“For dining at its finest”
Review of Sterling

Sterling
Reserve with OpenTable
Sterling is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 666 Restaurants in Gatineau
Price range: $24 - $5,875
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: District des Riverains
Description: Our restaurant's name reflects the quality of the meat that is served. Sterling Silver's remarkable breeding philosophy produces the highest quality of meat in Canada. Not only does Sterling Silver ensure incredible taste and tenderness, it surpasses any expectations.
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Impeccable service
Extensive wine list and alcohols
Incredibly tasty food
Superb ambiance

That sums it up for us! We were a party of three who ate at this restaurant on Saturday, October 20 (for the first time). From the moment we walked in, we knew it was going to be good; the decor is very relaxing, very "old world charm" feeling. The location is perfect (right across the road from the Gatineau River) and must be beautiful in the summer when you can sit outside on the patios. However, it was October and we sat inside at the ground floor part of the restaurant which was perfect for us (I think there were about 7 or 8 tables total) which meant a low noise level, ideal for conversation. Dominique was our waitress (a total professional) and she was pleasant, helpful and really good at what she does. The French onion soup was pronounced as "delicious", the Ceasar salad was wonderful and the three steaks were melt in your mouth good! The frites maison (ordered by all three of us) were the best we had tasted in a long time but way too much for us to eat! All in all a memorable meal and pronounced by my father, who is visiting from England, as the highlight of his visit!

We had a chance to watch the master griller cooking steaks (what an artist), and Mr. Ahmed Belharakat took us on a tour of the restaurant, including their wine cellar (oh my, do they have a wide selection). This has now become our favourite restaurant and we will definitely return.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

"When in Rome..." you eat steak. Went for a birthday party and enjoyed the visit. Good food all around. Not gourmet but steakhouse good. Typical menu choices all prepared above average. As the name suggests they serve "sterling" beef. In case you're wondering....Sterling is the American equivalent of Canadian Prime. Usually it will have a better marbling (MORE FAT, YUM). Personally I hate the direction most meat suppliers have gone because of the outcry for lean, tasteless products.The answer isn't to make meat lean so you can eat it 4 times a day....the answer is to eat BETTER TASTING meat less often. IMO. I'd love to see a section of the industry tackle that "gourmet" niche, without the crazy cost of Kobe.... Imagine a nice marbled pork roast.....Mmmmmmmm. You know that awesome fatty Rib steak they serve at Shwartz's in Montreal...like that!!! Anyway, back to the review....The maple wood fire is KEY. NO nasty propane flavors. The wine list is as good as any (and better than Bekta....much better). Some reasonably priced BIG wines. Our server was surprisingly knowledgeable about the wines offered...a pleasant surprise. If I could change it, I would offer a bit more variety on appetizers and especially sides but you have to draw a line somewhere I guess. Overall, I enjoyed my visit and would go back.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our first time to this restaurant and was based on many recommendations from friends and business colleagues . We had tried to go before but was always full when we tried. We saved it for a romantic 40th birthday dinner. It was amazing, the table was perfect – a ½ curved booth with view of the room and entertainment. The staff was very friendly and helpful on picking the right food. He had the Papa cut of steak – was so good! She had lobster tails 3 pieces, she is a light eater and really only wanted two, but went for it. Glad she did was the best by far she has ever had. Truly amazing taste and presentation and she ate it all!
Although higher priced very much worth it. The waiter was super, everything was done 100%. They brought a birthday desert for two (nice touch) – was so yummy. He is not a desert guy, but loved it too!
Best restaurant in Gatineau and maybe Ottawa area.

1  Thank GarryCari
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I really enjoyed the atmosphere, the service, the presentation, and the food. The waiters are very professional, unobtrusive, yet very friendly. We got a tour of the wine cellar and the cooking area. Excellent evening overall!

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My girlfriend invited me there for my birthday. She was recommended by a friend of her's and she also figured that by the tripadvisor reviews it would be a good place... We were seated on the second floor, in the middle of the room. The restaurant looks nice, there's a pianist playing, our table was fine. We figured this would be a nice meal. Our waiter brought the menus and we took a look. We ordered beer. We immediately noticed that a lot of attention was being given to a private group of 20 or so people. Most waiters are in and out of that room constantly. After about 5 minutes, we had chosen our meal and deposited our menus on the table. Our beer arrived.

Then we waited...

30 minutes had passed with no one checking on us and taking our order. I kept looking at my watch, in disbelief. Eventually, our waiter came and asked for our order. By then I had almost finished my beer, which I was sipping. We both ordered a cold and hot starter each, as well as a 12oz Filet Mignon. We are big fans of steak and whenever we travel, we try each place's steakhouse. The waiter left with our order. After about 10 minutes, we noticed that a group, which arrived about half an hour after us had a basket of bread. Now, as this was already late in the evening and with the wait and all, we would have appreciated the bread. My girlfriend catches the waiter as politely asks for bread like everyone else has. Another waiter comes by with a basket of bread and leaves. Then we laughed because the porcelain butter cup was empty. So we asked our waiter for butter and he said "someone brought this empty butter cup?". Anyway, he ends up bringing butter and we tried the bread. We laughed again. You know when you cut a baguette and after a while it becomes dry on what should have been the soft part? Well our bread was so dry it would have easily passed as Grissol snacks. I'm not sure when they had cut the baguette, but it was a long time ago. We also noticed everyone was getting the "meat presentation" which is usual in most steakhouses... We never did.

Eventually our first starter showed up. I had 6 oysters and my girlfriend had the beef tartar. My oysters tasted good, although the citrus vinegar sauce was bland. Presentation was also poor, as they had mangled the oysters. For my girlfriend's beef tartar, it was a decent portions and came with enough biscuits. Unfortunately, it was missing a good kick in spices. In fact, it is wasn't for the capers adding an acidic taste to it, it would probably taste like plain raw ground beef. She's had quite a few beef tartar over the years and this one was her second worse.

For our next starter, I had the Fois Gras poutine and she had the Escargots feuilletés. This time we were both satisfied with our plate. My poutine was amazing, the fries were great. The Camembert cheese perfectly matched the Fois Gras. Good success there. My girlfriend also enjoyed the Escargots, which was a generous portion. Eventually came the main course of our meal.

The moment we were waiting for.

I had ordered a medium rare filet mignon with a baked potatoes and Port sauce on the side. My girlfriend ordered the same except homemade fries and mushroom sauce on the side. The plate itself looked decent, the meat wasn't bathing in juices and the sear looked good. We both had very different portions of the veggies that accompanied the meat though. As I cut my first piece, I noticed the meat is perfectly cooked. Even sear around the meat, bright pink and moist on the inside. I also, unexpectedly, noticed that it had a lot of fat and tiny veins in the meat. The filet mignon is usually the cut with the least amount of fat. And I've never had a filet mignon with veins in it. So I had a bite, and it was quite bad. It tasted extremely watery. It didn't taste like meat at all. My girlfriend's filet was also tasteless. I had to dip my pieces in the Port sauce just so I could eat it. I never eat steak with sauce unless it's bad. My girlfriend on the other hand wasn't so lucky as her mushroom sauce was also devoid of taste. After a while, we both just stopped and asked for the bill. This place is extremely expensive for what you get. We have been to places a quarter of the price and we left with a smile on our face.

At no point did anyone ask us how any of our plates were and if we were satisfied. We are not the kind of people that openly complain about stuff and maybe we should have. Now, I am aware that this place is 5th in Gatineau and therefore it is being enjoyed by a lot of people. What might have happened to us is probably bad luck/bad timing. That being said, I will never go there again, and will not be recommending it to my friends.

9  Thank Nicolas B