room, apparently being double booked. Checked my key envelope, and notice that my room number was scribbled over another number previously assigned. The same young fellow from Front Desk was already on the corridor tracking down this client and advise him about the confusion. He also presented me his excuses, so really professional approach, but embarrassing for all of us.
The room, not a happy picture: with the exception of the TV, it was so 2000!!! I turned on the TV, noticed that channels were jumping from 13 to 17, so had no Weather Channel. Called Front Desk, and he told me whatever was on TV available, that was it. He couldn't even confirmed if TWC is one of the channels that should be on the channels menu! Apparently the hotel was not paying for all the channels... But come on, weather and the kids one missing? Really, 2 of the most important ones that a hotel can offer! Looking around in the room, no pen or writing pad to be found, a first for me... In the washroom, at the base of the toilet base, one impressive urine stain. If the next day would have been in Fernie, I would have loved to address all these with a manager. But knew that during business hours I will not be around the town, and for 2 nights at BW FML won't be the end of the world.
Jumping to the final morning, went downstairs to have Breakfast. I was already unhappy with previous morning's food, where blackened Bacon was served... Got my food & utensils, only to discover that the knife bundled with the fork was way out of this world dirty! Tried another bundle and same disgusting result. Thanks God that the fork was clean... Asked the Kitchen gentleman about getting a straw, and he said to me they do not carry any. 1 day before got one from the same place with the help of the Front Desk, but now... vanished! And the freshness of the bread & pastry products, don't even want to go there.
Walked out of the Breakfast Room only to discover that on one of the Floor Area TVs were displaying... The Weather Channel! Talked to FD about this, and she offered to send me a Tech to fix the problem, but I refused saying that I am leaving in less than an hour! And guess who is showing up in less than an hour? The Tech guy... Hopefully he had it fixed for the next ones that got my room.
And this is totally unrelated, but thanks to the Boston Pizza located in the same building, I promised myself this to be the last visit to a BP! The steak, a total joke...
I hope I was the most unlucky person with my stay, and this was a very isolated episode for this hotel. But I know for sure, it will be hard for me to get over this stay when returning to scenic Fernie...

Room Tip: Get a room on the ''real'' mountain side, is worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Wojtek H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and feedback. We apologize if your stay this time was not as enjoyable as previous ones. We hope that your previous memories will bring you back the next time you are in town so that you can see our improvements and have a relaxing, enjoyable stay. I have noted your feedback and we will address all the problems you listed accordingly at our next staff meeting. We will also be providing additional training for our staff to prevent any of these concerns in the future. We always strive to provide the best customer service to our guests and look forward to being able to provide that to you on your next visit.

Wojtek Hellwig

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Lethbridge, Alberta
Reviewed May 25, 2012

Stayed in Fernie on our way to Seattle. Our stay was a quick overnighter but we still enjoyed the hotel.

The room was large, clean and quite nice. We used the pool and workout room in the morning and found them to work just fine. The pool itself was very nice to swim and relax in. Found the decor and lobbey to be very nice and a good place to just sit and read if we had time.

Only negative was that the breakfast was just alright. The eggs were a little cold, pancakes were not available and had to wait to get hot water for my wife's tea.

I would recommend this hotel though to anyone going to Fernie.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElementTent
Dear Guest,
Thanks so much for staying with us recently and for your feedback. Our rooms are large and it sounds like you enjoyed the spacious accommodations as well as the hotel’s many amenities. I’ve noted your feedback about the breakfast during your stay so that we can improve that. We’re glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and that you recommend our hotel. We greatly appreciate your recommendation and look forward to having you as a guest again soon!

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2012

The rooms are large and comfortable. Our room had a fridge and microwave which was great. The pool is a bit small, and the hot tub was not particularly hot while we were there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed our large and comfortable rooms and its amenities. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will visit us again soon!

Wojtek Hellwing
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in a fireplace king room. Everyone was friendly. Outdoor hot tub was awesome. Indoor pool & hottub also great Attached to Boston pizza :) close to ski hill. We loved the iPod docking station and the Samsung tv. Overall great experience :)

• Stayed March 2012
Wojtek H, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
On behalf of our entire team I want to say thank you, your business is very important to us and we value your feedback. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Shari Callan
Guest Services Supervisor
BEST WESTERN PLUS Fernie Mountain Lodge
Calgary Alberta
Reviewed March 10, 2012

We have had the opportunity to stay at the Best Western in Fernie on three separate occasions and have not yet been disappointed!

Location: Within walking distance of some fast food restaurants as well as a couple of nicer restaurants.Boston Pizza is right on site. The hotel is right beside a grocery store as well as a Wine, Beer and Liquor store. It is a short 8-10 minute drive to Fernie Ski Resort and close to the Fernie Golf Course. There are also walking/running paths closeby.

Rooms: The rooms that we have stayed in have been quite spacious. This time we opted for a kitchenette room with a fireplace. There was a microwave, frig, stove top as well as dishes, cutlery and pots and pans. The room was very clean upon our arrival. My one little complaint and it is just a personal preference; was that the pillows were too big!

Service: The front desk and the breakfast room staff are very friendly and helpful.

Amenities: The front lobby area with the fireplace is very welcoming. There is a indoor pool and hot tub as well as a small but adequate fitness facility. The breakfast that is included was very good. Scrambled eggs, bacon, waffles or crepes, breads and muffins as well as yogourt. There is also a limited car rental service at the hotel and a massage clinic - by appointment. And of course the views are spectacular!

Whether you stay for a night or a week, what more could you ask for in a hotel!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor facing the back of the building - very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wojtek H, General Manager at Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with staff. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming your back.

Bent NM
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Best in Fernie, especially the oversized rooms with a thermostatically controlled fireplace. Breakfast is not much. It is run by a contractor in a small room off the lobby. Good internet service. Clean, well furnished rooms. An above average Best Western. Note that you need a key card to access anything, even the elevator.

Room Tip: Get the fireplace room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Odis P
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed in a suite that was a good size - two queen beds, sofabed, small kitchenette and fireplace. The room smelled musty whenever we returned, but opening the window seemed to help. The room seemed clean. If you are booking this hotel for the free hot breakfast, you might be disappointed. if you prefer a healthy breakfast. The only fruit was green bananas.They seem to ration the hot food because whenever we went they were almost out of food. The yogurt seemed homemade and not good at all - I needed to put honey in it. The scrambled eggs and bacon were good, but two days was enough of them. The pool and hot tubs were mediocre and we didn't use them during our stay. Boston Pizza is attached to the hotel. A grocery store, McDonalds and Tim Hortons are in the same vicinity. Do not use their maid service lights - too easy to forget to turn off. We accidently left our do not disturb light on, went skiing and returned to an unmade room. This is not a luxurious or new hotel, but is good for a ski weekend.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernie
Lizard Creek Lodge
Griz Inn Sport
Griz Inn Sport
#9 of 22 in Fernie
Causeway Bay Hotel Sparwood

Been to Best Western Plus Fernie Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!