“Decent food, grumpy rude staff” 2 of 5 bubbles

Blue Toque Diner
Ranked #9 of 54 Restaurants in Fernie
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Good eats and a cup of joe. Established in 2000. World flavours, fusion and cross-cultural cuisine for the omnivore, plant-based, vegan, vegetarian or eco-conscious diner.
Fernie, British Columbia, Canada
“Decent food, grumpy rude staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

As a local Fernie girl, I've been to the blue toque many times. It's unfortunate to see their manners slowly decline. I was shocked to see that they refused to let people sit in their dining room on a rather cold morning, claiming it will be open in an hour. What's the difference? Other then you prevent people from having to grab blankets out of their vehicles in order to withstand the temperatures outside. On this particular visit, our food was good but luke warm... After waiting in the cold I was lookin forward to eating something hot. I later asked and was given a to-go cup for my unfinished drink. I went back two days later and was greeted with a frown and an extremely rude waitress. I asked for a coffee to-go as I was merely dropping off a group and she said 'we don't do that.' I told her they did two days ago so she went back to who I assume was the manager. The woman made an awful face when the waitress said what I had asked. She referred us to another coffee shop that is regularly closed that day. We left after receiving nothing but grumpy unhappy interactions. It's sad to see a great restaurant turn sour with the employees and managers attitude. Businesses in Fernie need to remember they are in a small town, and people in small towns remember your face and attitude.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Helena V
bluebabyFernie, Owner at Blue Toque Diner, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I have responded to this reviewer personally.

Please refer to scjt309's review to better understand our seating policy.

Thanks for reading my response

Tanya Carre owner/operator The Blue Toque Diner

Fruitvale BC
“Time for Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

unique setting, we had the stuffed French toast, my husband just couldn't get enough, mmmm...
I had a good old fashions sausage and (perfectly poached)eggs, farm fresh eggs, locally made breakfast sausage,mmm. Not overwhelming amount of food on your plate, and the Waitress was very pleasant and efficient..

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank coopdepoop
UK
“Good food shame about the manager”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Blue Toque has amazing food and great staff-sadly the manager has no manners and for that reason I will not be going back.

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank kg19
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
“Great Lunch at Blue Toque”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Ate lunch with my wife and two boys on the veranda of the the old Fernie train station, now known as the Blue Toque restaurant. My lamb burger was juicy and delicious, the fresh fruit salad was awesome. My eldest son had a turkey quesadilla prepared special for him and he loved it. My wife and 9 year old split a back bacon BLT and strawberry spinach salad. The portions were large, and we all enjoyed our meals.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nanaimo, Canada
“The food was fine, but nothing to write home about.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The setting of the restaurant is unique and the waitress was excellent. The dishes that we ordered were just average, though. We had high expectations, based on other reviews, but were unimpressed. Next time we will try somewhere else.

Visited May 2013